Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mounting Navman on Motorcycle
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mounting Navman on Motorcycle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ib1-2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 1:31 am    Post subject: Mounting Navman on Motorcycle Reply with quote

I have a Aprilia Futura motorcycle and want to fit my ipaq/navman sleeve to it. Idealy I would like to use the hole in the middle of the yoke and fit an expanding bolt with a ball attachment so I can fit a ram type PDA holder. Anyone know where I can get such a ball fitting? Have looked at RAM products but can't find such a thing.
Managed to use the windscreen flexi suction mount on the tank but I don't feel confident that it won't not drop off, unlike a car a bike vibrates more.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Brian
Griff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest i have tried a feww different ideas but have ended up using the clear pocket on my tank bag stops it getting wet also gives it a cushioned home 8)
bigfatjohn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't be very helpful because I don't know what your Aprilia looks like, or what mounting options are possible, but this is how I did it on my bike.....

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/john-childs.php

You might like to consider drilling your blind hole right through and using a nut and bolt, if it is possible. If you can't get at it from the other side could you just tap a thread in it?

I think a swan neck is a good idea as it damps out the vibrations, although I don't suffer from that too much myself.

Let us know how you get on.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, it sounds like you're going to need a RAM based mounting system. You can completely customise the system buy buying each part seperately from ball to arm, to double ball, to cradle, it's strong and versatile.

I am told that RAM UK will have a website available in the next day or so which should show various mounting systems and also show them fitted to motorbikes. Their website is http://www.ram-mount-uk.com
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting Navman on Motorcycle Reply with quote

ib1-2 wrote:
I have a Aprilia Futura motorcycle and want to fit my ipaq/navman sleeve to it.

I have a CBR600 and I use a U-bolt RAM mount on the left handlebar. It works well and they are only about 20 quid. This is the one I brought: http://www.gpsw.co.uk/details/prod302.html

Otter do armoured, watertight cases for PDAs if you are an all-weather biker. http://www.otterbox.com/

Let us know how you get on!

You can mix and match all manner of bits for RAM mounts. My favourite is the Gun holder:

Thumbs Up

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: