Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which is faster - HD card or the hard drive
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which is faster - HD card or the hard drive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mightyyid
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Which is faster - HD card or the hard drive Reply with quote

Chaps

I have a TT 720, and have the Western Europe map and everything that came with it. Also did the 4 updates a year guarantee last year.

Then, in Jan, we moved to Melbourne, thus I bought the Australia map and downloaded it. This now runs from the SD card in there, a 1gig one I used for this. It all works.

Now, I'd like to understand would there be any benefit in swapping the sd card and the hard drive around - basically, moving everything on the hard disk of the 720 to a larger SD card so I do not lose the map update (and ensuring I keep it update for my return trips to Blighty) and then moving the Australia map to the hard drive?

Is it worth it and how would I do it? Does TT 720 need to access the hard drive for certain files before accessing the memory card?

And finally, different topic - how come my battery has started as pants and now is so bad that when fully charged will, after 2-3 mins, read 3/4 full and then expires after about 15 minutes. I know the hot weather here has effected it but this is crazy. It never used to last more than an hour when new but this is awful. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Andy
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The flash memory fitted internally may be infinitesimally faster than the SD Card memory but you could never measure it so it doesn't matter in practice where the map is stored.

The x20's and x30's can mix and match i.e. Software on internal memory and maps, music and other extras on a memory card.

As for the battery, not a lot you can do except get it replaced. Sounds like it was faulty from new and mine lasts a lot longer than that and has been heavily used and abused. Is it still under warranty?
mightyyid
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Darren

Good to know the speed will not matter.

Well out of warranty, so are there any recommendations where to buy replacement batteries from and can it be changed yourself or do I have to send back to TT - I imagine here in Aus because sending it to the UK would take even longer? And what cost of there?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could have a read of This Thread which details gaining access to the battery, getting the battery off the PCB is a different matter though - read the entire thread (incl page 2) to see what happened.

I would also urge caution when messing around with these type of batteries, don't cut in to it with a knife or it could explode.

If the device works on the charger cable I wouldn't bother getting it fixed until it packs up all together (if this even ever happens) - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: