Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tomtom 710 lost SD Card
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tomtom 710 lost SD Card

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dagsky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:52 pm    Post subject: tomtom 710 lost SD Card Reply with quote

hey guys, i'm going nuts here, i've lost my sd card for my tt710, now when i switch it on it just shows the screen with the picture of a sd card to be inserted into the tomtom. It won't do anything else at all!!! I don't know what map versions i now need to get, i don't know what app version my tomtom is running on! Its so frustrating its driving me nuts!! Can someone help pliz...

thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a back up of what was on the SD card available from your computer? - if so it will be easy to get the device back up and running - if not it will cost you the price of a map and quite a bit of time downloading/ installing files - but it will be possible to recover the device - Mike
dagsky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No unfortunately i don't have anything downloaded from my sd card! However i do have a previous backup of my maps from another tt, i didn't know how to back it up so got my mate to do it and all there is, is a folder called TomTom v7.910.9185(7.25.1906). This folder has other files in it and the total size of the folder is 1.6gb. Would this work on my tomtom?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dagsky wrote:
However i do have a previous backup of my maps from another tt

That's a bit of a contradiction... you can't (legally) have your maps on another TT.

If the backup is of a different TT and it's own maps, it's of no use to you as the maps are locked to a particular device.

The way forward is to buy a new blank 2GB SD card, then we can get you sorted with the software (that is available for free) either direct from TomTom using their "Home" utility software or by a manual installation if you have problems.

Then, once the machine is running, you need to buy and download a new map via TomTom Home.
dagsky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so last night while waiting on a solution from the forums i did try and use my maps from my previous tt on this tt that i have now, the unit booted up nicely and i was asked to activate the maps!! So obviously i can't activate them because they belong to a different tt! So it looks as though the software on the actual tt is ok it just needs the maps to get it working, well i hope so!

Now i went to tomtom site to buy maps but i have no idea which version to get because apparently something called NAVCORE has to be 7 or 8?! Am i correct in assuming that this NAVCORE is the software on my tt?

Also another major important thing i discovered last night is that my home dock for the tt 710 is briken Shocked ! It must've got broke when i was moving house cause i never paid attention to it as i thought i'd never use the damn thing! Is there any way to update it without the home dock? If i need the home dock any idea of where to get it from? Checked on the bay and they like +£20.....
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dagsky wrote:
so last night while waiting on a solution from the forums i did try and use my maps from my previous tt on this tt that i have now, the unit booted up nicely and i was asked to activate the maps!! So obviously i can't activate them because they belong to a different tt! So it looks as though the software on the actual tt is ok it just needs the maps to get it working, well i hope so!

Ah, you didn't say the card you had was from another TT you owned...

but anyway, No, the software isn't on the Go at all. It lives on the card, not in the Go. But as I said before, getting the software isn't a problem, it is easy to download and it's free.

Quote:
Now i went to tomtom site to buy maps but i have no idea which version to get because apparently something called NAVCORE has to be 7 or 8?! Am i correct in assuming that this NAVCORE is the software on my tt?

Yes, Navcore is the software.
If you don't mind using the card you have (and it is big enough), you can update the software on that one.
You update the software using TomTom "Home" but if the software you have on that card is really old, you need to use an old version of Home to begin the update process.
Download Home v1.6 from HERE, using the link BELOW the main link for the new version on the left.
Install that, and use "Update" to get new software. You may need to "update" more than once to get it as far as it can (probably v6. something).
Once you have done that, you then need to download Home v2.5 from the same page - large link on the left this time.

This has a different "look and feel" but use "Update" again and it should update the software to v7.903 (there is no version 8 software for your machine yet).

Once you've done that, you can then use Home to buy a new map, and Home will install it for you (again, so long as that card is big enough).
As I said above, you can do all that on a completely new 2GB card if you prefer.

Quote:
Also another major important thing i discovered last night is that my home dock for the tt 710 is briken Shocked ! It must've got broke when i was moving house cause i never paid attention to it as i thought i'd never use the damn thing! Is there any way to update it without the home dock? If i need the home dock any idea of where to get it from? Checked on the bay and they like +£20.....

Doh!
I wish you had written that first! it would have saved a lot of typing!
Well basically you need to be able to plug a USB cable into the machine. As far as I can remember, the windscreen mount doesn't have a mini-USB socket, so you are going to have to get a new Home dock before you can do anything.
£20 seems pretty cheap, unless you can get something second-hand from fleaBay.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: