Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - C510E Fatal Error after using V3 Map Updater.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

C510E Fatal Error after using V3 Map Updater.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcinpo167xl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: C510E Fatal Error after using V3 Map Updater. Reply with quote

Hi,

I have just used the utility to synchronise my C510E camera database followed by the MIO Map V3 Updater utility to update languages etc. Both utilities found data to download and both returned operation successful messages.

However, now when I try to start MioMap it gets as far as 'Mainscreen Load' and then displays a 'Fatal error occured, Restarting' message. An error code of 'OSCAR210AEURR35F' is shown before the device resets itself. It then shows the main menu screen from where I can select MioMap and go around that loop indefinetely.

I have tried the on/off reset switch on the unit but that didn't do anything. I have successfully used these utilities before but not since around early january. The device is standard and not tweeked in any way.

Anybody have any suggestions?

David
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: C510E Fatal Error after using V3 Map Updater. Reply with quote

dcinpo167xl wrote:
Hi,

I have just used the utility to synchronise my C510E camera database followed by the MIO Map V3 Updater utility to update languages etc. Both utilities found data to download and both returned operation successful messages.

However, now when I try to start MioMap it gets as far as 'Mainscreen Load' and then displays a 'Fatal error occured, Restarting' message. An error code of 'OSCAR210AEURR35F' is shown before the device resets itself. It then shows the main menu screen from where I can select MioMap and go around that loop indefinetely.

I have tried the on/off reset switch on the unit but that didn't do anything. I have successfully used these utilities before but not since around early january. The device is standard and not tweeked in any way.

Anybody have any suggestions?

David

Try reinstalling Miomap 3.1 from the disk - it should fix the problem and then you can try reinstalling Miomap 3.2 via the update (make sure that you clear the Miomap 3.2 update cache folder on your hard drive).

Gareth.
dcinpo167xl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gareth et al,

Excuse my ignorance. I renamed most of the directories/files in the miotec cache directory on my PC and then reloaded MioMap v3.2 from the original installation disk. This has fixed the fatal error (Thanks!).

When I go back to use the MioMap updater tool, it now says 0kB will be downloaded but 6245kB will be copied to device. I guess that indicates there is still stuff in the cache(?), which you told me to get rid of. I
renamed most of the directories and files in the cache but it still finds something from somewhere so I need more specific advice on where it is.

If I proceed with the update it tells me, ' An update is in progress' 'Cannot upload a file to device'.

At least the device is working again but I'd still like to update the application if possible. Any more help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

David
dcinpo167xl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, the plot thickens. I renamed both the 'Mio DigiWalker' and 'Mio Technology' directories on my PC and reinstalled the updater tool from the Mio site. I re-ran the updater and it found the application updates on the Mio website and downloaded it/them to the PC and then uploaded it/them to the C510E.

Prior to this I had re-installed the original v3.2 from the installation disk and the C510 was working. When the updater had finished its thing, the C510 was left yet again with the fatal error and the same error msg. This implies that the download from the Mio website is causing the problem.
Can't believe I'm the only one getting this problem.

David
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcinpo167xl wrote:
Ok, the plot thickens. I renamed both the 'Mio DigiWalker' and 'Mio Technology' directories on my PC and reinstalled the updater tool from the Mio site. I re-ran the updater and it found the application updates on the Mio website and downloaded it/them to the PC and then uploaded it/them to the C510E.

Prior to this I had re-installed the original v3.2 from the installation disk and the C510 was working. When the updater had finished its thing, the C510 was left yet again with the fatal error and the same error msg. This implies that the download from the Mio website is causing the problem.
Can't believe I'm the only one getting this problem.

David

No, you're probably not the only one. Truth is however few people - other than tech confident people - try to update (most people I know who have sat nav devices don't).

The update process is to be honest not very good. There have been a number of documented bugs including the GB postcode mapping issue.

Instead of renaming the cache files maybe you could delete them altogether *and* uninstall the Mioupdater application before reinstalling it.

There were some reports, when the initial 3.2 update became available, that deleting the cache didn't force download of all the new files.

Another option - but this is probably a long shot - is that you have a corrupt Windows installation. But if this was the case then surely the disk reinstall would also fail. I wouldn't be too concerned that your unit is at fault - it's much more likely to be something to do with the update process.

You could report a fault to Mio or arrange for your device to be returned to the retailer for a refund exchange.

I would bet however that there's something dodgy going on with the update process rather than with your unit specifically.

Gareth.
Morkin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there is anything wrong with your Mio.

I believe there is something wrong with the files on the mio server where miomap updater gets its files from.

Look at http://www.mio-tech.be/updates/miomap/

You will notice that miomap.exe and data.zip are changed to miomap.exe-bak and data.zip-bak.

You can imagine that any update right now is doomed.

Why the files are renamed beats me!!
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morkin wrote:

Look at http://www.mio-tech.be/updates/miomap/

You will notice that miomap.exe and data.zip are changed to miomap.exe-bak and data.zip-bak.

Look also in:
http://www.mio-tech.be/updates/miomappda/
There are other files including a different version of data.zip

Sal
dcinpo167xl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input on this. Since my last post, I repeated the whole process one more time and the update seemed to work 'normally'. The miomap application file downloaded had a much smaller size, which seems suspicious, but it all works again now and I appear to be completely uptodate according to the updater utility.

Still waiting on a reply to the email I sent to the MioTech support team. Not overly impressed with that level/lack of support but thats nothing I didn't know about in advance from looking at this website.

Thanks again for your support on this site. Greatly appreciated.

David
DeeJay01
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant believe that I didn't read this topic before trying to upgrade to v3.2 second edition.

Here is my drama:

I tried to upgrade last night, although I had V3.2 but I was lead to believe from other forum that V3.2 was re-released in Jan 07 which would allow TMC reception from ITIS.
After trying to upgrade i kept on getting the error "upgrade unfinished. HTTP exception error has occured" even though I didn't lose my connection.
I followed the instructions from the Mio site and deleted the cache files and tryied the upgrade again. After many time I finally got the upgrade completed message and thought all was well (How wrong was I).
Each time I tried to turn on my device and press either MAP or COCKPIT it would give me a message about one of the maps having an error then exit MIO MAP.
My only was to install the mio from the DVD which put me back to V3.1

This made me start the whole process again. The upgrade reported that it was successful but now its stuck on on V3.1. The other this that I have noticed is that the lock icon has changed to follow. Whats that about?
I have contacted MIO via email but you know that story on their support.
I should have left it as it was.

Any suggestions?
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeeJay01 wrote:
I cant believe that I didn't read this topic before trying to upgrade to v3.2 second edition.

Here is my drama:

I tried to upgrade last night, although I had V3.2 but I was lead to believe from other forum that V3.2 was re-released in Jan 07 which would allow TMC reception from ITIS.
After trying to upgrade i kept on getting the error "upgrade unfinished. HTTP exception error has occured" even though I didn't lose my connection.
I followed the instructions from the Mio site and deleted the cache files and tryied the upgrade again. After many time I finally got the upgrade completed message and thought all was well (How wrong was I).
Each time I tried to turn on my device and press either MAP or COCKPIT it would give me a message about one of the maps having an error then exit MIO MAP.
My only was to install the mio from the DVD which put me back to V3.1

This made me start the whole process again. The upgrade reported that it was successful but now its stuck on on V3.1. The other this that I have noticed is that the lock icon has changed to follow. Whats that about?
I have contacted MIO via email but you know that story on their support.
I should have left it as it was.

Any suggestions?

If you have the follow icon then all I can say is that the follow icon appeared with the recent January release of 3.2. Logically therefore you must have at least some elements of 3.2. If your device is reporting 3.1 then surely the install couldn't have been a success. Is it still reporting 3.1? Could you try a hard reset (move the on/off slider)?

Other than that you could try starting again. Reinstall 3.1 from the disk. Then uninstall the updater software and then manually delete the remaining folders on the hard drive if there are any remaining. Reinstall the 3.2 updater and then see if the process is a success.

Gareth.
Morkin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Lock" button has only been renamed to "Follow" button.
That's all there is to it.

I think that Mio considered this name more appropriate.
DeeJay01
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well its offical, I have no satnav now.
I've had to revert back to Mio Map V3.1 and experiencing all the dreaded crashes that I used to get before I had a stable V3.2

I have to say that I'm P!$$@d off and will have to phone the dreaded Mio Tech Support.
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeeJay01 wrote:
Well its offical, I have no satnav now.
I've had to revert back to Mio Map V3.1 and experiencing all the dreaded crashes that I used to get before I had a stable V3.2

I have to say that I'm P!$$@d off and will have to phone the dreaded Mio Tech Support.

Before you send your unit off for repair is there anything else you can try?

Could you uninstall all Mio apps on your PC and then delete any remaining files/folders.

Reinstall Miomap 3.1 to the Mio (even over what you think is a good install).

Then try the update process again.

??

There's no way that a software update process should corrupt the Windows install on your Mio.

Another option may be to post here with details of the files that are visible on your Mio using the Mio transfer hack prog.

Hopefully you would then be given advice on which errant files to delete so that you can pursue a clean 3.1 install and then an upgrade to 3.2.

Good luck.
Dilcymro
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morkin said,
Quote:
The "Lock" button has only been renamed to "Follow" button.
That's all there is to it.

So that `s where it came from and there`s me panicking , thinking something was wrong. Yes I did restore old mapping etc and then updated via the site, so the follow button was down to that.

Couldn`t someone have told me when I posted the question????? Rolling Eyes

Regards....Dil
DeeJay01
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All,
I've just spent 25 mins on the phone with Mio (£9) for them to say they are aware of the update problem. They have said that it works for some people but are still trying to work out why it doesn't work for all.
Before I go on I must say that the 0905 number is shuch a rip off as I waited for 7-10 mins before anyone answered (£2.45 - £3.50).

I near enough shouted at them saying, "If you are aware why is there nothing posted on your website to reflect that". Needless to say I got silence.

The only thing she said was to go back to the installation discs (which means V3.1 for me) until they have resolved the issue where she will update me via email. So I will restore 1 more time and post the details on here as was suggested earlier by 4pm today UK time.

Thanks for everyones support (I feel so naked without my C710 the way it was)

BTW, Another thing that my C710 has started doing (it may have done it before but I have never noticed it). If it is not connected to the main and I leave it without a gps fix for more than 20 mins, the screen goes blank. Before you ask the backlight and power settings have been checked.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: