Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom XL v2 Europe TTS: report
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom XL v2 Europe TTS: report
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
P4ul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: TomTom XL v2 Europe TTS: report Reply with quote

EDIT: See bottom of thread for a report on this unit that I will update as I find out more about it

Hi

Great forum, have learned a lot in a few hours of reading and thanks to lots of useful info I've just ordered a TomTom XL v2 with TTS. Apparently the unit comes with 31 western/central european countries + 9 others with major roads only. I know that the V2 doesn't come with an SD card slot but I can't find any info on the internal memory, do you know what the capacity is and am I going to be able to load the full PGPS camera and POI DBs + a custom cursor? edit: just found a page saying it has 1GB "available internal memory" is that total or free? Also found a thread where someone is sceptical about the XL's ability to process TTS as well as do all the other stuff it does. Confused

Also, I don't think it comes with a mains charger but presumably it will charge over USB when connected to a PC?

Are there still issues with v8.x software?

Finally, anyone know if any Lexus models have been fitted with athermic front screens (I know the facory nav antenna is mounted under the rear screen)?

Apologies for so many questions, I've been searching around a lot to try to answer them so don't call the search police!

Thanks,

Paul

Last edited by P4ul on Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:36 pm; edited 3 times in total
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is such a new machine there won't be much to find in a "search" of the forum, so we'll let you off! Wink

If you can believe the Comet ad, it says:
Quote:
Other Features: 1GB Available internal memory

(But then it also says: "Available internal memory: Not featured" Rolling Eyes

It's also got a full country list on there, but unfortunately doesn't give a map size.

The camera database and a few POIs don't take up much space at all so I would have thought they would fit without any problem. You may need to delete an unused TTS voice to free up some space.

Yes it will chage from a PC over USB, but slower than from the car charger. You really should assume you'll be using it on the car charger all the time in the car, battery life won't be more than a couple of hours.

Yes, v8 software still has some issues, but mainly when running on machines that weren't designed for it. This will probably come with v8 installed already.

Don't know about Lexuses, but all recent TomTom's cope pretty well with athermic windscreens.

Last edited by Andy_P on Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:54 am; edited 1 time in total
P4ul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy, that's helpful. I guess some of this stuff I'll just have to try it and see then post back my results! Smile
P4ul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, it's here Smile

Box is marked as XL Europe 31 Special Edition and comes with 12 months free European breakdown assistance

The unit has 2GB nominal storage capacity with about 400MB free out of the box (before deleting rubbish and adding PGPS POI and camera DBs)

PN on the box is 8EGO.002.02.7.52 and on the unit is 4EGO.001.09

No software updates required on login via TomTom home (unsure of version), map is at least 5 years out of date judging by the road network in Brecon (not a top priority for remapping I guess). Updating through MapShare shows a lot of changes.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switch the device on and tap the sat strength meter, followed by the version box on the right side of the screen, this will tell you what software version and map version is installed on the device - what are they?

I hope you have made a full Windows Explorer backup of the device - if you are not too sure how to do this please ask and someone will point you at the instructions, don't rely on the TomTom Home software to produce a fully usable backup - Mike
P4ul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah backed it up (IT manager, learned those lessons the hard way!)

Device ABCDE ABCDE
App 8.014 (9372/080612) OS: 198799
32MB RAM (free 1.6MB)
GPS v1.21, Boot 5.5019
Map: 'Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB' v725.1915
P4ul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have loaded cursor, cameras, icons and voice (came with Vocaliser TTS), cameras display OK as POIs, yet to test the config of warnings but these are set (pain). TomTom cameras removed.

Any 'must have' or 'nice to have' apps/utilities recommended?

Ta
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than the speed camera database from this site I doubt there will be much elase that will run on the unit very well:

1/ Its a new unit
2/ TomTom removed the support for 3rd party applications a while back

If you want to try the camera warnings try this:
Use Advanced Planning/ Prepare Route (AtoB)

Set a dearture point of Adrees/ Postcode and enter FY43NN number 95

Set a destination of PR41AX number 33 (if needed)

When you get the route summary screen press "Details" then "Route Demo" set the speed to around 100% and press "Play" sit back and listen/ watch - saves fuel and lets you know the warnings are working - Mike
P4ul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, seems to work fine with TTS so I won't worry about the additional voice unless Serena gets on my nerves
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never heard "Serena" unless she reads the news on the BBC, Kate and Simon are the Text To Speech voices associated with the Go devices which use Loquendo, so I guess the "Vocaliser" TTS system has different voices which are employed on the XL with TTS that you have purchased.

It will be interesting to compare the difference between the two TTS systems in terms of clarity vs file size and processor overhead though - Mike
Minidish
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: A new model brings new challenges :) Reply with quote

Had the unit about a week now but not tested it thoroughly. *Paid £116 with discount coupon from Comet*
See below for my report to TomTom tech support:

Just bought the new TomTom XL Europe 31 Special Edition, downloaded the latest TomTom Home 2.5.2.60, created a new account, tried to use the 30 day map guarantee but it says "Either the 30 day period has expired for your device or your device was not sold with a latest map guarantee."
Also when I connect my TomTom to TomTom Home it ask me to "Link device to my TomTom Account" when I attempt to link it I get the following message:

ERROR: 573/#https://home.tomtom.com/account/setDevice: Error from server: You have an invalid version of the TomTom application installed on your TomTom device. To use HOME you need to install the correct version of the TomTom application.
You have an invalid version of the TomTom application installed on your TomTom device. To use HOME you need to install the correct version of the TomTom application.
Server function called: setDevice
Error code: 573
URL: https://home.tomtom.com/account/setDevice
Stack:
0. chrome://tthome/content/logic/comm.js:437
this.errorSeverity);
1. chrome://tthome/content/logic/comm.js:413
this._doneCallbacks();
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/comm.js:273
this.request.onload = function() { me._done(true); }

Time: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 14:16:38 GMT"

When I go through menu and select "Update my XL" it checks and comes back with message saying "No items available"
When I try the menu "Operate my XL" it says "This function is not yet supported for your navigation device or operating system"

My unit is making a very high pitched noise, is this normal?

Looking forward to any help
Regards
Paul.

"Response"
Dear ,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support
Your reference for your query is **************.

This is because your newly purchased device has the very latest software version , It's so new that HOME cant recognise it ,
An update will be released shortly so that HOME will be able to .

May we suggest that you wait until this becomes available

Please do no not worry about the 30 day limit on the LMG ( latest map guarantee) . If the update comes after the 30 day period has expired Tomtom will honour the LMG .

Our apologies for the inconvenience ,

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team
2 other things I have found: That the speed camera voice warnings are not recognised, the only way I found to have voice warnings was to make use of the text to speech and type my own warnings for each camera, not really a problem just gets a bit monotonous.

My RDS which I used on the TT ONE will not fit as this new unit uses the small usb plug which is intended to be plugged into the cigar charger lead.

Regards
Paul
CamerAlert on Galaxy S2
Wife 4 backup
c2rm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks

Firstly I am trying to paste information in my post from an answer received from tomtom but I keep getting a message about tags and html. Can anyone tell me what to do? Nicely that is as it is still close to Xmas!

I bought my wife the XL from Comet and have been having the same problems. I sent a question through the tomtom help pages and was surprised to get an answer yesterday
The question I raised was:

Hi
I have a Tomtom XL Europe Special Edition purchased from Comet before Christmas. When try to connect to TomTom Home and link the device to my account I get the following message:

Can’t paste it but it is the same as above

Clearly there is an error here as the device is a genuine TomTom product and I suspect that your website/servers have not been updated to accommodate this new device. Additionally, when trying to use the 'latest map guarantee' I find that nothing happens and Home just freezes. Again, an error but I am concerned that my 30 days may expire before the problem is resolved. Can you give some assurance that I will be able to take advantage of the latest map guarantee?

I have pasted below the system information as provided through Home.
I await your reply

The answer I got back was:

Dear ,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support.
Your reference for your query is XXXXX

Thank you for sending me the system information, this helped in determining the problem you are having. Please follow these instructions to resolve the issue. I appreciate that this may look a little bit involved, but the steps below are necessary to cover all eventualities.

STEP 1 Install the latest version of TomTom Home

If you haven't already done so, please download and Install the latest version of TomTom Home from http://www.tomtom.com/home

STEP 2 Make a Backup

Reset your TomTom device: http://www.tomtom.com/6965 and connect it to your computer.
Open TomTom Home
Click on 'Backup and Restore - Backup' in TomTom Home 2.x
Proceed with making a full backup of your device.
See http://www.tomtom.com/3171 in how to do this also.

IMPORTANT: We advise you to follow the next steps ONLY if you have made a successful backup of your device as described in Step 2. If you are unable to complete step 2, please reply back to this email and let us know what happens.

STEP 3 Delete the Application Files

Open My Computer in Windows, you will see the TomTom as a removable disk. Double click into it.
You will see a list of folders and a list of loose files
Delete all of the loose files. IMPORTANT: The folders with their content must NOT be deleted.

STEP 4 Delete the Downloaded Program Application file on your computer

Open TomTom Home 2.x
Click on ‘Remove Items - Items from My Computer’
Tick the option for ‘Applications’
Click on ‘Remove Selected Items’

STEP 5 Update Your Device.

Next we will reinstall the application via TomTom HOME.

Open TomTom Home
TomTom Home will check for updates. If not, click on 'Update my Go', or 'Update My One'
In the list of updates, you will see a 'Program Application'.
Deselect all other updates that may appear then click on 'Update and Install'. This will download and install the program application update.
Please repeat STEP 6 until no further application updates are offered.
Once complete, Click on 'Device - Disconnect Device', then turn off your device and disconnect it from your computer.
Switch the TomTom on.
The device should load up to the map screen.

When switching on the device it should boot as normal again. If it does not boot up to the main map screen, please make a note of what happens exactly and reply back to us with this information.

Someone tell me what to do and I will share it!

Edit Once to add the answer from TT CS (Note I had to remove the greater than sign three times) - Mike Alder
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove any of the greater than or less than signs from the text and try again as the site will not allow these characters within a post, or you could e-mail the reply to me (use the e-mail button below this post) and I will add it to your post above - Mike
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have requested some details from TomTom about this issue, they would like the full part number and serial numbers from the base of these devices - if you can e-mail or PM these details to me I will forward them - Hopefully this can be resolved - Mike
c2rm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike

Thanks for your help with this. I have emailed the information you requested

Rgds Mark

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: