Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Anyone found a replacement internal speaker for nuvi 660
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone found a replacement internal speaker for nuvi 660

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhilGarmin
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Anyone found a replacement internal speaker for nuvi 660 Reply with quote

The speaker on my 660 has died recently, contacted Garmin and they will not supply any spare parts at all Evil or Very Mad . They will exchange the unit for £130 though Shocked Mad Evil or Very Mad

The speaker has a damaged coil and sometimes works but is very distorted. I believe there have been many reports of this problem as well with the 350.

Its approx 35mm dia and meant to be approx 8ohm and I reckon approx 1watt. I have tried some other little speakers however the sound is too feeble.

Anyone had this problem and found a suitbale speaker to fix it.

I know its easy to use an external speaker in the earphone socket, however the socket will eventually fail also.
StuartStrangeboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil- I have plenty of 32ohm speakers which are 40 mm if that is any good to you. It really depends on the elements of the circuit.

We use the 32 ohm in our birthday cards, you may need to add a small ring to stop vibration but I see no reason why it would not work. If you want I can pop one in the post for you, you can give it a try.

Stuart
PhilGarmin
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StuartStrangeboy wrote:
Phil- I have plenty of 32ohm speakers which are 40 mm if that is any good to you. It really depends on the elements of the circuit.

We use the 32 ohm in our birthday cards, you may need to add a small ring to stop vibration but I see no reason why it would not work. If you want I can pop one in the post for you, you can give it a try.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart, very kind of you to offer, however it must be around 7.8ohm to allow it to work properly.

My speaker reads approx 1500ohm which shows the coil has broken down.
If you tap the speaker the coil shows about 10-15ohm. This is why I get some noise from the speaker then it will suddenly stop working.

There is a website call fixya.com which has quite a lot of articles on this subject. Ive tried there also.

Garmin, need to look into supplying spare parts for registered units as this is due to their speaker not being capable of meeting longterm requirements.

The actual diameter of the speaker is 35.5mm and has the following code on the back 'KS364306'

If anyone know where these speakers can be sourced it would be useful to many 660 and 350 users.
trish-and
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/results.jsp?N=411+1000525+500001&isGoback=false
The above link is to CPCs webpage of loudspeakers.

They deal by credit card, but the postage is a bit high, still less than £130 though!

All sizes from 1.5" to about 15". Check the impedances though.

Good luck from a newbie.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the CPC counter service which is at the Preston outlet, it is only ten minutes from J32 of the M6 if you are passing, I get parts from them quite often, very easy to find, just make sure they have stock before you travel - Mike
PhilGarmin
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou all for your replies.

I've look thorugh the farnell link and I'm afraid there is nothing that would fit the bill.

The following link is what I have used for the moment, however it is way way too quiet to really use.

http://www.rapidonline.com/Electrical-Power/PA-Audio-Video/Speakers/Ultra-slim-speaker/30227/kw/speakers

I used the 30mm dia one, the cone is steel and in my opinion is too rigid and holds back on the volume. The Garmin speaker is physically lighter construction and made of a crisp plastic.

If anybody can find any more possible sources it would be greatly appreciated. Wink
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilGarmin wrote:
f anybody can find any more possible sources it would be greatly appreciated. Wink

I've got one that you can have - assuming I can find a Post Office, that's still open Rolling Eyes

It's from a StreetPilot C510. The markings are different to yours, but I think it's electrically and physically the same spec.

(It's marked "VECD 36CS08FN.3-1" (or similar) - 8ohm 1W. Its dc resistance is 7.4ohm and the dimensions are 35mm x 3mm)

Email me at: P h i l @ H o r n b y . m e . u k
tailz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Not sure if any of these would be any good?

http://www.buzzer-speaker.com/manufacturer/speaker/28%20above%20speaker.htm

Tony
StuartStrangeboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil- Ok no problem looks like you will get it all sorted.

I love the 3 and 6 series and it is a great shame they are now discontinued and gettings spares are going to be difficult, I know many people with them.

Might be worth asking the distributers as well.

Stuart
PhilGarmin
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All sorted now.

Just wanted to thank Phil Hornby for sending me a suitable speaker.

Very much appreciated Phil. Very Happy
nokturnuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Anyone found a replacement internal speaker for nuvi 660 Reply with quote

Hi all did anyone find a suitable speaker? my beloved nuvi 350 has just blown its speaker, have tried several ones from the back of me shed, but none are loud enough.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone found a replacement internal speaker for nuvi 660 Reply with quote

nokturnuk wrote:
Hi all did anyone find a suitable speaker? my beloved nuvi 350 has just blown its speaker, have tried several ones from the back of me shed, but none are loud enough.

I blew a Sony Vaio up the other day (don't worry, it wasn't mine Embarassed ). It struck me that laptop speakers are a pretty similar size to the ones used by Garmin. I didn't check the impedance though.
nokturnuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Anyone found a replacement internal speaker for nuvi 660 Reply with quote

I cant imagine how you actually blew up a laptop! still laughing now!
I did try a speaker out of a dell latitude but no good, too quiet, and couldnt fit into case of nuvi 350,
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at this speaker HERE (opens in a new window)

Or try a search on their site.
mhb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The sound became very distorted on my Garmin i3 and a search of this forum found this thread. As a consequence I realised both that my problem was most likely caused by a faulty speaker and that Garmin seemed to have used the same specification of speaker in several of their Satnav units, including mine, namely 8 ohm 1 watt approx 36mm dia.

A Google search for this spec speaker found http://www.speaker-tw.com/manufacturer/speaker/paper%20speaker/as-3655b08-a38w.htm and a request via the 'contact us' page for a quote for a single speaker including postage to UK elicited an email response within 24 hours (12 USD), which on acceptance and prepayment by Paypal, got me delivery within a few days from Taiwan via airmail. A bonus was that the supplier sent me two speakers for the price quoted for one.

Fitting it proved pretty easy and corrected the sound problem.

I hope this might help other with similar problems.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: