Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - think i downloaded music onto device instead of sd card
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

think i downloaded music onto device instead of sd card

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theberties
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: think i downloaded music onto device instead of sd card Reply with quote

being a totally useless male i inadvertantly started downloading music onto device (tomtom720) before i realised i had taken the SD card out. how do i remove the music files, if i need to, from the devise to free up the memory.have now put them on to SD card and working well.
thanks
bertie
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are competent with Windows Explorer (and if you successfully downloaded and put them onto the SD card and they work you must be competent), use that to find and delete them. Show file extensions and they are mp3s.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
theberties
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN, thanks for the reply but you assume i knew what i was doing. I am either more inept or less inept, depending on how you see it, as when i looked at mp3 file it was empty so i didn't even cock it up properly

bertie
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Bertie, you have a few choices here and some questions to consider.

First, if it works, do you really need to fix it? You think you got it wrong, but I wonder if you did.

Why would you want more memory? Is that what "they" say - "More memory is a good thing"?

You surely must know how to use Windows Explorer? I'm not being clever here, I'm assuming you used Windows Explorer when you "looked at mp3 file", because if you didn't, I have no idea how you would know it was empty.

So.... if you can use Windows Explorer, you are "more or less inept" enough to carry out directions as to how to sort out whatever you want sorted and I or somebody else can give you directions on how to go about it.

Your call now

theberties
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis N to be totally honest i have no idea what windows explorer is. When i was downloading the music onto what i thought was the tomtom unit a message came up saying memory full so i put an SD card in and put the music files on there. I then connected to Home again and clicked onto the remove items logo but couldn't see what i wanted on there. After reading your original reply i went into the tomtom folder in my documents, found the mp3 file and it said it was empty so i assumed the files hadn't been put on there. the only reason i was wondering about the memory being full is because if i need to download future updates there may not be enough memory available

bertie
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertie, you've got me confused now.

To summarise, I understood from what you'd said that you actually succeeded in getting music downloaded onto your TomTom somewhere, somehow AND the music plays when you ask it to.

Now that doesn't happen by chance (well it doesn't with me, I'm too clever to be able to get music onto my TomTom - I tried it earlier today with my two new Christmas present CDs and failed utterly and miserably). To succeed takes a certain amount of knowledge and I'll bet you have enough of that to be able to cope with Windows Explorer or something like it.

If you want to move forward with this, I'm happy to try help, but I'll need some info first.

If you do want to, tell me what sort of Windows you have on your computer - XP? If it's Vista, you've had it, because I haven't a clue about Vista. If you've got XP, next tell me just what you did to get music downloaded into your TomTom (and bearing in mind I'm useless at downloading music or burning things, you need to be pretty simple in your description).

Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis, I use Vista and the only differeence is that you look for your drives in "Computer" instead of "My Computer" after that it all works the same XP.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calomax wrote:
Dennis, I use Vista and the only differeence is that you look for your drives in "Computer" instead of "My Computer" after that it all works the same XP.

Thanks, but after granddaughter brought her new Christmas laptop for me to setup on Christmas Day, I spent an absolute age just finding out how to start whatever it was that I eventually recognised as Explorer. The thing didn't even have Start and when I went to add a desktop icon for Messenger, I was yet another age finding the exe file. I can cope with distance learning (teaching) with something I know, but Vista ain't one of 'em!! I dread getting my next new PC for fear of not being able to lay hands on XP (It's all gone pear-shaped since Win 3.1).

machman767
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, guys, sorry for hi-jacking the thread, but I've just got a 920T and can't get it to play music off an SD card. I guess I'm doing something wrong so any help gratefully received.

Ta,

Mick
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The music files need to go in a Folder named mp3

Note it has to be lower case.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: