Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Next step please tomtom 700
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Next step please tomtom 700

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bjstanbridge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:03 am    Post subject: Next step please tomtom 700 Reply with quote

Hi All and thanks for the help so far.
Perhaps having had this tom tom now for about 3 years I will start taking better care of the information on it.

Ok so I have updated the tomtom firmware-software and updated to the latest western Europe map

I have made an explorer back up as well.

However, I appear to have lost all my favorites any way of getting them back?

I am however getting the impression that people don't seem to use favorites but store their information in the POI locations.........is that right?

So after my trip to Tenerife I am off to Las Vegas, However, there is not enough room on the hard disk to store USA and Western Europe. So am I ok to download the USA map and then make a separate explorer backup of the USA and the when I have finished in the US and return home copy the information back from the Western Europe explorer backup.

Or should I be doing something else?

Thanks in advance for your time and help.
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will be no problem copying the Europe map to the PC and restoring it when you come back from the USA. I did it before I decided to upgrade the memory!! Make sure you remove the whole map folder with all the files in it.

You favourites are stored on a file called (I think!!) mapsettings.cfg You could replace the file of that name in your current map folder with the old one from the backup. But things are moving faster than I can keep up. TT might have changed the way they do it with the later system software.

It mighgt be worth biting the bullet and adding your favourites to the PoI list. Just go into preferences on the GO and create a new PoI category called what ever you like - I call mine "Favourites" Smile Then you can add new items to that category. If you still have your old favs at the moment you can choose them from the "add PoI" menu. Otherwise you will have to enter them all again. But the new way will allow you to have more than 24 Favourites and the .ov2 file created can be copied across to any new device or system.

One final point. When you remove the Europe map folder, check that you do not still have it in a hidden trash file. This file could still be on the 700 disc taking up room. So when you try to add the new downloaded USA map the GO may say that there is not enough room. If this happens empty the Recycle bin when the GO is attached to the PC.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tip I learned from one of the experts here (probably Mike Alder!) was to put an underscore before the first character of the POI category name, e.g. "_Favourites". The category will then be shown at the beginning of the list, making accessing your favourites easier and faster.
Samsung Galaxy S21
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said in your other thread, copy/backup the Europe map to your PC and do NOT delete it from your 700 unless and until the download/install of USA map says you have to - you may be offered the chance to let TT Home do the delete for you, so make sure you have a copy of the entire folder before you start.

One reason for this is that without a map on the 700, it may not work - don't be caught out without a map, preventing the device from being usable for getting the download!

Your old mapsettings.cfg file is probably not called the same nowadays, so copying it across from a backup might be unsuccessful unless you rename (a copy of) it.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bjstanbridge wrote
Quote:
I am however getting the impression that people don't seem to use favorites but store their information in the POI locations.........is that right?
I keep all my favourites in POIs called Fav France, Fav UK etc. Then before a long trip I put those I know I'll use into the normal Favourites. Then after visiting them I delete them in turn but still have them as POIs.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: