Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Request For Information
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Request For Information
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Request For Information Reply with quote

I have sent this e-mail to SatMap reuqesting that they keep the "News" section of their site up to date.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am contacting you to ask whether it would be possible for you to update the "News" section of your website more frequently.

For instance I understand that there is a delay in producing the on-line mapping which was due out at the end of November but we as your loyal customers have to find this out second hand.I don't know if you read the SatMap forum on PocketGpsWorld.com but the one constant complaint from forum members is that we are not kept up to date with what is going on,what is in the pipeline and when it should be ready for release.

I realise that you are a small company compared to the likes of Garmin etc. but surely it would take little time to put a bit of news on the site and let us know what is going on.You have got a great product but please don't go the way of some firms and ignore the customer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will keep the forum posted on any response I get.

Ian
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the prompt reply I received from SatMap this morning.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks very much for your email - it is always great to receive such
emails from our customers.
I take on board what you are saying - you are correct it is a question
of resource but we have allocated more staff to the website as of the
past few weeks so you should notice some improvements.
The online planner has, unfortunately, been delayed until the New Year -
hopefully January but we will let you know as soon as it is up - we are
pleased to see OS have their own planner now live which should help us.
Thanks again and keep watching the website.
Mike

Mike Storey

Head of Sales

Satmap Systems Ltd.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ian

Edit once Mike Alder to remove personal details, posting e-mail addresses and mobile phone numbers belonging to someone else isn't really a good idea.
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know what he means by
Quote:
OS have their own planner now live
?
Satsync 1.525
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming it's Explore which is currently in Beta here.
em194543
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darren,

I think they are referring to Explore too, although unless i'm completely missing something, there doesn't seem to be a way to download the routes once you have created / opened one. Which to my mind defeats the purpose of being able to create one in the first place. Hopefully i'm missing something Embarassed

Cheers

Mark
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not impressed with the OS version and note that the maximum resolution is still 1:50,000 so I don't see why SatMap see this as a good omen. However in this season of good will lets remain optimistic. After all we have been optimistic for an awfully long time already!
Satsync 1.525
davidor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how many people are put off buying a Satmap because they can't be bothered to update their website. If I am buying on line, or looking into buying something, if the website looks out-of-date then I look seriously elsewhere. A commercial company website that is not updated regularly is a clear early sign of a company that is going, or gone, out of business. Let's hope this doesn't apply to Satmap.
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have dallied with similar thoughts from time to time.

SatMaps seeming unwillingness to either have a forum of their own or contribute on this ( and as far as I know any other ) forum,the delay of the on-line route planner and the tardy updating of the website with product news does not give an overall good impression.This is strangely at odds with their willingness to answer phone and e-mail enquiries and their excellent and very rapid repair facilities.

Perhaps if the "repair man" talked to the "website man",things may improve.The website is after all their "shop window" and customers are not enticed into a shop with a shoddy display ( with it has to be said one or two spelling mistakes ).

I certainly hope that things are not going downhill but in these straitened times,who knows.I don't imagine that the first priority of many households is to spend £300 upwards on a GPS.

Ian
reklawpete
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Request for information Reply with quote

I notice that the Satmap web site has been updated lately. It mentions the 15% VAT. One interesting thing I noticed is a reference to "Active 10 trainers will be visiting local Satmap stockists all across December to demonstrate the Active10 and other Satmap products". What are these other products other than the maps?
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume it is the items shown on the "shop" page of their web site.
Satsync 1.525
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should think that with Christmas coming up they have have been trying to sell their Gift Vouchers as it is as good as money in the bank for them.

If you receive one then there is nowhere else you can spend it so some more profit.

I have to admit that I have dropped a hint for one.

Ian
barny_100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say I think they have their heads on the wrong way round with regard to updating their website etc. Nowadays an up to date website or blog is embarrassingly easy to maintain. This would reduce the number of emails/phone calls they have to deal with by an order of magnitude and make for happier customers and prospective customers (Me!) as well as save them money.

You fear for their business if they can't see the efficiencies it would provide.

We shall see what the new year brings if they are providing more "resources" or the website (It only needs one person!!)...
terry8
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like barny am also a perspective new customer following a demonstration of the active 10 in Blacks. However having read this forum for several weeks and all the latest news, and the Satmap web site with it's lack of news and updates I think I will probably stick with Garmin. Well done Satmap another lost customer
Rogerfrit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terr8
It is not Satmap that have "put you off", but a very few wingy voices.
The Satmap is fabulous. It does what it says on the tin, and better than any other bit of kit out there.
What you don't hear are the voices of the hundreds of seriously happy usesrs.
OK, the on-line palnner isn't available yet - but I am sure it will be fairly soon, maybe a matter of months. But so what - be patient, the best always comes to those who wait. In the meantime there are some adequate (but not ideal - i.e. not 1/25000) alternatives that will "get you by" I am sure!
So, it still freezes from time to time - they seem to have fixed this with 1.231, which WILL be avilable to you, and probably fairly soon.
I would rather they had the IT guys fixing software issues than producing a flashy website.
I am happy to wait for them to mail me with news. I have registered for this, and am sure it will all happen - in good time.
Be patient. I have been waiting over 50 years for something as amazing as this, I can wait a couple of months more!!!
Rethink, is my advice.

Roger
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger,

Speaking as one of the "whingy voices" I quite agree,and have said so,that the SatMap is an excellent piece of kit and that personally I don't even mind paying for the maps ( wouldn't object if they were cheaper though ). I don't see many posters complaining about the unit itself and as for the hundreds of happy users yes,I am one of them.

The argument is that when you pay £300 upwards for a piece of kit,especially one that is as technical as the SatMap,it is important that there is some feedback from the people who made it.Yes SatMap answer the phone and respond to e-mails but a lot of this traffic would be unnecesary if the website was kept up to date,that is what it is there for,to impart information.As a previous poster pointed out,updating a website is not difficult,I used to do it myself and it is not very time consuming.

SatMap promised a forum,that has not appeared.Once again setting up a forum is not that difficult and once done it virtually runs itself.If they are not willing to host a forum,fair enough but a posting on here from time to time ( nobody expects them to answer every query just keep us abreast of what is happening ) would not go amiss.

Times have changed and with all the means of communication at our disposal customers are not willing to be kept in the dark,and just in case you think we are having a go at SatMap for poor communication Garmin aren't brilliant either.

In all walks of life a bit of communication can avert many a complaint before it even arises.In another life of 26 years in the NHS I have seen this many times and know it to be true.

Ian

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: