Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - LiPol Rechargeable battery
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

LiPol Rechargeable battery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave_the_Hiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: LiPol Rechargeable battery Reply with quote

Hi,

I am unsure at the moment whether I should buy the "Power Pack" or just the "LiPol Rechargeable battery" for the Satmap. I understand that the battery is recharged via the USB port.

I already have car and mains USB type chargers (which I use with my HTC manufactured mobile) so can I get away with just purchasing the Lipol battery. If I can it will save £15.
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

In the instruction leaflet that comes with the power pack it says:-

"NOTE: Only use the USB cable provided by SatMap"

Whether this is marketing hype I know not but the unit will still be under warranty and if damage does occur by not using the correct lead/charger then I imagine SatMap would be within their rights to charge you for a repair.

If you look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_polymer_battery

( Link provided by another poster )

under "Applications" it says that only Li-Pol specific chargers should be used to avoid the danger of explosion.

Ian
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also have a look at This Video which shows what can happen if you use incorrect chargers with LiPol batteries - they can make very good fireworks, but could also destroy most of your house, use the correct chargers though and you will be fine - Mike
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Pretty scary that.

Do you think SatMap will bring out a clockwork version with a big key in the back ?

At least it won't catch fire.

Ian
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That video is intended to shock people, as most users of portable technology have no idea of the destructive power even a mobile phone battery has when not handled correctly.
Think twice before putting batteries in the bin for example, only last year I had a home made NiMH 7 cell battery pack explode while charging in the kitchen - my own fault as I used the wrong charger! - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bosun wrote:
"NOTE: Only use the USB cable provided by SatMap"

Whether this is marketing hype I know not

It is, the cable supplied is a standard USB cable as is the charger. Satmap have previously stated that the charge circuit and intelligence necessary for LiPo is in the Active 10 itself, that is why it can charge happily from any USB connection.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I would also have a look at This Video which shows what can happen if you use incorrect chargers with LiPol batteries - they can make very good fireworks, but could also destroy most of your house, use the correct chargers though and you will be fine - Mike

All true but as Satmap have stated the charge circuit is contained within the device on the Active 10 then one can only hope they have taken all necessary precautions.

I am surprised they don't provide the cautions and warnings that I get with the LiPo batteries and balance charger necessary for my electric heli though. That is full of dire warnings and advice never to charge unattended etc etc.
Dave_the_Hiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
mikealder wrote:

All true but as Satmap have stated the charge circuit is contained within the device on the Active 10 then one can only hope they have taken all necessary precautions.

I am surprised they don't provide the cautions and warnings that I get with the LiPo batteries and balance charger necessary for my electric heli though. That is full of dire warnings and advice never to charge unattended etc etc.

I agree Darren the charge circuit is/should be in the Satmat. If it wasn't it would be dangerous to plug the Satmap into a computer as the Lipol must be charging whenever the USB lead is connected.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I would also have a look at This Video which shows what can happen if you use incorrect chargers with LiPol batteries

Cool! That is well impressive demo.

They were charging them at 10 amps though which is 100 times the current that you get from a USB socket on your PC (the device can request up to 1A, in which case you have to presume that it's smart enough to know what it's doing!). 5 volts at 100mA is just half a watt so it's not going to set the world on fire.

It's also interesting to see that many consumer devices have a temperature sensor in the battery and it will stop fast charging if the battery gets too hot. I have to wonder if these high power cells for RC gear have the same thing and if not, why....

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: