Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New member, almost smoked the TT xls
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New member, almost smoked the TT xls

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilotone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: New member, almost smoked the TT xls Reply with quote

Very new to the TT thing. Wanted to back up my new XLS, followed the instructions that I had come across after several hours of reading. Used windows . Don`t know if I did it right or not. seems like all the directions I read are written for those that have some experiance, and are much more computer savvy than I am.Guess I`ll just take my chances, keep on reading. I guess if I read enough, put all the bits of info toghter, it`ll work
Does anyone know of a post for dummies, step by step !! I mean SHORT steps
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't want 'short' steps. You want CORRECT steps.

See the link to the FAQ on backing up here
pilotone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn, thanks for the reply. I`ve been a few other places, same stuff. \
It reminds me of a true story. Years ago (this gets a little long, so X out if you wish) I was the manager of a hauling company for a landfill, we were hauling in faundry sands for the weekend, running 24hrs for both saturday, and sunday. Hourly reports were required for documentation, rather than have any of the office staff stay over, I decided that if VERY specific instructions were given on how to retrieve the info from the computerized scale, I would do it. One of the office girls wrote step by step instructions down, she then ran thru it, and presto, there it was !! I figured what could go wrong, first hourly report, NOTHING !!! I ran around, as the drivers came in got all there load slips, did it the ol` fashion way. Got all my info, but it was time for the second hourly report, again nothing, called the office girl, no one around. Again did it the ol` fashion way. This went on till the next morning, I was frazzled, she walked in the office, my eyes looked like two fire balls, how`s it going she said. I stayed calm, explained nothing worked. She asked me to go thru it again, I did, nothing happened, she reached over my shoulder as I was sitting at her desk, she pressed ENTER, and there it was. I stared at the screen a few moments, pointed to the bottom of the page with her written instructions, don`t do anything more or less than what is listed above.
SHOW ME WHERE IT SAYS HIT "ENTER"

By the way, I did look over and try the link you posted above, BEFORE I posted my question
I don`t know if have ever heard of FTA (free to air) This reminds me of that in such as we get new members every day that need the little step (but correct) method, I`m a moderator on two sites, and a visiting mod on another. It sometimes escapes me that much information is left out because it`s just common sense, but common sense to who
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have lost the plot reading this one......

Did the FAQ that Dave pointed you at answer your question, or do you still have an issue with what needs to be done to perform a backup?

If so can you explain what you don't understand then we can assist further - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having tried to write a few "How to's" over the years, it is VERY difficult to know exactly how technical or non-technical to pitch it.

Eventually you do your best to explain it in terms a novice would grasp, but you have to assume SOME basic computer knowledge otherwise the instructions become so over-long and "wordy" that most people would give up reading them.

I've used an analogy of boiling an egg before:

Which would you prefer?

1. Take egg
2. place in boiling water
3. Cook for 3 minutes (or to taste)
4. Eat

Or:
1. Open the fridge door. This will usually have a handle on the left or right side. Very occasionally there will be a catch you must release, but this is not a feature on most current models.
2. Locate the eggs. Depending on your circumstances they may be on one of the shelves or could be in a special compartment in the door.
3. Take one or if you prefer, two eggs. Be aware that for some people, excess cholesterol can cause problems , so check with your doctor first
4. Place the egg to one side while you find a saucepan.
4. Fill the pan with water. This can either be from the cold tap, or may be "pre-heated" by putting it into a kettle first.
5. If you use the "kettle method" you need to locate the switch to heat the water. This may be located on the.......

...and on and on!

If, for example, you have to explain the difference between a file and a folder EVERY time, it can get really boring, not just for 99% of the readers but for the writer too!

Having bored you all to tears with that, if there is ANYTHING you need clarifying, just ask and one of the regulars or team will do their damnedest to get you sorted out.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: