Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What should I buy? Please help
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What should I buy? Please help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mizelz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: What should I buy? Please help Reply with quote

I am very new to this, so please bear with me! My boyfriend wants to buy me a GPS system for Christmas, but he wants to get one which can navigate both on the road and when I am riding my horse (so following bridlepaths, riding over downland and byways etc). Is there any kind of device available that will do this?

Many thanks Razz
jolly47roger
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there are devices like this. You need a Pocket PC with either a built-in or bluetooth GPS, running windows mobile. On that, you install one of the routing systems like TomTom Navigator and also a map-based system like Memory-Map.

HP used to sell an rx5720/5915 which included Tomtom and the GPS - you may find one on Ebay or a refurbished one. One region of the UK for Memory-map costs about £50. Note that the current IPAQ 314 runs windows CE and won't run Memeory-map.

Some of the Road Angel systems may do what you want, too.
Mizelz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jolly47roger wrote:
Yes, there are devices like this. You need a Pocket PC with either a built-in or bluetooth GPS, running windows mobile. On that, you install one of the routing systems like TomTom Navigator and also a map-based system like Memory-Map.

HP used to sell an rx5720/5915 which included Tomtom and the GPS - you may find one on Ebay or a refurbished one. One region of the UK for Memory-map costs about £50. Note that the current IPAQ 314 runs windows CE and won't run Memeory-map.

Some of the Road Angel systems may do what you want, too.

Thank you; I have been researching all morning and have found the Road Angel Adventurer which apparently has this facility - it is, however, no longer available through the website as it appears to have been discontinued - is this a bad sign? Also the Garmin nuvi 550 looks like a possibility - any recommendations about this?

Thanks again!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Road Angel 7000 is still available from Memory Map, see Here but I wouldn't recommend one of these, I have tried one and never got on with it either on or off road - great idea but just doesn't come up to spec.

You should really think about the method you can use this device though - on a horse makes mounting the unit somewhat difficult, for this reason I would look at a PDA style device and put it in an Otter Box to keep it safe from the elements and the occasional drop.
There are PDA devices with built in GPS receivers, also there are some PDA based phones with integral GPS units - add the software you want for on and off road and this would work quite well, you can get a neck strap for the Otter box.

The Nuvi isn't waterproof, and if you drop it from the horse there is a very good chance it will break, also the Garmin Topo maps are not that good in comparison to the OS mapping available to tun an a PDA from a number of different companies - Mike
Mizelz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
The Road Angel 7000 is still available from Memory Map, see Here but I wouldn't recommend one of these, I have tried one and never got on with it either on or off road - great idea but just doesn't come up to spec.

You should really think about the method you can use this device though - on a horse makes mounting the unit somewhat difficult, for this reason I would look at a PDA style device and put it in an Otter Box to keep it safe from the elements and the occasional drop.
There are PDA devices with built in GPS receivers, also there are some PDA based phones with integral GPS units - add the software you want for on and off road and this would work quite well, you can get a neck strap for the Otter box.

The Nuvi isn't waterproof, and if you drop it from the horse there is a very good chance it will break, also the Garmin Topo maps are not that good in comparison to the OS mapping available to tun an a PDA from a number of different companies - Mike

Thank you very much, Mike - I really appreciate your advice! In that case, what PDA would you recommend, and where (and how much!) is the software that I would require?

Thanks again! Cool
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Offering advice about a specific PDA is a little like asking someone to pick the model and colour of your next car! - not an easy one at all.

If you want to consider the mobile phone style units the O2 XDA range has to offer the Ignito, Zest or Serra, there are plenty of other ones to choose from though if you want the unit to act as a phone as well, such as the Mio A701 or MWg Zinc-II

Without the phone capability the range of PDA's with built in GPS is rather limited, Mio did a couple of devices but these are no longer made, and you should avoid the ones with the flip out GPS aerial as these will be a pain if you put the unit in to the Otter Box. To be honest any PDA with Bluetooth capability and Bluetooth GPS receiver would be fine, something like an iPAQ - 114 from HP as the PDA coupled with a BT GPS wouldn't be a bad combination.

You don't mention budget for all of this, a car based navigation software application will cost around £50, the Topographical maps for your horse riding will again be £50 per region, but the regions are large, for example Memory Map region 4 goes from Stoke to Carlisle and full coast to coast. An Otter box will also cost around £50

On the right of this page are some adverts, take a look at the Handtec web site for some ideas of what is available and if you find something you like post back for some advice specific to that model - Mike
jolly47roger
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than an Otterbox I put my IPAQ in an Aquapac (www.7dayshop.com) - it's waterproof, hangs on a cord round my neck (so I don't drop it) and I can use a stylus on the screen whilst it's in the Aquapac.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: