Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Nuvi simulator
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Nuvi simulator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Road_Runner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Garmin Nuvi simulator Reply with quote

Has anyone any experience of using the simulator on a nuvi, particularly 670? I find it stops after a few miles and won't restart, although all the other functions seem to work. Do other nuvis work OK? Any feedback would be useful.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome.

Mine runs for about 30 minutes (i think) and then it stops. I also think there is a set distance so it's something like 30 minutes or 25 miles, whichever is the shorter.

When you say "a few miles" how many is a few?

When you say "won't restart" what do you mean? If you mean it won't loop the demo, it doesn't do that.
Road_Runner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Garmin Nuvi simulator Reply with quote

Thanks Paul
I found the simulator stops dead after about the same time/distance as you did - about 25 miles or half an hour. It varies from as low as 3 miles to as much as 26. It reaches a certain point, then the 'car' starts to flip around, then point in different directions for around 10 minutes, then stops altogether. The touch screen will still respond, so I can go to a higher magnification for example, and do all the usual things, no problems, but I cannot make the journey continue from that point, except by doing a detour, which defeats the object of the simulator.

Garmin support's response was to think about taking the unit in; I don't really want to do that as my better half doesn't want to be parted with 'Daniel'! On top of which I can manage (just about) without the simulator, by reference to real maps. It's slightly annoying though, as it looks like a fairly basic software error. If there is a limitation on the range of the simulator, why isn't it documented?

Am I just being pedantic about this? I've found no other references to the simulator in the various forums, so perhaps nobody else bothers with it?

I'm grateful for your response - it's been almost impossible to find anyone to talk to about it! I did get a relation in Regina to check his unit (nuvi 760) and he had no problems.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It reaches a certain point, then the 'car' starts to flip around, then point in different directions for around 10 minutes, then stops altogether.

With mine if i do a route that involves going on the A3 it gets to the Tolworth junction goes down the slip road and then jumps onto a local side road. It then recalculates, goes round the houses, back onto the slip road, and then jumps onto a local side road. It then recalculates, goes round the houses, back onto the slip road, and then jumps onto a local side road. It then recalculates, goes round the houses, back onto the slip road....

until i get bored.

I wouldn't worry. It's probably some sort of minor map issue causing a problem. In the real world you'll drive straight past the problem area and never notice. Not worth sending into Garmin really...
Road_Runner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah Tolworth - the very name brings a lump to my throat.

I like to plan journeys ahead, if only to avoid the 'turn left onto the railway line' problem (the Norman's Bay diversion). But if the simulator doesn't work, I'll do it the old fashioned way!

(If you've seen any feedback on Garmin RoadTrip I'd be interested)

Thanks!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you have the route plotted just say NO to simulating the route. You'll then be returned to the map screen at the start of your route. Tap the green instruction bar at the top of the screen and you'll get the turn by turn instructions to scroll through using the arrows at the bottom right of the screen. If you tap one of the instructions you'll also get a map of the turns which are zoom-able.

Garmin RoadTrip - I'll have a look later....
Road_Runner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul.

Messing about yesterday I found a 'black hole' on the North Circular Road. Whenever I tried to simulate a route across it, eastwards or westwards, it froze, as previously described. The curious thing is that that point coincides with the Greenwich Meridian. Work that one out! Programming fault I'd say. Disappointing that Garmin let these things out, but this one at least is fairly harmless. We manage.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Road_Runner wrote:
The curious thing is that that point coincides with the Greenwich Meridian. Work that one out!

Was it 0Deg E/W displayed on your nuvi? If so this isn't Greenwich Meridan as the WGS84 georeference system used by GPS moved the Greenwich Meridian to approx 00 00 06mins west. That's the problem when you let international teams agree standards - no respect for tradition Very Happy
Road_Runner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil, thanks!
The lat/long was from Google Earth - just as a common source of reference really. I should have mentioned that.

Anyway, I've discovered that the 'Black Holes' are not limited to the 'meridian' ones at:

51deg 35' 58.96"N 0E/W
51deg 16' 06.87"N 0E/W

(There are loads more on the 'meridian'.)

The same marks as mentioned before are at these co-ordinates (Google Earth again):

51deg 14' 57.87" N 0deg 30' 01.44"W
51deg 23' 45.71" N 0deg 29' 59.77" W

(So near enough 30', and there's lots more of those as well)

They are probably some sort of indicator for the sat nav software, and seem to have no effect on the normal route calculations. However, they do crash the simulator. I haven't found similar marks further out from Greenwich, but there may well be some out there. Users may well spot them and wonder what they are for a nanosecond. I'd be curious to know if other units have these marks as well. Only curious, not dying to know.

No response from Garmin support on the simulator problem; I guess it's not a priority.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the latest firmware for the unit installed?
Road_Runner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe so, just installed SV4.60 recently.
Audio version 1.10
GPS SW version 2.90.

Map City Navigator Europe NT 2009
City Navigator North America NT 2008

Just ran Webupdater which confirms I've got the latest software. I'm going to install the latest 'Daniel' voice (we like him) and Bluetooth firmware, not that I use it yet. Not sure about 'GPS Chipset type G' or firmware for GTMxx Traffic Receiver; would you advise installing them? (My unit is a Nuvi 670T, so with the Traffic Master option).

Thanks!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I believe so, just installed SV4.60 recently.
Audio version 1.10
GPS SW version 2.90.

Map City Navigator Europe NT 2009
City Navigator North America NT 2008

Looks ok. Just there was a similar issue with 7xx series where certain points on the map could cause the unit to shutdown or freeze.

Quote:
Just ran WebUpdater which confirms I've got the latest software. I'm going to install the latest 'Daniel' voice (we like him) and Bluetooth firmware, not that I use it yet.

OK

Quote:
Not sure about 'GPS Chipset type G' or firmware for GTMxx Traffic Receiver; would you advise installing them? (My unit is a Nuvi 670T, so with the Traffic Master option).

The GTMxx update yes. It doesn't do anything to the Nuvi but the next time you plug the TMC receiver in it'll update the TMC unit.

GPS Chipset - i guess i would as it's the firmware for the internal components of your Sat Nav.
Road_Runner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've installed the GPS version 3.00 and GTM Traffic modules and re-tested, but there's no change in the effects, still the same problems. I even changed the car - well you never know. The marks on the roads are still there, and I assume they are common to all Garmin maps.

Thanks for the feedback; I'm going to keep an eye on these forums, as there's interesting stuff turning up all the time (and everyone's so polite), and perhaps Garmin will come up with a simulator that works one of these days. I'm not going to hold my breath!
jim208046
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Simulator Reply with quote

I ran a simulation from London to Cornwall the unit (760 Traffic) ran fine all the way down the M4 - M5 - A30 etc took about 4 hours, did not stick. Would be useful to speed it up as it just seems to run at the allowable speed limit for the road.
Road_Runner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that's interesting. It may well be that the nuvi 700 series firmware doesn't have the problem. I'd be curious to know if you see those marks on the roads that I mentioned above, and if your simulation crosses them without problems. I assume your 'run' to Cornwall included roundabouts? My 670T seems prone to stopping the simulation at these - I assumed it was because they really don't have those in the USA, so were not programmed for!

I agree the simulator could do with a 'fast forward' button - your perseverance in running a four hour simulation is laudable! Perhaps if the simulator was more user-friendly more people would use it in planning routes? It sort of sounds like a reasonably good idea.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: