Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Any problems with lag on TomTom x30 or x40
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Any problems with lag on TomTom x30 or x40

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colin64
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Any problems with lag on TomTom x30 or x40 Reply with quote

Hello all

I would like to ask the owners of x30 and x40 units if they have experienced any sort of lag with there units i.e in built up areas the unit stalls,looses sat input for 10-30 secs by which time you are 1/4 to 1/2 mile past your junction and recalculation takes place,you u turn to correct road and if a number of lane changes and turns occur it stalls again or is so far behind you need to u turn to get back on correct route Mad . The norm i would say is 5-10m out without loosing sat signal.http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=67791
I have a Garmin 760 which is not recieving sat signals as good as it should causing symptoms above.

Any problems along those lines with TomTom as i am thinking of ditching Garmin for a TomTom x30 or x40.

I hope this makes sense.

Any help or advice gratefully recieved

Colin
SydEx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a word - No.

I have used TomTom devices for a couple of years, and now have a 540. I have never experienced the sort of lag you talked about.
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SydEx wrote:
In a word - No.

I have used TomTom devices for a couple of years, and now have a 540. I have never experienced the sort of lag you talked about.

A little over a year for me, and the only times I have had no GPS signal are:-

* In Tunnels
* Under Bridges+
* In buildings (some of the time)
* Just after the unit is switched on

+ There's a particular roundabout which I use regularly, and immediately prior to it is a bridge carrying the A1 - I often end up stopping in the middle of (under) that bridge, and find that the TT guesses that I am moving forwards (so I presume it has lost the signal). Never actually noticed the screen go grey though (which the TT does when the signal is lost)
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from in places where there is no direct line of site to satellite signals such as tunnels, the only problem I have experienced is in one area of tall buildings, and that is down from Tower Hill, along Lower Thames Street, London.

The area is surrounded by tall buildings, close together and satellite signal must be refelected or restricted, as it appears to put your location about 100 yards to north , but that is the only area I have ever experienced it. As I know about it, and it is only for about 400 yards I can live with that, and that is hardly TomToms fault. There is no time lag that I have found
GO 920 Dead
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Garmin once to test some software and had similar experiences as you. It turned out it was because of an over-large POI file.

Not saying that's your problem, but it might be relevant.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: