Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problems and Confusions....(still!)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems and Confusions....(still!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Problems and Confusions....(still!) Reply with quote

I have just got back from walking along the Pyrenees and used my SatMap purely for logging each days walk.
However, after nearly two years I have run into a problem that I believe will need the device to be returned to SatMap for a bit of £25 TLC. Before I do that though, here is the problem, (to be followed by my on going confusions.)

The device is now incredibly slow in going from page to page. I am having to wait at least 4/5 seconds before I get any response with any press of a button. I thought it may be the SD card, but even removing it, makes no difference. I am also running the latest software. Any comments ?

I believe that the software may also be adding to my confusions in the following areas,
1. The Trail on/off button seems to have a mind of its own...I can change it, accidently, using any of the other buttons on that page.
2. A big gripe is the Total Ascent/Descent boxes that I have set up. At the end of each day, they obviously bear no relation to actual. This, after completely resetting the trip log, making sure no other route has been selected, and pressing start and stop at the end of each walk. Then, converting trail to track I get enormous totals which I know are totally inaccurate. The profile of the walk seems fine, as do the minimum and maximum altitudes, but something is wrong. A couple of times, I changed the units during the walk from Miles to Kilometers, and I wonder if this is some of the problem ? Is this allowed or not ? Again, looking at my last trip log, which was set to Kilometers, I changed the walk to Miles mid way through and I now have a mixture shown in the profile !
3 The Route Profile page that lets you review your walk has always had me baffled. As I understand it, the data shown under the cross section walk profile, comes from the original set up of the Trip Log prior to each walk. I've never fathomed out why these boxes are 'fixed.'...speed now...ave speed...max speed...etc. And why, when converted, does the distance walked not tally ? If these 'boxes' are user definable, then how do you do it ?
Anyhow, I still very much like the device !
jonesbach
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you reloaded the software? Could the electronics have been scrambled by the journey?
Quote:
....2. A big gripe is the Total Ascent/Descent boxes that I have set up. At the end of each day, they obviously bear no relation to actual....
I assume you're using GPS for height, I don't think this has been improved with the latest software. Using 'map data' I've found it much better but still has room for improvement.
Quote:
3 The Route Profile page that lets you review your walk has always had me baffled. As I understand it, the data shown under the cross section walk profile, comes from the original set up of the Trip Log prior to each walk. I've never fathomed out why these boxes are 'fixed.'...
Not sure if I've lost you here, it's the data stored in the .MAP file. You access each point by nudging the joystick.
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems and Confusions....(still!) Reply with quote

FrequentFlyer wrote:

3 The Route Profile page that lets you review your walk has always had me baffled. As I understand it, the data shown under the cross section walk profile, comes from the original set up of the Trip Log prior to each walk. I've never fathomed out why these boxes are 'fixed.'...speed now...ave speed...max speed...etc. And why, when converted, does the distance walked not tally ? If these 'boxes' are user definable, then how do you do it ?
Anyhow, I still very much like the device !

I think FF means that your perceived speed has to be set up in the Settings Menu/Units and Set Speed prior to your activity.This for instance would need to be changed if you were cycling and had previously used the unit for a walk say.

I have never been able to understand this.My Garmin simly gives you your distance etc regardless of the speed you are doing.

Lets hope this is changed in a future software update.

Ian

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: