Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Antenna question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Antenna question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steveprice
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:52 am    Post subject: Antenna question Reply with quote

Hi, i'm thinking of purchasing the navman 4410 as this seems to be a good bluetooth reciever, don't know whether anyone has any opinionbs on them?

anyway, i've looked on navmans website and found that my car has the reflective windscreen lining. so i found out that i would need to buy an external antenna.

my question is, that do patch antennas require power? as i was thinking of powering the bluetooth unit from the 12v cigarette lighter, obviously i cant use both should the antenna need powering. or is there a way round this?

i don't really like the idea of charging ni-mh batteries all the time and would prefer to use the car as a powersource.

i've looked at re-rad antennas and i know these definatley need powering but i was just thinking of a patch antenna to strengthen the signal.

Thank you

Steve
hmalan
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

Most cars with reflective windscreens have a patch located behind the rear view mirror which is non reflective. This is to allow mobile telephone and other signals to get through.

I have located my Bluetooth cradle on the back of my rear view mirror and powered it from a supply located behind the interior light.

I have no problems at all with this set up. In the wifes car, which also has the same set up of reflective screen and gap behind mirror, I just wrap the lead around the rear view mirror and have it hanging there, looks unsightly but works for temporay usage. It is also worth noting that the telephone car kit fitted to the wifes car has a cowling which covers most of this non reflective block.

I also have a friend who has new style Laguna with reflective screen and the Medion, wired GPS, from ALDI just sat on his dashboard and he has no trouble at all, except it takes him slightly longer than me to get a fix.

Alan
hmalan
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

Most cars with reflective windscreens have a patch located behind the rear view mirror which is non reflective. This is to allow mobile telephone and other signals to get through.

I have located my Bluetooth cradle on the back of my rear view mirror and powered it from a supply located behind the interior light.

I have no problems at all with this set up. In the wifes car, which also has the same set up of reflective screen and gap behind mirror, I just wrap the lead around the rear view mirror and have it hanging there, looks unsightly but works for temporay usage. It is also worth noting that the telephone car kit fitted to the wifes car has a cowling which covers most of this non reflective block.

I also have a friend who has new style Laguna with reflective screen and the Medion, wired GPS, from ALDI just sat on his dashboard and he has no trouble at all, except it takes him slightly longer than me to get a fix.

Alan Thumbs Up
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:14 am    Post subject: antenna Reply with quote

Hi steveprice
I had the same thoughts as you so I purchased an antenna, with my bundle.
I drive a Zafira with optional privacy glass. As stated on the web site not very good for reception. I do not use the antenna, as I have the 4410 fitted on one of the rear side windows and use the rear power plug. Being Blue tooth no problem. I have tested out the battery life on the 4410 and you can get about 3 weeks, daily working life from the 3 AAA batteries. I do use the antenna in the company pool car as it has the same problem. I have a power cord that has 2 outlets, for this situation, you can get them at most car accessory shops & don’t cost the earth.. You do not need to supply the antenna with power unless its one of those re rad types. If you get an antenna make sure it s plug is the right type.”MCX” Thumbs Up
DRP

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: