Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How to modify the predefined sounds
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How to modify the predefined sounds
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turboccc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: How to modify the predefined sounds Reply with quote

Sorry for duplicating this post, but I feel it can be useful here too.

I found a way to change all the predefined sounds on the nuvi 760 and replace them with your own. What does this means?

- You can increase the sound level of the famous dong-dong camera alert.

Well not cool enough, right?

- You can change the dong-dong for anything else and assign it a sound file of your own. Would it not be cooler to have a "Camera in sight" message instead of "dong-dong"?

- There are 6 pre-defined sounds on the 760 and you can change all of them. You can change the speed alert by something less annoying.

the fine prints:

- You can only replace the sounds by WAV files of equal size or smaller. For now, I do not change the size of the GUPDATE.GID file. You can change the number of samples per second to reduce your file size and fit in the designated area. I used 12000 sample per seconds instead of 16000 samples per second and it sounded very good. I also used "loquendo' TTS and increased the speech rate to reduce the file lenght.

- The WAV files must be 16 bits per sample. I tried 8 bits per sample and it did not work. Files must be 'mono' sound and not stereo (not a big deal!). Anyways, I am adding the wav file properties in the program so you can see what is needed.

- It works on the nuvi 760. My program will be generic enough so you can try on a different model without causing too much harm. I am looking for specific signatures in the file. If it is not found, it won't allow you to modify the file. At worst, you can get a message saying the file is corrupted.

- Forcing the update after modifying the GID file is a bit messy. You need to update your nuvi to a different version. For example, your nuvi is at firmware version 3.00. You have to update it to version 3.10 (or 2.80). Then you copy the modified GUPDATE.GID of version 3.00 back on the nuvi and cycle power. It will reload the modified version 3.00 and the new sounds.

The side effect is that you will lose all your settings. the nuvi does that when you are going to a version lower than the current one. Not a biggy, but annoying anyways. I need to find a way to force the update without changing the version. Anybody knows?

This is it. Read the readme.txt before you use it.

Download link with latest version of all my tools

Usual disclaimer: USE AT YOUR OWN RISKS.

Please post back your results (good or bad) here.

TurboCCC

Edit: Updated link to v1.01

Last edited by turboccc on Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:16 am; edited 3 times in total
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You program it in VB6?
turboccc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, why? Missing some libraries?

I have been using these: comdlg32.dll for file open/save and winmm.dll for sound playing.
Feek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent tool, thanks.

I've done as per the instructions and ensured the replacement sounds are the correct format and size but I keep getting the error saying that the update file is corrupted.

I've tried a few times, with the filename in both lower and upper case (I know, it shouldn't make any difference), and originally I'd reduced the first bong from 1 second with a long tail to 0.5 seconds with no tail so I redid it at the original length.

Same thing, still getting the "Software update corrupt" message.

Going to make sure I can revert back to the original 3.0 firmware now.

*pause*

Yes, that works fine, it's reverting now.
turboccc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are testing on 3.10? Nuvi 760? Give me the details and I'll double check for you.
Feek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nuvi 760 with the 3.0 firmware - I was having problems with the 3.1 freezing as has been described in a couple of threads here so I downgraded to 3.0

So I copied the 3.0 update file from the Nuvi, edited that, flashed to 3.1 using the Garmin updater and then tried to revert to 3.0 by putting the edited file back on the unit.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
yes, why? Missing some libraries?

I have been using these: comdlg32.dll for file open/save and winmm.dll for sound playing.

No problems - just recognised the layout. Dabbled a bit myself and now trying to migrate / learn VB 2008 Express..

Anyway back to the program. I can't find the GUPDATE.GID file in the backup of the 760T i took when i first got it... I'll check my unit later.
Feek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case you miss it, you have a PM, turboccc..
turboccc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah! Missed the PM.

While I am there, I am trying to revert to 3.00 without using the updater program. I will try to copy the file manually in case it makes a difference. When usin gthe 3.00 updater, I replace the original GCD file by mine and let the updater do the job. Of course, you need to unzip the .exe updater.

Edit: Strange. I am getting similar problem when changing all the sounds. Back to debug mode...
Feek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's any testing I can do, let me know - I've replied back to your PM with updated links...
turboccc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not for now. I duplicated the bug with my latest version of code. I will double check what I have done yesterday. I made a change without testing it and I got it in the teeth. Smile

Got your PM. Thx.
turboccc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it! Loaded Feek's audio file manually. I need to correct my tool I'll post back shortly after I tested it. I will remove the link in post #1. I will put it back there with version 1.01 when ready.
turboccc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Link in post #1 updated to V1.01.

V1.00 - was corrupting wave 1 & 6. Was ok for 2-5
V1.01 - better handling of block boundaries and data block identifier. Not 100% perfect but good enough for now. Also corrected audio extraction problem. Extract them again with this version.
Feek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done turboccc, I've got the modified file on now and as soon as I'm awake properly I'll be going for a drive and reporting back.

Thanks for what you've done here.
Feek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! It works Very Happy I now have overspeed bongs at a nice loud volume, thanks turboccc

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: