Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - IQ Routes and traffic module
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

IQ Routes and traffic module

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D4VE
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: IQ Routes and traffic module Reply with quote

Since the return of my module i have been enjoying the benefits of seemingly good coverage and traffic info with varying delay times, just as it should be. I will point out that i dont rely on the traffic info but use it as a guide with backup with normal radio traffic reports, and so far it has worked very well for me.

But i did notice one thing on a few occassions now, and i wondered if anyone else has noticed this or indeed has an answer as to why it happens.

I set a route with IQ Routes enabled, i then get the destination arrival time as normal, but then traffic indicates an "X" mins delay and i ask to avoid said delay, after recalulating i then get the new route with anything from 10-20 mins duration shorter than the original calculation. I always use the fastest route calculation BTW.

Any ideas guys?
TomTom iPhone Car Kit

PC Operating System: Windows 7
Wishlist
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: IQ Routes and traffic module Reply with quote

You are asking why when you ask it to avoid the delays the arrival time is reduced?
D4VE
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and i see where your coming from, but the reduced time is faster than the original time calculated before taking the traffic delays into account. There is a delay from the original calculation made and the traffic update arriving, there by increasing the total journey time. I hope that makes a bit more sense as i didnt explain that in the OP.

Dave
TomTom iPhone Car Kit

Wishlist
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D4VE wrote:
before taking the traffic delays into account.
Tounge in cheek there Twisted Evil So you plan the route without plugging in the TMC plug?
D4VE
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can be a sarcastic git too...Laughing Out Loud

No, the module is connected all the time, but there is a delay before traffic info is updated for the current route i am on, it then flashes up the delay and adds to the original calc, then i avoid and get a quicker time than before the traffic delay info, if that makes any more sense...Laughing Out Loud
TomTom iPhone Car Kit

rgw2012
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave - wouldn't this be due to the fact that by the time you are asking the device to re-route, because it has alerted you to a traffic delay, you have already travelled some distance since the original route was calculated? Therefore your recalculated route only has to get you from your current location (not your original starting point) which is less distance to your destination, hence less time for the remaining journey.

Just a thought
Cheers
Rick
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tomtom keeps the last set of traffic data that it managed to download in a file on the device. It seems to use this data for a long time (I don't know how long) even after the device has been powered down. It may be that this data is being used in your original route calculation and then updated with more recent data containing shorter delays when the traffic info is updated.
D4VE
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RGW- Fair point, but a lot of my driving is in london, so not much distance travelled and besides i mostly sort calculations before i move off.

pcaouolte- If thats the case then i reakon you have solved it me old cock sparrah..Laughing Out Loud

Thanks for the replies guys.

Dave
TomTom iPhone Car Kit

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: