Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom One XL Update
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom One XL Update
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Forddriver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: TomTom One XL Update Reply with quote

I own a TomTom 920T, my wife a One XL GB and a friend a One XL Europe. (he lives some of the time in the French countryside)
I have just updated TomTom Home on my computer and found that my Go 920T needed an operating system update. I also apparently "lost" all of my mapshare information.
My wife's One XL GB and my friend's One XL Europe also needed this update to version 8.010 (17MB).
My Go 920T is "virtually full" according to drive information and won't take any update on the hard drive. My wife's XL is full on it's SD card and my friend's One XL Europe is almost full on it's built in hard drive (no SD Card).
TomTom Home is telling me I have to remove installed items to give me enough space on all three drives. I have only ever put on the PocketGPS cameras (and voices) on my wifes One XL and my 920T. I have never worked on my friends XL Europe and he has no additions from any other source.
The only item I can take off to give me enough room on either my mates One XL Europe and my wifes XL GB is the previous installed operating system (7.162). If I tick this for removal, then the warning dialogue box comes up stating the TomTom won't operate correctly.
Can anyone suggest how I go about updating all three machines. My mates One XL Europe is as supplied no additions (he is not computer savvy and has never even heard of TomTom Home although the disc was in the box! He does not own a computer.) I suspect I can use a bigger SD card on my wifes XL GB and it will carry on working, but would the same apply to my 920T and the One XL Europe, i.e. buy say a 4GB SD card, copy over the information and operate all three on SD cards. Both the 920T and the One XL Europe operate on their respective installed drives.
To date I appear to have "stumped" TomTom Support have I have had no response to my enquiry.
Any help would be appreciated.
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an Apple Mac for my backup etc. So things may work slightly differently if you use Windows.

But, one thing I found in the early days was that the computer hard disc (on the Mac) and the memory on the TT (Card or microdrive) were treated as separate volumes. The key point being that each had their own Trash (Recycle Bin on PC).

I had played around with PoIs and things when the TT was connected to the computer. What I had missed was that every time I trashed the files, they just went to the bin. BUT they stayed there ready to be recovered if necessary, until you emptied the bin. This takes up memory on each volume and it doesn't show in the list of files when you check.

If you have this problem, connect the TT to your computer and then, with the TT window active, empty the Trash/Recycle Bin. You could check the contents of the bin first to see if the files in it are TT related, just to confirm if what I'm saying is correct for your situation.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your x20 unit you can simply purchase a 4GB SD or SDHC card onto which you can put the map or maps, this will free up lots of space on the internal memory. The x20 can share memory between the internal Flash and SD card.

For the One XL (with SD Card) you can purchase a 2GD SD Card - (DO NOT purchase the 4GB SDHC as these won't work in the One XL) In the case of the One XL you will need to copy everything from the internal memory to the SD card, the One XL CANNOT share memory between the built in Flash and SD card.

For the newer One XL with no memory card slot things are a little different, TomTom Home should be capable of sorting this out, I would say give it a try.

for all three devices to free up space you can remove some of the additional voice files installed from when the device left the factory. Go in the Voices folder and remove the files to the PC, you can put them back on the device later, the UK voices are the files data05.chk and data06.chk (leave the coresponding .vif file in place as well) - Mike
Forddriver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: TomTom Updates Reply with quote

Hi Mike,
Thank you for your detailed reply. I had never considered being in this position, although I did the required back-ups of both our machines. My friend's machine has never been attended to, so in all respects it's as per factory set-up.
It has given me a way of getting these machines sorted out. I am sad that this update has proved difficult to install, certainly for my friend's machine, especially as TomTom have a reputation for being user friendly.
Thanks once again
Dave M
Forddriver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: TomTom Updates Reply with quote

Hi SGould,
Thank you for your response. It looks like my spare time is going to be taken up with this. I will check the TomToms out again.
Thanks for your time
Dave M
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the Mapshare corrections being "lost" that you mentioned in your first post - that is a "feature" of the latest version of Home (v2.4).

TomTom wanted to relaunch Mapshare and decided to do this by getting everybody off to a fresh start by deleting all their corrections and then downloading a fresh set.
They released a new version of Home to do the first part, but managed to do it at the same time as the Mapshare servers died, so you couldn't get the new set!
It was obviously fairly major, because they (eventually) announced that the service would not be "up" again for about 10 days (i.e. some time this coming week).
Forddriver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: TomTom Updates Reply with quote

Hi Andy,
Thank you for your reply. On my version of home (everybody's probably) I had a a radio button with "update Mapshare" This promptly disappeared, when asked to reboot the new version of home. My own 920T also appeared to "crash" at the same time and went into a reboot sequence, over and over again. I eventually turned the 920T off and all appears well now, except of course the mapshares appeared to have disappeared, if that makes sense.
I am in a difficult position here, as I am "playing around" with someone else's property. I have spoken to him on the 'phone, he does not even know how to turn a computer on, let alone run a program. I don't want to harm his TomTom machine as he uses it on the highways and byeways in France, more than here. It just seemed odd that TomTom have provided a machine with it's own built in drive and maps for Western Europe. They have now provided a program that needs to be downloaded to his TomTom, although it works well for him, and there is not enough space for the new operating system even though he has never made any additions to the machine's systems. I would have thought the new program would have overwritten the old program, but that does not seem to be the case and it keeps telling me to remove 20MB of information from the TomTom. If I took all the items off he does not use, it still leaves me with the problem that the new program does not fit. The TomTom has a SD slot, which is not used by my friend. My wife's One XL is used solely with the SD card as hers is UK only. I can copy that card onto a bigger card, but so far I have not come up with a solution for my mate. He has a 4GB SD card but I have been told this won't run on the TomTom One XL. As far as I can tell the fixed drive in his machine is just over 1GB. I have backed his drive up on his wife's laptop. I also have taken my own back-up just in case things go wrong. I think the only course open is to copy my back-up onto a 2GB card and "hope" his machine runs the SD card as desired. I did swop my wife's SD card into his machine and it immediately acted as the operating system in his machine so that appears to work.
I wish I hadn't started this as ignorance is bliss!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you have a full backup of the device I would try the following:

Remove the zip folder from the device, this will save around 10MB
Remove the voices folder from the device, depending on what is installed to the unit this could yield a saving of 30MB
Remove the Raster folder from the device which wil further increase available memory.

With these folders removed connect the device to home and update the software.

Copy the voices folder back to the device.
Copy the zip folder back to the device, although the zip folder only contains postcode data for use in the UK and Holland, so if your mate is in France this might not be required assuming he stays over there and never intends a UK visit.
Copy the Raster folder back to the device, this folder contains the image files you see when fully zoomed out on the browse map page, they are not required for operation of the device. If you don't need them they can be left off the unit.

The built in Flash memory is actually just under 1GB on these devices, if it were just over I doubt you would be having this 'fun' There is another way to install the software update to the device assuming you have the required update zip file on the PC but I am not going to detail that here as yet, but the alternate method would remove the need to pull folders off the device, perhaps it is time to rewrite one or two of the FAQs in the forum index to include this method - I will put something together later tonight - Mike
Forddriver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: TomTom Updates Reply with quote

Hi again,
Well this seems to have brought the pains on at TomTom, probably something they had not considered as necessary. I have been informed to remove the foreign voices only, but this means I am left with another 17MB of information to find room for. I only ever wanted to make sure his machine was running correctly nothing fancy, just to keep him up to date. Now obviously TomTom didn't realise that their One XL Europe would run into this problem. Neither it seems do they advise using SD cards to run this model although my wife's One XL GB version runs only on the SD card supplied, there does not appear to be an internal drive fitted. That had room for all the cameras from PocketGPS and there is still a little space left before I have to get her a larger SD card.
Because there is a TomTom Home conflict on accounts TomTom advise I go back to my friends wife's laptop, where their home account is now stored and do any remedial work through their account, otherwise I could cause problems with my own Home account. My wife's One XL is registered via her own computer as TomTom didn't like two machines on
the one account. Seems to be a strange way of working, but as our computers are close by it does not matter. So that is what I will do and use your information as above. I really am sorry I started this, but I am determined to get it sorted.
Regards
Dave M.
Forddriver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: TomTom Updates Reply with quote

Hi Again,
I have had another reply from TomTom giving me instructions on what to do with the drive. (no not the nearest window).
Before I can carry out their extensive suggestions I obviously have to get permission from the device's owner.
However, the first part of their answer is interesting as they state that there should be enough room on the drive for software updates.
I made the following measurements of the drive capacity:
Installed information: 1,004,253,184 bytes 957MB
Free Space: 397,312 bytes 388KB
Total Capacity 958MB
My TomTom home is still showing that I need to download the new software for the machine and that I have to remove 17MB of information to achieve this. TomTom support state that this software update should go onto the device without having to remove anything. Obviously something is wrong, as this device is as supplied, it's never had an update of any sort, it wasn't even registered with TomTom as my friend does not know how to use a computer although his wife does, but not to carry out this type of work! I await TomTom's further instructions. They differ from the forum's responses and obviously they hadn't envisaged this problem!
Interesting times...........
Regards
Dave M.
Southampton
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What have they told you to do with the device so far? - Mike
Forddriver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: TomTom Updates Reply with quote

Hello Again
Connect the One XL to my PC.
Double click on the TomTom logo in My Computer
DELETE all losose files that are not in yellow folders and then allow Windows to run an error check also tick automatically fix file system errors.
(I have asked them what is meant by losose files as it's a new name to me)
Next:
Copy map folder (country or region name) Zip Folder and voices folder and save these to PC
Right mouse click the drive letter allocated to device and click format, to erase all information on the drive.
After formatting has completed, copy the three files back onto the device and Bob should be your father's brother!!
Then log into home and update device.
I have emailed them back regarding the losose files as I don't know what that means. There are 22 files not in yellow folder boxes, that appear to be bit map files, anti-theft warning files text files and so on, plus what appears to be a file with western europe as it's description.
To this time I have not had a reply about these files and so far I have done nothing more than check the drive for errors. There were none.
I would point out that whilst I know my way round my computer (a little bit) I am the wrong side of 50yrs too many grey hairs and anything I know or think I know is self taught by trial and error, more error I think!
Regards
Dave M.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom Updates Reply with quote

Forddriver wrote:
DELETE all losose files that are not in yellow folders and then allow Windows to run an error check also tick automatically fix file system errors.
(I have asked them what is meant by losose files as it's a new name to me)

They mean files in the ROOT i.e. top level of the device that are not contained within folders.

When you browse to your device using Explorer, the first level you see is the ROOT level. Here you will see a number of files and also folders (the yellow folders) that will contain more files.

They want you to delete the files ONLY, not the folders or files contained within those folders.

Forddriver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: TomTom Updates Reply with quote

Hi Darren,
I thought they meant loose files but wasn't too sure, as they also said I was confusing them as I have three TomTom devices which are currently at my disposal if your count my friend's.
My computer does not list the files as per your diagram, but in a different format which is basically the same.
Whilst I understand I have to delete those files, I don't understand why I have to delete them and then having done that format the drive, which will delete the files anyway, or am I confused?
Talk about walking on eggshells, when you are dealing with other people property!
Regards
Dave M.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're correct that so long as you take a backup of the folders you need not delete the files if you're going to format anyway though!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: