Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 520 Charging Question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 520 Charging Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LavaChild
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: TomTom 520 Charging Question Reply with quote

Hi,

My 520 has arrived and I'm trying to do it all by the book, and charge the TomTom before using it as the manual suggests.

The manual states that plugging the TT into the cradle and the cradle into the USB a menu should show allowing the device to connect to the computer or just sit charging.

I put the TT in the cradle and no screen came up. I thought perhaps you should do this with the device on, turning it on though simply turned the device as normal and I had to do the setup before being able to turn it off (I hope having it on for this short time [Approx 2 mins] hasn't damaged the device in anyway Sad ).

Since then I've decided just to leave it in the cradle with the device off. I've still no menu but the charging light is on.

How can I tell when the device is charged? Does the led start flashing? Or change colour? Or...?

Cheers!
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope...no visible cue that the unit is charged. Just try to turn it on after 2-4 hours.
LavaChild
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay thats great - Thanks.

Got another thing I've noticed... Just thought I'd check its okay (I really dont want to have to return or anything... I'm just obsessive about things being "perfect").

Anyway, dead hard to explain but I'll do my best:

If I hold my the TomTom at a certain angle to light I can see this little patch... Almost like a rainbow style effect (Like liquid under the screen). If I apply light pressure to the screen (To mimic pressing an onscreen button) it disappears. When I remove my fingers the rainbow style thing (Bad description!!) slowly moves back to across to the same point it started at.

Not sure how to describe it, but is this a bad thing? I can only see it under normal light but not when the device is on (During the short time I had the device on). Should I be concerned already?

One thing that is probably causing me to obsess over it is the fact that the screen protector wasn't on "straight" (Was on at a bit of an angle) and I was scared somebody had opened the packaging (Or that it was a refurb [Didn't purchase a refurb]) but the packaging was plastic sealed.

Alas, should I be concerned by this "mark"? Does anybody else have it? Normal?

Cheers.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the nature of a LCD screen.

Try it, gently, with the TV or the PC monitor if you have a flat screen version of either. Smile

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't have damaged the device in any way, if the unit has insufficient reserve in the battery to power up it will switch off of its own accord on simply not switch on at all.

The Power On LED is a dumb indication that external power is applied to the device, it won't change colour or do anything at all other than illuminate when power is connected.

After a couple of hours switch it on and select the Yes option for connect to computer, then back up the device using Windows Explorer, leaving it over night to attain a full charge won't do any harm though.

The only way to see the charge state of the battery is to turn the device on and tap the sat strength meter in the lower right corner of the screen. If the unit isn't powered from an external source it will display battery capacity on the screen (top right).

To connect to the PC the device does indeed need to be switched on - Mike
LavaChild
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Thanks for the reply. It seems you're always the one answering my questions Razz Thanks Smile

Can you read my reply (3rd post in this thread I believe) and confirm if the "thing" on my screen is okay/normal? Or if I should be concerned?

Cheers.
carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to say I haven't seen it on my Tomtom, but I have seen what you are talking about before. In my experience it normally means a small space between your LCD and the protective or touch screen element and is normally nothing to worry about. I would suggest it shows no problem with your screen, and they tend to appear when you first remove the protective film and then through use they tend to disappear. It looks like maybe a small oilspot in a puddle.

Cheers

Carl
LavaChild
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly it! Oil spot in a puddle explains it PERFECTLY.

I'll go by your advice and use the device (Cannot see it when the device is on and only when you're looking for it you must hold it at a strange angle) and take it further if anything develops.

Cheers matey Smile
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you ever get the "Do you want to connect to Computer" message?
You SHOULD get that whenever you connect to the PC via USB and switch the Go on.

If not, there are some suggestions on THIS TomTom page.
Steven0161
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: battery life Reply with quote

out of interest I ordered a 520 last week but sent it back as I was not happy with the battery life, the charge only lasted about 2.5 hours and when there was about 40% left I switched it off overnight and in the morning it was flat!

is this normal as I would expect the life to be a bit longer Smile
rover220
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: battery life Reply with quote

Steven0161 wrote:
out of interest I ordered a 520 last week but sent it back as I was not happy with the battery life, the charge only lasted about 2.5 hours and when there was about 40% left I switched it off overnight and in the morning it was flat!

is this normal as I would expect the life to be a bit longer Smile

the devices are not designed to be run from their own battery on a regular basis.

if your in the car then plug it in, mines always plugged in even if im not using it so is always charging too.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And when mine is home it's always in its dock connected by usb so it's always fully charged. Letting them run down can damage the li-on batteries in these devices.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main killers of battery fife are having Bluetooth enabled or the FM transmitter running.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: