Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Quick Question: Navman S90i -- TMC built in, arial internal?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Quick Question: Navman S90i -- TMC built in, arial internal?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LavaChild
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Quick Question: Navman S90i -- TMC built in, arial internal? Reply with quote

Hi,

Can anybody confirm whether the TMC on the S90i uses an external or internal arial? Despite the TMC being built-in?

Cheers.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It uses an external string type antenna that has to be plugged into the device itself.
LavaChild
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info so promptly!

Buying a satnav (On a budget) is never easy Sad Infact, I'd say it's one of the hardest things to research I've done in a while.

originally my budget was £100 which I've now upped to £150 and still nothing seems "perfect".

Had a Navigon (See other thread) but that is playing me up and I'll have to find a replacement satnav... But even the Navigon (cheapo stuff I'd consider it, compared to Navman, etc) has the arial built into the charging cable (in the ciggie lighter) which I'd keep plugged in all of the time anyway.

If I do go Navman I may as well consider the S80 now, anyway, being as if it needs the arial then it's hardly an advantage having the RDS receiver built in Confused

Found a Tomtom 520T for £170 so it's only raising the budget slightly (again Sad )and sure that has the external arial too... But I don't hear half as much bad stuff about TomTom as any other sat nav company...

Boo hiss! Any ideas??
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My views on Navman's S-Series are well known so I couldn't commend one. What about a Tomtom ONE? That would be under your budget.

Apart from TMC, what other requirements do you specifically have?
LavaChild
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I'm a bit of techie!! I started out wanting a basic satnav... Yet because the Navigon allowed me so many features at such a low price I've now come to want many more features... Alot of which cannot be had under budget on a decent sat nav!

Features I'd like include:

TMC (very important)
TTS (very important)

Quite like the idea of lane assist/realityview - But I doubt anything in budget (Other than the Navigon which I'm returning because this feature isn't working correctly) will have this. I cannot see me getting this feature in budget.

Good ability to recalculate routes and be able to state specific roads to avoid on a set route

Want to be able to see the current travelling speed at all times

I like having the current speed limit displayed (Though many sat navs seem incredibly poor in this area - Not accurate at all)

Not bothered about bluetooth connectivity... Nor about MP3 players/media players/picture viewers. Though I quite like the TomTom inbuilt FM transmitter allowing me to listen to the device through car speakers... Not sure if I'd really use it though!

Ability to use the PocketGPSWorld speed camera data would be useful though with cost rising I'm not sure I'd be able to put money into that database on top (As I've said, budget has already risen from £100 to £150 and throw another £19 into the database and I'm really starting to go beyond my means).

Basically, I'm a relatively casual driver... Most places I wont *need* a satnav... I'd only use it for holidays, visiting the odd place I'm unfamiliar with, possibly using it to "Take me home" after spontaneous drives out... I doubt the satnav would be used everyday. Infact, at the moment I simply borrow a satnav when necessary but having them at such affordable prices has lead me to want one... And now it seems I cannot stop myself wanting that "next feature".

Sorry if I've gone off on a rant (And hardly keeping it concise Razz ) but the more info I give, the better your advise can be... And that would be INCREDIBLY useful as (whether I buy from a store or online) I'd need the device by the weekend ideally (or Monday at the latest) as I'll want it for a 180 mile drive I've got lined up (Bit of a short week away) which will also require it for little short day trips around towns and cities I've never seen before.

Any help appreciated SO MUCH!! Look forward to hearing from you Smile
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a TomTom 520 quick if you can. Then update top v8 FOC and using the map guarantee get the new map. You then effectively have a 530 for 520 money.

£149.99 with voucher offer at Halfords.
LavaChild
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks VERY much for the link.

Two things

(a) Are the positive I'll get to upgrade the map free of charge? And will it definitely be the "new" map I can get free? With the lane assist, etc? Definitely?

(b) You said £149.99 - Would you suggest I go for the non traffic then? I don't mind (If the answers to point (a) above are all good!) paying the extra to get the traffic if you'd advise it. If I go for the 520T would the answers to point (a) above all be the same?

Cheers!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes to the first question, I asked TomTom earlier this week and had that confirmed.

As for TMC, the RDS-TMC solution is still a long way off being reliable enough to base your routing decision on and that applies to all of the manufacturers. I'd get the basic non T model and wait to see what happens in that area. HD traffic is being launched later this year and this should be much better albeit on subscription.

As it stands, I wouldn't pay to have traffic, simply not accurate or reliable enough.
LavaChild
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking on TomTom here:

http://www.tomtom.com/products/maps/select.php?D=1006&Language=1&P=3446

It says that "This map includes new IQ Routes data offering improved routing for your TomTom GO".... doesn't mention lane assist? Do you have any other info on that?

Also, does it matter if I get it from Halfords or elsewhere? Amazon have it for £170 (Link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/TomTom-Go-520-Traffic-Edition/dp/B000W3FL0E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1221058998&sr=1-2 ).

I have some Amazon vouchers from some online surveys I do so I can effectively "upgrade" to traffic for free (Using those vouchers).

Would this be the same as the one from Halfords? And would I have the same rights in terms ofthe upgrade to lane assist, V8 maps, etc?

Cheers!! Smile Smile
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halfords was just an example, if you can get it cheaper elsewhere all the better.

The latest v8.10 map has Lane Assist and an x20 running the v8 software can utilise this.
LavaChild
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren,

Just got my money back for the Navigon (Sigh of relief!!) and just purchased the TomTom Go 520 Traffic Pack from Amazon for under £150 including next day delivery (After using £30 of vouchers, but I wont include them as they were sitting there doing nothing!!).

So happy... Actually cannot wait for it to arrive now Smile Thank you so much for all of your help.

Can you please advise on a few things, if possible:

(1) Would you recommend any accessories that you believe are "a must have" for the device? Don't *want* to be spending but if I must then I'll have to have a look into it.

(2) With the updates maps etc (Will ask more about this at point (3)) will there be sufficient storage (On the device or card or whatever it'll use) for me to install the *complete* PocketGPSWorld database (Most comprehensive package)? If so, what will be left for MP3's etc?

(3) Finally, can you give me a step by step description of how I update the device to make the full most of it? Do I need to update any firmware first? Or maps first? And how? Anything special. It might be a hassel for you but if you really don't mind I'd like a kind of step-by-step instruction of "How to get your TomTom up and running ASAP". Would be great.

Again, thank you sooo much for the help, and I'm sure I'll love being part of the TomTom lot! Smile

Cheers.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LavaChild wrote:
Darren,

Just got my money back for the Navigon (Sigh of relief!!) and just purchased the TomTom Go 520 Traffic Pack from Amazon for under £150 including next day delivery (After using £30 of vouchers, but I wont include them as they were sitting there doing nothing!!).

So happy... Actually cannot wait for it to arrive now Smile Thank you so much for all of your help.

Excellent
Quote:
Can you please advise on a few things, if possible:

(1) Would you recommend any accessories that you believe are "a must have" for the device? Don't *want* to be spending but if I must then I'll have to have a look into it.

Only one essential on my list, a decent car mount cradle. I sear by Carcomm's cradle, not cheap and perhaps not essential but worth every penny.
Quote:
(2) With the updates maps etc (Will ask more about this at point (3)) will there be sufficient storage (On the device or card or whatever it'll use) for me to install the *complete* PocketGPSWorld database (Most comprehensive package)? If so, what will be left for MP3's etc?

Enough space to update to the latest equivalent map. You wouldn't have space for a European map though. Our database, even the most concise speed zoned coupled with our sound files and high quality icons consumes 1 Mb or thereabouts only so it'll fit. MP3's would require a separate memory card if you wanted more than one or two though.
Quote:
(3) Finally, can you give me a step by step description of how I update the device to make the full most of it? Do I need to update any firmware first? Or maps first? And how? Anything special. It might be a hassel for you but if you really don't mind I'd like a kind of step-by-step instruction of "How to get your TomTom up and running ASAP". Would be great.

When you get it first take a FULL backup copy of it's internal memory and store it safely on your PC. DON'T rely on TomTom HOME, use Explorer.

Then perform the system updates via HOME. You may have to update to an interim v7 release before HOME will offer you v8.

Finally use the LMG (Latest Map Guarantee) to grab the v8.10 map. And once done you can then install our camera database, real voice alerts and high quality icons. All linked in my sig.
Quote:
Again, thank you sooo much for the help, and I'm sure I'll love being part of the TomTom lot! Smile

You're welcome, that's what we are here for Smile
LavaChild
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the help! Smile You're seriously quick on the reply button!! I've had all these messages from you and still no messages from any other satnav company I've emailed!

A few things, going from your previous message

(a) I'll not require EU mapping, so sounds as though I'll have enough memory, though you've stated it'd not be enough for some extra MP3's. You suggest getting another SD card for this. Sounds a silly question but is it possible to have the satnav in navigation mode (Therefore I assume with the SD card in, to access maps) and listen to the MP3's from another SD card? Or would I need to purchase a larger capacity SD card on which I'll need to put the maps, data, etc, *and* MP3's?

(b) You mention upgrading to v8, which may have to go through v7 first. I've been reading on these forums and people seem to suggest not to accept the upgrade if it's not the v8 maps as once you've upgraded that your "free upgrade" done and dusted. Am I getting the v7/v8 you refer to and the v8.1 maps confused? Or are they the same thing?

Again, thank you so much. You really don't know how refreshing it is to be making progress in this satnav situation!! I've spent the last week pulling my hair out!

Cheers.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LavaChild wrote:
Thanks again for the help! Smile You're seriously quick on the reply button!! I've had all these messages from you and still no messages from any other satnav company I've emailed!

A few things, going from your previous message

(a) I'll not require EU mapping, so sounds as though I'll have enough memory, though you've stated it'd not be enough for some extra MP3's. You suggest getting another SD card for this. Sounds a silly question but is it possible to have the satnav in navigation mode (Therefore I assume with the SD card in, to access maps) and listen to the MP3's from another SD card? Or would I need to purchase a larger capacity SD card on which I'll need to put the maps, data, etc, *and* MP3's?

The maps and data are on 'internal' memory. The SD slot is unoccupied (save for a small plastic card 'blank').

So you can load up a spare SD card with .mp3's quite easily.
Quote:
(b) You mention upgrading to v8, which may have to go through v7 first. I've been reading on these forums and people seem to suggest not to accept the upgrade if it's not the v8 maps as once you've upgraded that your "free upgrade" done and dusted. Am I getting the v7/v8 you refer to and the v8.1 maps confused? Or are they the same thing?

Tow things, there is 'Software' and 'Maps'. You need to be running v8 Software before you can use the v8 map data.

My reference to updating thru v7 to v8 refers to software, the references you have seen are in relation to the map versions. If you follow my advice above you should get offered the v8.10 maps as part of the LMG.
Quote:
Again, thank you so much. You really don't know how refreshing it is to be making progress in this satnav situation!! I've spent the last week pulling my hair out!

Cheers.

LavaChild
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah this is *brilliant* news!! The TomTom is better than I thought!! Thought the operating system, cameras, maps, etc. all ran from an SD card. The fact they don't means I can carry a significant number of my CD's with me and have them FM transmitted to my car radio. I simply cannot believe that! Thought having more memory was the advantage of the 530... Really am looking forward to getting my hands on the device.

Have been having a look at the files on PocketGPSWorld and after giving the 'nav a few days use to check all is working properly I think I'll opt into the speed cameras... Really the satnav is going to be perfect them (Assuming everything is as good as it sounds with the device Wink ).

Thanks for the clarification on the updates, etc. I wont bother you any more with the how to's until I get the device... No point in questioning every possibility when everything might be self explanatory or work from the off. Be ready for any requests for help if I do struggle though Wink Heh.

Thanks again Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: