Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Nuvi 760T, MapSource?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Nuvi 760T, MapSource?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
briank200
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Garmin Nuvi 760T, MapSource? Reply with quote

I am completely new to GPS, and have just acquired a Nuvi 760T, because I understood it would be possible to plan routes in detail on a PC using MapSource, and then upload the routes for the 760 to follow.
However, I am now being told by Garmin technical this has never been possible with the Nuvi series. Sad
Can anyone please explain whether this is, in fact possible, and how?
All the mapping software is pre-loaded on the Nuvi, there is no CD with it, and I can't find anything in its data files when connected to the PC that looks remotely like the software.
Is it a download it from the Garmin website, and if so where is it?
If there is a download, how do I then access the maps via the PC, to be able to plan routes?
Or have I just bought the wrong sat nav for my needs?
Many thanks.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
However, I am now being told by Garmin technical this has never been possible with the Nuvi series. Can anyone please explain whether this is, in fact possible, and how?

I see Garmin support is yet again excelling itself.

Whilst it wasn't possible with previous models it is possible with the 7xx series. You can view the maps, create a route and then send this to the unit. You then go into Settings, My Data and you can load the Routes from there. Once these are loaded you can access them from Settings, Routes.

MapSource can be downloaded from here

Quote:
If there is a download, how do I then access the maps via the PC, to be able to plan routes?

Not sure about that as i got my copy of MapSource with the v10 update DVD which includes the maps. You may be able to copy the maps off the unit and onto the PC but you'll need your 25 digit unlock code which you get from MyGarmin. I'm sure there is an option when installing MapSource to specify that your maps are on a unit and it'll grab the relevant data from the Nuvi.
briank200
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Paul. However, I understand the download requires a previous version to be resident? In other words it is an upgrade, and not the full programme (to be clear I am not referring to the American update, but the following 47 odd Mb download that follows it.)

I wonder if anyone else knows how to access maps pre-installed to a Nuvi via MapSource installed on a PC? I'm sure you're right: it can be done - but I'm not a computer technician, and have absolutely no knowledge of Garmin (or other sat-nav) units, beyond buying one yesterday.
Thanks again
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I understand the download requires a previous version to be resident?

I can't see anywahere that says you do need a previous version. It does say you need a MapSource product which you do have in your Nuvi.

I'll test and come back.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can install MapSource but you need the MapSource product.

I can't see a way to get the product on a PC without having the DVD from Garmin. The Unlock Wizard allows me to retrieve my Unlock Keys from Garmin but i thought there was a way to extract the maps from the Nuvi to the PC....
missing_user

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you buy a DVD of Garmin maps to instal on the PC, it instals the program/software called 'Mapsource'. The DVD would be CitySelect/CityNavigator/Metroguide/TOPO.

When you have Mapsource on the PC then you can update from the link given above. They are updates - currently 6.14.01BETA.

If your Nuvi is your first Garmin unit and you do not have the DVD then you cannot instal Mapsource from the link above.

Garmin usually provide Trip and Waypoint Manager and included on that is Mapsource!

MapSource is FREE.

I do not think you can get maps out of a unit - just load to it!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trip & Waypoint Manager = $30 from here
briank200
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Paul and Strumble
However, do I understand correctly?
What is on the Nuvi is locked into the Nuvi, and cannot be copied across to the PC.
MapSource cannot be downloaded and run on the PC, because there is no MapSource product already on the PC.
MapSource comes with the mapping files so, in order to gain a working version of MapSource on the PC, I should have to buy a DVD from Garmin and install that to the PC? Ho, ho!
That would then, presumably, try to upload to the Nuvi, needing my existing unlock code.
However, the Nuvi already contains the mapping, so I imagine a conflict would ensue.
Sounds like catch 22 to me!
Garmin tech seem, after all to have been right, and I seem to have acquired a nice, shiny, new sat nav that, in practice, I can't use to do what I want!
It seems Garmin have recently altered the way they supply these units, and no longer supply the mapping etc on DVD, with only the firmware pre-loaded, but now pre-load the lot and, in the process, have killed off the reason I bought a Garmin unit.

Last point. Little item on the outside of the Nuvi 760 box. "Track log - view your journeys in Google Earth via Garmin MapSource software." Does anyone know how this might work where all the necessary software is pre-loaded to the Nuvi, and connecting it to a PC puts it into mass storage mode? Google earth needs PC + internet. Nuvi won't talk to PC. No MapSource available for PC. Or am I missing the obvious?
Thanks again
missing_user

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

briank200 wrote:
Many thanks Paul and Strumble
However, do I understand correctly?
What is on the Nuvi is locked into the Nuvi, and cannot be copied across to the PC. ---Correct
MapSource cannot be downloaded and run on the PC, because there is no MapSource product already on the PC.---Correct
MapSource comes with the mapping files so, in order to gain a working version of MapSource on the PC, I should have to buy a DVD from Garmin and install that to the PC? Ho, ho!---Correct
That would then, presumably, try to upload to the Nuvi, needing my existing unlock code.---InCorrect
However, the Nuvi already contains the mapping, so I imagine a conflict would ensue.---InCorrect
Sounds like catch 22 to me!
Garmin tech seem, after all to have been right, and I seem to have acquired a nice, shiny, new sat nav that, in practice, I can't use to do what I want!
It seems Garmin have recently altered the way they supply these units, and no longer supply the mapping etc on DVD, with only the firmware pre-loaded, but now pre-load the lot and, in the process, have killed off the reason I bought a Garmin unit.

Last point. Little item on the outside of the Nuvi 760 box. "Track log - view your journeys in Google Earth via Garmin MapSource software." Does anyone know how this might work where all the necessary software is pre-loaded to the Nuvi, and connecting it to a PC puts it into mass storage mode? Google earth needs PC + internet. Nuvi won't talk to PC. No MapSource available for PC. Or am I missing the obvious?
Thanks again

you view your tracks on Google Earth from Mapsource.
They are fantastic.
I sent you a PM!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
MapSource comes with the mapping files so, in order to gain a working version of MapSource on the PC, I should have to buy a DVD from Garmin and install that to the PC? Ho, ho

Slight correction to this point. You can get MapSource and the Mapping files on the PC if you can get a copy of the free 2008 DVD Garmin gave away for those who wanted to upgrade. You have to buy the Unlock Code if you wish to use the DVD to upgrade any units but the DVD itself was free. You then use the unlock code from your Nuvi / MyGarmin to unlock it on your PC. That's what I've done.

Why not ask in the For Sale / Wanted forum if any one has a DVD they no longer want?

Edit: Just remembered. When you install the Update DVD MapSource asks if you want to extract the Unlock Code from your Nuvi and use it on the PC. Not the Maps..... Embarassed
jetta2k76
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the same boat.. just bought a Nuvi 760 with 2008 maps preloaded and would like to use MapSource on my PC to review data and set routes.

I found where to download MapSource, but it requires a previous installation of MapSource which I don't have. I was able to find a way around this prompt and install MapSource, but now says that I don't have any installed Mapsource products. Ok... I got this far.

Is there any data that exists on my Nuvi that I can use with MapSource? Basically...what do I need at this point to use MapSource... buy an update DVD from Garmin? If so, this now poses 2 problems.

1) The product itself http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/citynavnt.jsp states "Note: You cannot use this product to update the maps on your preloaded Garmin device. To order updated map data for your preloaded Garmin device, visit the Map Updates page."

2) The Map Updates page https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=27784 doesn't say anything about containing MapSource...DVD or Download method.

It seems that I should go with option 1) to get MapSource, but then I'll have different versions, 2009 on my PC, and 2008 on my Nuvi. Is this a problem? Will the review and set routes function be compatible between the two? Is there something else I'm missing?

Thanks for any help!
Phil_Rengert
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: I have got MapSource to work on New Nuvi 760 Reply with quote

Hi, I purchased the Nuvi 760 on Sunday, played around with it and attempted to view maps etc on the P.C using a downloaded copy of MapSource. This program wouldn't run as described by others, the same error. Searched the internet and found this website:

http://freegeographytools.com/2007/garmin-mapsource-for-free

The text written there is correct. I don't know the legallities, but MapSource now runs perfectly ok.
jetta2k76
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Actaully... after reading a few more posts like mine, it seems that a quick phone call to Garmin stating your situation will resolve the problem.

They'll offer to ship you a free version ($10.00 S&H with DVD purchase which includes the MapSource software). I went this route and within a week or two I had the DVD and installed the software. It did cost $10.00, but still worth the call vs. just buying the DVD outright.

Hope this helps.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: