Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Old & New Maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Old & New Maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Old & New Maps Reply with quote

I have a TT 510 running updated application software v7.162 but still using its original maps ‘GB_plus_major_roads_of_WE’ v650.1046 I am also using TT Home v2.3.1.92.

I decided to update the map but as there did not appear to be an updated equivalent of my original, I have just downloaded and installed v7.20 map of Great Britain and the Republic of Ireland, as this seems to be the closest equivalent to my original.

Everything seems to have worked correctly and the new map has been installed, however my TT device now has folders within it for both the original and new maps and is still working with the original map or at least that’s what it says when I tap the lower right hand corner twice to show full technical details.

Should I delete the folder for its original maps or is there another way of making it use the new one? I don’t envisage ever using the major roads of western Europe but it could be of use to any other prospective user should I loan it to anyone or sell it to purchase a newer TT in the future.

I do have a full Windows Explorer backup both before and after the download so I should have almost all possibilities covered.
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you been through your change preferences menu?

In TTN6 there is an option to switch maps within the 'Manage maps' item, I'm assuming you may have similar.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpikeyMikey wrote:
Have you been through your change preferences menu?

In TTN6 there is an option to switch maps within the 'Manage maps' item, I'm assuming you may have similar.
That's exactly right, Mike.

Change Preferences...
Manage Maps...
Switch Map.

EricWB It will be a good idea to COPY your MapSettings.cfg file from your old map folder into the new map folder, in order to carry forward your settings.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your replies I did find the option to Switch Maps after I made my post.

Dennis why cant TT give useful tips like yours about copying MapSettings.cfg or even include it as an option in the upgrade process?

Your tip came too late for me as I have done them the hard way now but it would have helped a lot thanks.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EricWB wrote:
Dennis why cant TT give useful tips like yours about copying MapSettings.cfg or even include it as an option in the upgrade process?
I must hastily (well, slowly, my email has been dead for a few days, so I've only just picked up your reply!) deny credit for that. I can't imagine who first told me and others about it, but all I've done is copy their recommendation.

As for TomTom being bright? Well, if they were REALLY bright, they'd hand over a reasonably large pile of cash to PGPSW to be permitted to give this website address details instead of their own so-called support service - the information you get here is accurate, comprehensive and you don't get people denying any such problem exists. Oh, and the answers arrive quite quickly - you don't go through the auto-acknowledge then two days waiting for some bozo to hit the "auto-select answers based on some quite unrelated keyword" button. Sorry, don't get me started!!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: