Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Can the Nuvi 2xx series display Points of Interest
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Can the Nuvi 2xx series display Points of Interest
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nheather
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Can the Nuvi 2xx series display Points of Interest Reply with quote

I have a Nuvi 255 and I'm trying to figure out how to set the map to display POIs.

I understand I can select 'Where To' then choose from POIs but what I'm searching for is a way of setting POIs to be displayed on the map whether I navigating to them or not.

For example ones that I had enabled on my old TomTom were Speed Cameras and Petrol Stations.

The display of Speed Cameras is esepcially important to me because I drive with the SatNav sound muted.

At the moment I haven't decided what to do about Speed Camera database. I was going to subscribe to the service here rather than the Garmin official one but if it's not possible to see the speed cameras on the map then I'm not sure there is much point.

Also a bit puzzled by Garmin manuals. The unit comes with a 'Quick Start' only as do TomToms. As this is a 'Quick Start' and doesn't cover all the features of the unit I assume there is a full user manual (online like the TomTom) but as yet I have been unable to locate it.

Cheers,

Nigel
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the Garmin 2xx series don't show POIs such as Petrol Stations, however the Speed Cameras will show because they contain keyword such as RedLight, Mobile, GATSO etc. When loaded with the POILoader software the Speed Camera database files will be altered to produce and audio and visual alert. The visual alert is both an on screen icon and a banner telling you the camera type, number and speed.

I can't find any manuals other than the Quick Start one either...
nheather
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed Cameras.

Yes I've seen the banner come up - I assume that's because the Garmin database is preloaded.

But what it doesn't appear to show is where the camera is.

In the particular case I see each day, the banner comes up as you enter the speed check zone and doesn't go away until you leave it. This covers a mile or more and there is a fixed camera in the middle but this location is shown - just the vague warning that there might be a camera around here somewhere.

Cheers,

Nigel
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't comment on the Garmin (Cyclops) database as i don't use it. However i have used the PGPSW database on my i3 which predates your 2xx and on my 760. Both work as i described. The show the location and give alerts, otherwise what would be the point?

Quote:
there is a fixed camera in the middle but this location is shown - just the vague warning that there might be a camera around here somewhere.

I don't undserstand what you are saying here. Both databases should show the exact location of the speed camera and alert as you approach it until you pass it.

What do these alerts say? If it's the "30 Mph Speed Limit Ahead" type warnings those are built into the map data and can't be turned off and are inaccurate anyway.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nheather wrote:
Speed Cameras.

Yes I've seen the banner come up - I assume that's because the Garmin database is preloaded.

But what it doesn't appear to show is where the camera is.

In the particular case I see each day, the banner comes up as you enter the speed check zone and doesn't go away until you leave it. This covers a mile or more and there is a fixed camera in the middle but this location is shown - just the vague warning that there might be a camera around here somewhere.

Cheers,

Nigel

the garmin / cyclops database won't show you where the actual mobile camera is sited, just alert you during 'the zone'

MaFt
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the garmin / cyclops database won't show you where the actual mobile camera is sited, just alert you during 'the zone'

Shocked Shocked Shocked

I'll have to reload it onto my unit and try it.... Is that the same for all camera types?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what i see approaching a local Monitron with the PGPSW database. The camera icon gives the location of the camera.

Mobiles in the PGPSW database get their own icon in the same way.

edit:spelling

Last edited by PaulB2005 on Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This shows a Mobile camera location in the PGPSW database. The icon shows the Mobile "site". You do get an alert banner too but i missed it...

The Cyclops database doesn't show this icon.

You might also want to consider reading this thread
nheather
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still a little puzzled about whether the 2xx can display POI icons or not as I've read a number of different views on the internet

(i) No it can't
(ii) It can't in 3D but can in 2D.
(iii) In 2D they are only displayed as grey dots unless you zoom in.

I'm guessing that it can't display them because I can't find any option to select the types to display. So it either displays them all or none at all.

There are two other possibilities

(a) It displays custom POIs but not standard ones
(b) It displays POIs that have a proximity setting

Can't imagine that (a) would make sense but (b) may be true. There is a setting to enable proximity alerts for valid POI groups.

I would have hoped that it could display any POI type but I'm guessing that isn't the case.

But before I go for the Camera database I need to be sure that the icons will be displayed on the map.

Cheers,

Nigel
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But before I go for the Camera database I need to be sure that the icons will be displayed on the map.

As stated above it will.
m-a-r-k
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All POIs are displayed only when you are zoomed in enough when you tap the screen to get the "looking down from above" view of where you are (ie not the journey screen).
City Navigator Europe NT 2018.10
nheather
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005

Sorry Paul, I didn't see you screen images at work - my employer blocks certain sources so sometimes webpages appear incomplete.

m-a-r-k I've yet to see any POIs on my 255, in either 2D or 3D mode. I've tried zooming in as much as I can. Is there something you have to do to enable them - can't see anything myself. I'm not talking about cameras here but things like petrol stations.

Cheers,

Nigel
m-a-r-k
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the 255 works differently then, but I get all my POIs displayed (Garmin built-in ones and my custom ones with larger icons) when I zoom right in - great when walking around an unfamiliar town on holiday.

Maybe there is a setting on one of your menus that I don't have?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I get all my POIs displayed (Garmin built-in ones and my custom ones with larger icons) when I zoom right in

Is that in Browse Map (or when you click on the map) because mine does that in the 2D modes but not in 3D, where you only get your Custom POIs.
m-a-r-k
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Browse Map mode. I only ever see Speed Camera icons in 3D Journey mode. I've never seen any other custom POI icons in 3D mode whilst on a journey but that may be because the zoom level wasn't high enough.

Last edited by m-a-r-k on Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: