Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Go 520 - Should I register it??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Go 520 - Should I register it??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baddowboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:59 am    Post subject: TomTom Go 520 - Should I register it?? Reply with quote

Hi All!! Just bought a 520 and out of the box the map version is showing as 7.221. Done nothing else with it...yet!! Given that I read on here that there may be a new map due in August/September, I wondered if the "30 day new map guarantee" only starts ticking from the first connection to Home, or is the 520 somehow aware of the date it was first switched on? Is it therefore in my interest to delay connecting it via the pc to Home for a few days (weeks?) to try to qualify for the update? Also, I suppose I HAVE to register via Home to allow me to upload the camera database from THIS site, which is probably more important to me than the latest maps.....

Any thoughts??
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do not have to register with Home to download the camera database from the pocket gps site ( and to be honest the camera data base on pocket gps is so much more accurate)!!
At the moment you have the latest maps 7.20 so you have nothing to lose in waiting and everything to gain .
What software version have you !!!

Do not forget to make a back up copy in windows explorer as this is the most reliable way to do it before you do anything

To me the version 7.221. sounds like your software version you can find out by tapping the satellite signal bars at the lower right hand side of the sat nav and then tap the version number
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed 7,221 was a software version and not the map number, you should backup the device then update it using Home (applications are free), it will update to 7,481 then on the second connection it will go to 8,010 which is the latest release.
As for a map, you can try waiting for a few weeks, but don't leave it too long as TT will demand a copy of the sales receipt if the auto update doesn't work correctly - the latest current map for your device is v720.
The v720 maps are compiled from the same data used to make the v8 maps, but they don't contain the IQ routes or reality view aspects - Mike
Baddowboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John and Mike for the quick replies! So it's the software version I've seen displayed, rather than the map version? I've read the excellent advice about backing up using explorer first - which I will do in a few moments - but I assumed that to do that I would need to connect using the dock, which would in itself begin to connect to Home, and thus "activate" the device.

Perhaps I am using the wrong terminology here, because Mike has inferrered in his reply that the act of updating the software version (twice) via Home still does not mean that I have to update the maps at that point.

Basically, I just didn't want to "waste" an upgrade if I already have virtually the latest maps just in case the next TT map release incorporates some major changes.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Baddowboy
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you turn on your Sat nav and if it is connected on the cradle your sat nav will ask you if you want to connect to the computer !!
When you touch the yes on the sat nav it will connect and if you have home installed it will automatically start up!! it then will begin looking for updates

I believe it will not update your map for you just the satellite quick fix ,software version, and map corrections .
To update the maps using the latest map guarantee go to tools on the bar at the top and select use latest map guarantee .
You will have to update the software in stages one at a time I believe before doing the map update.
You have 30 days to use the latest map guarantee so if you leave it towards the end of the 30 days to give yourself a chance of getting the best map update.
Just a word of warning the map updates can be a bit temperamental .

One last point always use the correct disconnect device procedure as the software can be easily corrupted if it is not followed

You can only use the latest map guarantee once
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john877 wrote:
When you touch the yes on the sat nav it will connect and if you have home installed it will automatically start up!! it then will begin looking for updates

Not necessarily. If you open HOME without the device connected, go to the Tools menu and select TomTom HOME Preferences you can select the Startup preferences you want. You can stop it checking for updates when you connect the device, or starting when your computer starts.
Samsung Galaxy S21
Baddowboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've bitten the bullet now! Logged on via home, received the two software updates just as Mike suggested, then envoked the latest map guarantee and loaded that too!!

Now I have app. 8.010 with UK maps v720.1803, so that appears to be up to date.

I've also subscribed here, downloaded the latest camera database and the voices to go with it. Again, thanks to some excellent tutorials on here it all appeared to load without a hitch.

Thanks to everyone!!

Now..... is there a way to decide which updates I receive via the map share facility. Someone has mentioned words like "trusted" "un-substantiated" and so on. Is there a way to configure what is actually downloaded?

Thanks,

Baddowboy
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baddowboy wrote:
Now..... is there a way to decide which updates I receive via the map share facility. Someone has mentioned words like "trusted" "un-substantiated" and so on. Is there a way to configure what is actually downloaded?

Go to page 2 of the Main Menu.
Tap Map corrections
Tap Correction preferences
You can then select which corrections to use.
Samsung Galaxy S21
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baddowboy wrote:
Logged on via home, received the two software updates just as Mike suggested, then envoked the latest map guarantee and loaded that too!!

I've also subscribed here, downloaded the latest camera database and the voices to go with it. Again, thanks to some excellent tutorials on here it all appeared to load without a hitch.

Well done!
Some people seem to really struggle, so it's nice to know the tutorials etc. CAN work. Thumbs Up
Baddowboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems at all - apart from me not really exploring the menus before asking questions!!

I made a point of reading this forum and the tutorials before I even bought the device, Andy, so that I had a clear idea of which device would suit me best. That said, I still wasn't sure what to expect when I actually connected the TT the first time!!

Anyway, it all works fine now - speed alerts work well, although the voice file for the mobile camera alert seems to goes off every few yards, and in places where I have never seen a camera, so that might need tinkering with to save my sanity, but other than that I'm very pleased with it.

So thanks again to each of you and to everyone who helped compile the tutorials which make it easy for beginners like me!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: