Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Maps & Mapshare question for 720
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Maps & Mapshare question for 720

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrfreeze
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Maps & Mapshare question for 720 Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I have just received a TT720 which i began using straight away. I have been busily updating roads and junction priorities etc as i come across them and sending in on the mapshare facility to be used by everyone.

Now i realise i will be using my LMG to update the map, from V710 to hopefully V8 but if not certainly V720.

So my question is, when i update the map will all my changes be lost off my unit.
I understand that i have shared them with the community, but what happens if TT don't approve them, so they don't go out on general release.

Will they be lost forever or will i still have them on my unit?
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Maps & Mapshare question for 720 Reply with quote

mrfreeze wrote:
So my question is, when i update the map will all my changes be lost off my unit.

In a word, YES

The MapShare updates are device and map version specific - so the updates which you are currently downloading are those which have been submitted by other 720 users on the same map version.

As soon as you update the map version, some updates which you have installed via MapShare may have been included in the latest map version. Unfortunately, any updates which are not included in the new map release will have to be re-entered onto your 720 via MapShare.
mrfreeze
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy for the quick reply.

Is there no way i can backup the changes i have made already so that i can re-apply them to the new map?
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I'm aware, because updates are map version specific, they don't work with the 'new' map.

I'm not an expert on MapShare, but I believe the updates you apply are 'non-transferrable'.

I shall be happy to be proved wrong, though, if somebody else has a solution for you.
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that would be very nice is if TomTom/Tele Atlas gave some kind of feedback on the map errors all of us customers are submitting volontary. I've been submitting map error to Tele Atlas for the last 2-3 years via Map Insight and to TomTom via Map Share and in none of these cases I have received any feedback indicating whether the suggested change has been accepted or not and when a correction is likely to appear in their products. This is really bad considering the effort all customers are putting in for free to improve their product.

I have also submitted a few map errors to Navteq for the last couple of years via their Map Reporter site and I never received any feedback...until about two weeks ago when I suddenly received an email telling that one of my proposed map changes had been accepted and would be included in the next map release. I was quite suprised about this in a positive way. Similar kind of feedback from TomTom/Tele Atlas would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Ulf
Garmin GPSMap 60CSx (SW ver. 3.70)
mrfreeze
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
As far as I'm aware, because updates are map version specific, they don't work with the 'new' map.

I'm not an expert on MapShare, but I believe the updates you apply are 'non-transferrable'.

I shall be happy to be proved wrong, though, if somebody else has a solution for you.

Oh B******S

Suppose i may as well quit altering till i use my LMG

Censored by Dennisn i just wasted my time doing about 20 updates i knew of.

Thanks Andy Sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: