Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed camera submission
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed camera submission
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nimh999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Speed camera submission Reply with quote

I submitted a mobile speed camera location about a month ago and it's not on the latest version of the database. A what point does a speed camera submission get included in the database as I thought it would have been included in the unconfirmed speed cameras at the least for everyone's benefit.

I saw the camera a second time a few days later and felt convinced that it would have been confirmed by someone as a second siting.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you give some details so we can check it out (verifiers don't know WHO submits the reports).

Are you sure it isn't in this month's pMobile files. There was a problem with the new download on the first day (corrected now) that would have meant new ones since the previous release wouldn't show up.

Finally, did you include good comments in the submission? MaFt is pretty strict - for mobiles it's "no comments, no happen"!
nimh999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a copy of the email I received but I am a little previous as the submission was made on the 4th June; not quite a month ago. I have omitted the rest of the details, and yes I have made some comments in the comments box.

PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS EMAIL - THIS IS AN AUTOMATED RESPONSE FROM THE POCKETGPSWORLD.COM TEAM

Hi nimh999,

Many thanks for your submission, it is very much appreciated. As a direct result of such contributions the speed camera database will continue to be widely regarded as the best available, most used and most trusted in the UK.

For your information, the details of the camera(s) you have submitted are shown below:
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nimh999 wrote:
For your information, the details of the camera(s) you have submitted are shown below:

That doesn't help at all to identify the camera you're talking about, you'll have to give us a bit more to work on. Don't worry about someone else grabbing your glory - if you were the first to report it, you'll get the lifetime membership.

And as for other people spotting the camera, a couple of months ago there was a police car with a speed gun at the same spot near where I work for 3 days on the run, and apparently no-one else reported it. There aren't as many camera spotters out there as we'd like.
nimh999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the details I submitted.

Addition of: Reversible Mobile (ID#0), Heading: 360, Lat:51.728809125355, Lon:0.011522769927979 (United Kingdom), Speed:60, Mobile van seems to be able to target vehicles both ways

Just out of interest. Do Google Earth take pictures of the Earth every day but not update them daily because there is a lot of stitching of the pictures and co ordinates, because if they do then would it not be possible to verufy camera locations especially mobiles via Google Earth by just buying the co ordinates individually, or has someone already thought of that and maybe the cost is too prohibitive compared to the current mode of verification?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just out of interest. Do Google Earth take pictures of the Earth every day but not update them daily

More like every 3 or 4 years..... The picture of my house is currently at least 18 months old....
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:
Just out of interest. Do Google Earth take pictures of the Earth every day but not update them daily

More like every 3 or 4 years..... The picture of my house is currently at least 18 months old....

The one of mine is over 5 years I reckon! On my drive is a silver van which I sold in '03.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nimh999 wrote:
would it not be possible to verufy camera locations especially mobiles via Google Earth by just buying the co ordinates individually, or has someone already thought of that and maybe the cost is too prohibitive compared to the current mode of verification?

'Buying the co-ordinates'? Where do you suggest we buy them from then?
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest, what were the submission comments which accompanied this submission?

By my reckoning, those co-ordinates put the van just inside a field with a hedge running along the roadside, thus obstructing it's view and a good distance away from the farm track.

The comment which appears in the acknowledgement e-mail "Mobile van seems to be able to target vehicles both ways" is a little vague and doesn't describe the location.

The submissions page says "Mobiles: To assist with verification you MUST give a description of the location as well as any other relevant information otherwise your submission may be rejected." and the lack of this information may be the reason why your submission hasn't been processed.
nimh999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
'Buying the co-ordinates'? Where do you suggest we buy them from then?
Think about this logically. These satellites circle the Earth every day taking the same pictures. They are not going to update the pictures daily just because they have todays picture when yesterdays picture to the majority of us serves the purpose we require, which is just to look at our house and the landscape around and the fact that the only difference to the majority of us is the silver van we sold in 03 is neither here nor there. They do sell up to date pictures of the Earth. I don't know how much they cost and yes it sounds a little wacky and it's fine for you lot to take the pee. If you click on layers in Google Earth then select Digital Globe it shows the DG layers. By clicking on a DG icon it shows the picture taken on that day and there can often be three four five pictures taken on different days very close together. Yes some days are cloudy and the pictures are a waste of space but that doesn't stop them taking the pictures. They just don't publish them. At the bottom of the picture it say's "To order call.........."

Tim Buxton wrote:
PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:

The one of mine is over 5 years I reckon! On my drive is a silver van which I sold in '03.

Yes, I agree that my description of the location could have been a bit more in depth but it doesn't make my sighting any less valid and if it helps I could provide a better description. My location is 26 feet from the carriageway and not inside a field but on the verge. Yes it could have been a little closer. So I reckon I was about 15 foot out. Once again I don't think it makes my two sightings any less valid. If lets say three, four, five people who are not moderators or camera spotters report the same location is that not sufficient to enter a camera location?
GPS_fan wrote:
By my reckoning, those co-ordinates put the van just inside a field with a hedge running along the roadside, thus obstructing it's view and a good distance away from the farm track.

The comment which appears in the acknowledgement e-mail "Mobile van seems to be able to target vehicles both ways" is a little vague and doesn't describe the location.

The submissions page says "Mobiles: To assist with verification you MUST give a description of the location as well as any other relevant information otherwise your submission may be rejected." and the lack of this information may be the reason why your submission hasn't been processed.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nimh999 wrote:
My location is 26 feet from the carriageway and not inside a field but on the verge. Yes it could have been a little closer. So I reckon I was about 15 foot out. Once again I don't think it makes my two sightings any less valid. If lets say three, four, five people who are not moderators or camera spotters report the same location is that not sufficient to enter a camera location?

Maybe, but for somebody advocating the use of Google Maps for verification, this is what is shown for the co-ordinates you provided above:

Google Map -

Submissions page -

I'm not sure that the farmer would agree it's on a "verge", which is shown on the maps as a hedge and is clearly casting a shadow.

It also doesn't get around the fact that you omitted to include the required description of the location within your subscription.

MaFt will have the definitive reason for your submission not being processed, but the maps appear to show no verge at the submitted location - and without a description being submitted, it might just not have been sufficient comment to include it.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nimh999 wrote:
Think about this logically. These satellites circle the Earth every day taking the same pictures. They are not going to update the pictures daily just because they have todays picture when yesterdays picture to the majority of us serves the purpose we require

The data would cost hundreds of thousands of pounds! The images are not taken daily anyway. One or tow imaging satellites orbit the earth taking images and so may not pass over the same spot for 2 or more years.

Regardless, what use are Google images to us anyway?
nimh999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:

Maybe, but for somebody advocating the use of Google Maps for verification, this is what is shown for the co-ordinates you provided above:
I won't deny it doesn't look good but when I submitted this originally and when I checked this location yesterday I am convinced tat the location was 800 feet further south on the verge. Today I agree the location I submitted is behind a farmers hedge and I cannot give an answer as to why (except maybe I gave a crap location).

Darren wrote:

The data would cost hundreds of thousands of pounds! The images are not taken daily anyway. One or tow imaging satellites orbit the earth taking images and so may not pass over the same spot for 2 or more years.

Regardless, what use are Google images to us anyway?
I have already said I didn't know how much the data would cost.

With regard to the frequency of the capture of the data. I disagree. Some locations can have as many as eight pictures taken in less than 3 months. An example would be 51.651569° -0.202962°

Pictures were taken on
Yes some may be crap

It was just a thought and yes if the data is going to cost fortunes then any gains made by being able to independantly verify camera locations especially for mobile locations against the cost wouldn't be worthwhile.

Yes, my suggestion wasn't foolproof as anyone could park a van on a verge and then submit the data hoping that Google would verify.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't see what use a Google Image is for verification? Unless it showed the camera van what would be the point?
nimh999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I still don't see what use a Google Image is for verification? Unless it showed the camera van what would be the point?

nimh999 wrote:
would it not be possible to verufy camera locations especially mobiles via Google Earth
Well I wasn't suggesting that you look at the image to prove that there wasn't a camera van there. Obviously the idea was too wacky for you. I was just thinking out of the box.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: