Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom's own Cameras in map view
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom's own Cameras in map view

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: TomTom's own Cameras in map view Reply with quote

One of the reasons I dislike the TomTom-supplied Safety Camera Database is that you cannot see the cameras on the normal navigation display (until you get within the alert distance you've set), and you cannot see them on the "Browse map" page at all!

If I remember correctly, it used to work (and display) like ordinary POIs (they were ordinary format POI files), until they changed their system and encrypted them.

Now, a contributor on yourNav seems to have found a loophole:
Quote:
If you take any new Tomtom out of the box or reset to factory settings from the menu options (not using the reset button) you will notice the following behaviour.
From the main driving view display if you press the "-" zoom out button you will see all the Tomtom safety cameras in your area displayed like a poi and also if you put a route demo with safety cameras on the route you will notice that they are displayed approaching the camera and passing it and remaining displayed after the warning alert has disappeared.

BUT:
Quote:
As soon as you activate the "browse map" feature from the menu options then the above behaviour changes. You will not see any safety cameras when you use the zoom out button in the the main driving view display and when on a route or route demo you will not see a speedcam when approaching it until the warning activates when it displays and disappears during this warning.

I have a sneaking suspicion that they DELIBERATELY stopped the cams all showing on the map, either to stop people copying them, or to hide how poor their coverage was! But maybe it's been a mistake all along and they should show up normally.
What do you think?
Brickie64
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,
I think they've hidden them just to stop people coying the locations. can't imagine why they are so paranoid but for me that's the only explanation.

Garmin Nuvi 3598 + GO 720 (+USA Map Card) + NavFree for iPhone in case all else fails ;-)
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to agree. They're protected and encrypted to prevent people copying them, simple as.

Plenty seem happy to use them even knowing they're poor quality, go figure!
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH, and I know we have had these discussions before when i came back to using the database from here I found the TT UK camera coverage OK.

Others that do more road miles in different areas may think otherwise but regarding GATSO's/SPECS/REDLIGHTS I found them spot on. They also seem to be in EXACTLY the right position. Even temp GATSO's or SPECS were in there after a week or so.

Where this database wins is the mobile locations which TT can never match.

So, I dont think its anything to do with coverage but thats my opinion.

Steve
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else want to try a reset to see if they get the same results?
I've been trying to do it myself, but for the last two days I've fallenn asleep on the sofa as soon as I've got in! Rolling Eyes
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomo wrote:
I found the TT UK camera coverage OK...........

regarding GATSO's/SPECS/REDLIGHTS I found them spot on. They also seem to be in EXACTLY the right position. Even temp GATSO's or SPECS were in there after a week or so.

I have to say I'm astounded. The TT cameras on my brand new (April 2008) ONE 3rd Edition were so WRONG I could hardly believe it. I can't remember the details now, but on my first run to London along the M4 from Bristol, I seem to recall that of the seventeen cameras TT reported, only six were still there AND of those - all Gatsos - TT gave two different warnings for three of them. I still have them on the ONE for interest, and I find that I regularly get TWO warnings for just the one camera.

I have been sooooo tempted out of curiosity to actually subscribe to TT cameras, just to satisfy myself they are just as bad if they are updated, but I can't be bothered with the hassle.

As for Factory Reset, Andy - sorry, I can't be ***ed to go through all that for a one-off peek at something so poor. I find the invisibility of the TT cameras yet another poor comparison against the pgpsw ones. I'd be interested if your man can hack them to display permanently - I haven't the slightest inclination to copy them, simply curious to see another example of them getting involved in something they can't (and don't need to) handle.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I subscribed to the TT database when I replaced my Road Angel with a 520 about a month ago & I’m really disappointed with their efforts. 2 cameras very close to my home simply show up as exclamation marks, and they’ve been there for years!! I now subscribe to the complete ‘Speed Zoned’ P’GPS database with the extra icons & voices, which I have set to give me a 10x distance warning, whilst the TT database is set to give me an extra ‘beep beep’ just before I get to the location. It works for me but I certainly won’t be renewing my subscription to TT.
930tPaul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Anyone else want to try a reset to see if they get the same results?
I've been trying to do it myself, but for the last two days I've fallenn asleep on the sofa as soon as I've got in! Rolling Eyes

I did a factory reset for another reason, but I had read this thread first so thought I'd try this at the same time.

My930T DID show all the cameras after the reset in the map view when I zoomed out. I then did browse map and tried again. The cameras are now NOT showing.
doris2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just upgraded to V8 software it was very annoying driving down the M1 when my one v3 started flashing at me. The TT cameras had returned with no sounds and the menu option to turn them off seems to have gone. The only way to remove them was using TT home. TT showed about 15 cameras on my route only 2 of which are there. Most were specs from the M1/M18 improvements last year and the others were from gatso`s that have long gone. Good job I had PGPSW instead.

Dave
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Tomo wrote:
I found the TT UK camera coverage OK...........

regarding GATSO's/SPECS/REDLIGHTS I found them spot on. They also seem to be in EXACTLY the right position. Even temp GATSO's or SPECS were in there after a week or so.

I have to say I'm astounded. The TT cameras on my brand new (April 2008) ONE 3rd Edition were so WRONG I could hardly believe it. I can't remember the details now, but on my first run to London along the M4 from Bristol, I seem to recall that of the seventeen cameras TT reported, only six were still there AND of those - all Gatsos - TT gave two different warnings for three of them. I still have them on the ONE for interest, and I find that I regularly get TWO warnings for just the one camera.

TBH Dennis I may of just been lucky, my experiences of the TT database were limited to Central scotland, down to Newcastle (A1) and down to Stoke-On-trent but in those areas they seemed fine. I have no doubt now though that the database from here is much better and 100 times more likley to be updated.

Steve

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: