Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - A bit of advice needed please - maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

A bit of advice needed please - maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Welllost
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: A bit of advice needed please - maps Reply with quote

Early last year I bought a Navman F20, it was the first SatNav I have ever owned and I have been pleased with it.

Since then I have changed my job and now need to do more driving, I am still pleased with the F20 except for one problem - the out of date maps. As far as I can see there doesn't seem to be any map up date coming anytime soon. Which brings me to my question; is there another make of SatNav that up dates their maps more often?, I don't mind paying that is not the issue, its just getting hold of something more up todate.

A friend of mine said he thought they all run from the same maps and as soon an update comes all makes up date, is this true?. (By the way I am not looking for anything expensive and fancy, the Navman F20 has all the features I need if it had up to date maps).

Any thoughts and advice much appreciated.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are only two map providers who make updates available on a regular basis, the navigation companies have to take this data and put it into the required format for their hardware which can take time and money.
TomTom have recently been updating customers maps approx. every three months, you also get to use the MapShare technology where you can update your own map with certain information and share this with other users (if you want to). - Mike
Welllost
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
There are only two map providers who make updates available on a regular basis, the navigation companies have to take this data and put it into the required format for their hardware which can take time and money.
TomTom have recently been updating customers maps approx. every three months, you also get to use the MapShare technology where you can update your own map with certain information and share this with other users (if you want to). - Mike

Thanks Mike - sounds as though it might be worth buying a TomTom then, how much do TomTom charge for these three monthly map up dates?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no gaurantee they will keep up with regular updates, but they tend to issue them more than any other manufacturer at the moment.

The Map Share feature can be used for up to 12 months, a map update for UK typically cost £40, where as Europe would cost £75 - roads don't alter that much though to require updating every time they release a map!

If you go for one of the newer x30 devices they run slightly different maps with IQ routing built in to the map data along with the Lane Assist feature, for these maps you should add £10 to the prices mentioned above for the UK map, Europe remains the same price though (Rip Off Britain time again) - Mike
Welllost
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
There is no gaurantee they will keep up with regular updates, but they tend to issue them more than any other manufacturer at the moment.

The Map Share feature can be used for up to 12 months, a map update for UK typically cost £40, where as Europe would cost £75 - roads don't alter that much though to require updating every time they release a map!

If you go for one of the newer x30 devices they run slightly different maps with IQ routing built in to the map data along with the Lane Assist feature, for these maps you should add £10 to the prices mentioned above for the UK map, Europe remains the same price though (Rip Off Britain time again) - Mike

OK thanks - I've just sent an email off to Navman to try and get some idea of when or even if there's going to be a UK map update for the F20, if no joy I think I will start looking at a TomTom.
Welllost
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just received an email from Navman in response to my query about updated UK maps - the only update available is Western Europe which includes the UK at £59 . . . I'm not sure I really want to pay nearly £60 for a map update especially when most of the maps I would be getting I'm not going to use Crying or Very sad

I'm going to have to think about this, maybe get a Navman S30, thats only about £90 I think. Hmmmm not too pleased with this, surely you shouldn't have to buy a complete new SatNav every couple of years to get a map update should you?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: