Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mobile Speed Camera Van New Type??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mobile Speed Camera Van New Type??
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdm197
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Mobile Speed Camera Van New Type?? Reply with quote

Hi All,

I have photographed a Van today which I have not seen before, I have checked the submissions page and it does not appear there either.

The camera has two large glass lenses one above the other in the centre, plus what looks like LED illuminators to each side of them. The camera is on an extending pole which comes out of the roof of the van, it can also rotate.

I will go back later to get the exact co ordinates, if this is a speed camera. I also went past with my Valentine 1 Laser/Radar dectector and was lasered twice!

SDM197

Last edited by sdm197 on Wed May 14, 2008 5:39 pm; edited 4 times in total
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sites like imageshack.com (among others) will host images for free whih you can then link to using the 'Img' button above and pasting the URL inbetween the tags

MaFt
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately you can't post pictures directly to the site, you have to post them on some webspace of your own, or a photo storage website (I use photobucket).
You can then add them to your post using the "Img" button at the top of the composition window - click on "Img" then add the url of your stored picture and then click the "Img" box again to close the code. (or if you use Photobucket, they provide a copyable "Image" link that includes all the codes already).

The admin of this site would like a maximum of 400pixels WIDE for any pictures posted
(any bigger, and the adverts fall off the side of the page Wink )

Edit: Sorry MaFt, I saw you got there before me, but you hadn't mentioned Darren's maximum size preferences, so I bunged my post in anyway.
sdm197
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Pics Now Should be OK Reply with quote

Hi All,

Pictures now resized, the camera is Laser, as I was targeted twice as I drove towards it.

I took a good look at the camera, I parked and took the photos of the van. It looked like a fixed version of the hand held laser guns, with two large lenses one above the other (Difficult to see in the photo too much backlight)

SDM197
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you knock on the door nd ask the operator Wink

MaFt
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see that van drive under a low bridge..... Twisted Evil

Are you sure it's not ANPR? Do the IR illuminators on SPECS/Congestion Charge systems set off your Valentine?
sdm197
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Skippy,

The ANPR's on the Roads around Birmingham do, Plus my local Tesco's has a reader as you enter the car park which sets the laser detector off too.

But having seen the Hand held Laser Guns close up before this looked like that. The ANPR's look different. Specs do not set it off at all.

The lenses between the side plates were the same as this

SDM197.
sdm197
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

I saw the same type van today (See Below)

he was parked in the same place, I banged on the van and spoke to the operator, he told me that this van was for enforcing the Low Emission Zone, he said the van used to enforce the congestion charge, but they had been modified for this new purpose. It has an ANPR on the top to check the number plates of vehicles this is what set my Laser detector off.

I hope that clears this up,

SDM197.

Last edited by sdm197 on Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm.

It then Beggars the question, do we start including in the Database.

Contentious maybe, in that as Darren once told me before, and thinking about it, I tend to agree, standard ANPR devices and locations, are NOT what this place is about.

BUT, let me put it like this...

What I DO rely on the PGPSW Database for, is keeping my licence clean - by a number of ways, promoting safer driving being one of them.

But no, why I come here is NOT Speed Cameras alone as such, but "Clean Licence" - let's all be fair, honest, and truthful - only a very rare few can claim different round here.

Once new camera van types start cropping up, that STILL carry a manner to end up adding points to my licence, I DO want to see those things included in the Database.

Bear in mind, the Editors and creators of this site, may have a personal view, but the CUSTOMER view, has to have relevance, or at least, a hearing.

So all I would say is I agree with Darren, that bog standard ANPR poles, sites, and clusters, are not for inclusion in the DB.

But any other type of enforcement van, car, or camera, SHOULD BE, as call it as you like, my purpose in coming to this site, actually reads "Clean Licence" and I for one am open and honest enough to admit it *Laughing Out Loud*

HOWEVER, let me close by saying, that not fully knowing what the operator means by "Enforce a Low Emission Zone", I am not SURE how this could lead to points on someone's licence, ss it may be that for that reason, once explained to me, it might not need inclusion.

But please - ENFORCEMENT DEVICES, VANS, AND SITES is what this site is all about, to me, the 'customer' if it is right to call us that (not sure it is, given the healthy Forum section etc too though).

So given that the future will likely see a lot more forms of Camera Enforcement, a blinkered view of the site, is selling it short.

And that's not to say that is the view, not at all, rest assured.

EDIT: Oh, and please, I am aware that sometime I am unfairly perceived as a trouble maker - that's not my aim, ever. But HEALTHY debate can be a good thing, if offered PROPERLY.

So please all, no Flame-proof suits on, just honest, but polite comments either way, if you feel implored, or the urge, to respond either way Laughing Out Loud
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadamehr wrote:
HOWEVER, let me close by saying, that not fully knowing what the operator means by "Enforce a Low Emission Zone", I am not SURE how this could lead to points on someone's licence, as it may be that for that reason, once explained to me, it might not need inclusion.

What we really need is a full POI set of the roads that take a vehicle into the LEZ zone, whilst it doesn't cover cars, see Here for applicability and Here for a map it could be costly for vans/ HGV etc above a certain size, hopefully the Mapping suppliers will also put this zone data into the map making the nav unit more appealing to drivers of the larger vehicles - Mike
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
shadamehr wrote:
HOWEVER, let me close by saying, that not fully knowing what the operator means by "Enforce a Low Emission Zone", I am not SURE how this could lead to points on someone's licence, as it may be that for that reason, once explained to me, it might not need inclusion.

What we really need is a full POI set of the roads that take a vehicle into the LEZ zone, whilst it doesn't cover cars, see Here for applicability and Here for a map it could be costly for vans/ HGV etc above a certain size, hopefully the Mapping suppliers will also put this zone data into the map making the nav unit more appealing to drivers of the larger vehicles - Mike

Er, what actually IS one Mike...?

What are they, what are restricted, or what are you not allowed to do in them etc?

And how does a Camera, catch Emissions?

Or is it just bog standard ANPR stuff, but linked to a DVLA database of vehicles and emission figures or something?

This has got me quite curious and interested now, if anyone has any info, and provided it's staying ON Topic, given the relevance to the type of camera now identified.

Cheers Mike, and any others with info.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadamehr wrote:
This has got me quite curious and interested now, if anyone has any info, and provided it's staying ON Topic, given the relevance to the type of camera now identified.

The links I provided to the LEZ Zone information site will explain all about the idea and how it is being implemented, a camera as such will not detect emissions, but ANPR linked to the DVLA system will provide details of a specific vehicle and whether it should be charged to be at that specific point on the road.
I guess they are employing mobile sites to cover roads that go in to the LEZ zone that are currently devoid of static (fixed) cameras employed for LEZ enforcement - Mike
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/ Note to self: Links are shown in Red to draw key attention to them.

As such, it helps if one reads them.

Oops, sorry, and cheers Mike

Laughing Out Loud
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PGPSW database is called a 'Speed camera Database' NOT 'Clean Licence database. As such, and by definition, it includes Speed cameras. You know, the cash cows that others may laughingly call 'Safety Cameras'.
If you go into London, or drive a large vehicle, then ANPR cameras will seek you out.
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
The PGPSW database is called a 'Speed camera Database' NOT 'Clean Licence database. As such, and by definition, it includes Speed cameras. You know, the cash cows that others may laughingly call 'Safety Cameras'.

But it also includes redlight cameras, which I think is questionable. I for one don't need to be warned about whether it might be "safe" to take a traffic light late.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: