Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which gps receiver for SPV M600 phone?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which gps receiver for SPV M600 phone?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
digit-al
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Which gps receiver for SPV M600 phone? Reply with quote

I've just bought an Orange spv m600 smartphone - hopefully this will replace my Acer n35, phone and wifi card...! I've been using Tomtom 6 on the Acer and like it better than Destinator - to be fair TT covers Spain, which I need and Dest. doesn't. I shall be using TT on my Orange ( soon to be unlocked) phone, but I need to buy a gps receiver for it. Which one? I assume it will be Bluetooth, but does anyone know which one will work best - best also means as cheap as possible, sorry? I really don't want to buy one which struggles to find a signal. Also, does the receiver only have to be compatible with TT, or does the phone make a difference?
For anyone's interest, TT takes a while to pick up satellites unless I do a soft reset first on the Acer, but Dest. has no problems - Win 2003 premium edition.
Albert
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any BT GPS receiver should work with the phone. I would recommend one with either the SiRF III or MTK chipset which are currently the most sensitive around (ie able to lock on to weak signals - usually meaning faster lock-on times). Have a look at a few of the suppliers advertising on this web site for any offers.

The phone isn't on the TT Nav6 supported list - but this doesn't mean it won't work - check on these forums for anyone who has the same setup.

Finally - you'll have to get a new map unlock code from the TTCODE website.

It sounds like a lot of hassle to get the same functionality - why not stick with the acer for navigation and use the new phone for PDA/phone?
digit-al
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the information, Phil. That's just what I needed. Playing around with TT on my phone ( with no receiver yet) I was surprised just how huge the Acer seemed when I picked it up later! I just got a bit fed up carrying my pda and phone and having to swapsd cards when I wanted wifi. I thought that a smart phone, even an old one, would be much easier with everything built in - we'll see. I want to check TT works OK when in the car connected to a receiver. My older Acer(win 2003se) just had the maps jumping all over the place when the car was moving. This Acer (win 2003 premium edition) is stable as a rock. The phone has got to be as good, or it goes!
Thanks again
Albert
digit-al
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: bluetooth receiver for Orange spv m600 Reply with quote

Well, I've just bought a BT-GPS-B-SIRF III bluetooth gps receiver .
The name on the front says active pilot. As Phil mentioned I picked it 'cos it had a sirf chipset, and is compatible with my phone.
I paired the two devices (after charging them) and that was successful. In Tomtom 6 it said no gps device until I configured it with the Tomtom bluetooth receiver and set com 6 on the pda. TT now says it is trying to connect, but - you've guessed - it doesn't actually connect.
Has anyone any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? I'd be really grateful for any help.
Cheers Albert
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a read through This have you followed all the steps? - it is often easily missed to assign the Outgoing port when configuring a new GPS with WM5 or WM6 - Mike
digit-al
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Tomtom now working on Orange SPV M600 Reply with quote

Hi Mike, Thanks enormously for your tutotial. I had gone through all the steps, but the com ports I set up incorrectly (not a first for me!). After I followed your instructions it all worked. BUT! Unfortunately, I was looking at the configuration screen and got a spinning blue/yellow thingy and the N and W measurements. Underneath, the reading was obviously looking at all the satellites. Now, on my pda the columns filled up and were numbered, these matched the small circles in the large circle on the right. None of this showed on my phone. I spent a long time trying to get these to show to no avail. This morning I fitted it into my car and tried it while I drove - of course it worked perfectly....... The config screen was still missing the columns etc., but Tomtom was working as it should, in fact it had obviously been working OK the night before - I was looking for a screen that didn't matter. Although the phone may not be on TT's list it works just fine, and the setup picks up satellites straight away, my Acer N35 is very slow to do so using TT. Sorry for wittering on but I thought the info may be of interest to someone.
thanks again, albert
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is working while using it for navigation and speed camera warnings etc then great, if the sat strength bars don't show up correctly then the GPS device isn't transmitting the relevant data to the phone.

This could be fixed by some messing around but if it goes wrong it could also ruin the GPS unit so I am not too sure about offering a fix for this minor problem, the risk is too high should it go wrong IMHO - Mike
digit-al
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: no sat strength bars Reply with quote

To be perfectly honest I'm quite happy to leave well alone.... The setup picks up satellites very quickly, speed cameras, etc., all seem to work correctly - I'm off to Spain in June so if ot works OK there as well I'll be a very happy bunny,
Regards, Albert

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: