Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Virus?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Virus?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wafter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Virus? Reply with quote

I have a TTGO300 which is a brilliant bit of kit especially since the upgrade to V7.162.
I am going to France shortly so I went, via HOME, to the TT website and downloaded 2 POIs and the official French female voice. This was OK until I fired up the GO and it locked. HOME wouldn't recognise it so I uninstalled it and then linked to the PC using Windows Explorer. What I found amazed me. All the folders were there but most of them were empty!
This is what I found
Root directory - 23 files plus the folders
This is what was in each folder:
Art - 1 file
Contacts - 1
Logging - 0
Script - 6
Licences - 25
Scheme - 0
Sounds - 0
TTconfig - 0
Voices - 0
Statdata - 0
Western Europe map - 0
Zip - 0
POI - 2 files (the 2 I had downloaded)
Text - 0

I have multiple full backups so I am OK in that respect but what happened? Is it a virus or corruption on a massive scale affecting multiple files in different folders? Anyone got any theories or experienced anything like this before?

Cheers
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After you had updated (and before you pulled the USB lead out), did you Disconnect Device, in HOME, or use Safely Remove Hardware, in the Sys Tray, or Right Click the TomTom Drive and select Eject, in Explorer?

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Wafter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed [/img] Er, ..... No
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what Oldboy was getting at that it is a sure fire way to corrupt the software on your Tomtom by not disconnecting correctly
How do I know ??? because I did the same Embarassed

When using home I now disconnect by clicking discount device in Tomtom Home do not believe it when it says you can now remove your device wait.
When your device says do you wish to connect to the computer again you then touch the device screen and say no then when the device has a view of the mapping again turn off and remove

Also did you get a big red cross on your sat nav with a hard drive image
Wafter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info john877. I will follow that routine from now on.

I can switch on my GO and navigate through the menus but going to 'browse map' for instance just locks it up. Not surprising really as there are no maps.
I decided to just delete the files and copy across my backup ones but now there is another problem - I can't delete the files. Windows says the folders are not empty when they are. I decide to reformat the flash drive but it comes up as a RAW type and won't reformat as a FAT32. I've tried all the disk management programs on Windows and have downloaded a couple of fee ones from the web but nothing works. From surfing for this problem it seems quite common. I think I will just buy another 2Gb flash drive as they are now about a fiver.

Lesson is well learned.

Thanks again
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try the SD Formatting Tool.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Wafter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link Oldboy. I downloaded the program and set it going. After 25 mins of formatting it then informed me that it could go no further because my device was not supported!.

After looking at my backup files I can see that it is the Western Europe map files that appear to be missing. I tried copying these across from my backup but it reported that one of the files was corrupt.

I have given up trying to rescue the SD card and have ordered another from Amazon.

Again, thanks for your help.
Wafter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More trouble. Received my 2Gb Sandisk Ultra II today so I put it in the GO300 and connected to the computer. Copied all my backup files across, safely disconnected and booted the GO. I got the SD card sliding out animation with the big red cross.

I did not format the card.
The data.chk file is there
The lock is not on.
All the files and folders are there
I have reset the GO
I have slid the card out, switched on the GO and pushed in the card back in as soon as the GO starts its boot

None of these worked. Any ideas anyone?
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem on a tomtom 720 below is the response from tomtom support have a look it may be of some help

Response from Tomtom support

Quote:
The error you got meant that the Application file (that runs the map and menus) got corrupted, it is very easy to resolve the issue (see details below). The most common cause for this happening is either how you are disconnecting from PC, when disconnecting in TomTom Home always click on 'Device' and then 'Disconnect Device' and it will tell you when it is safe to unplug the device. It may have also been that when you updated your device the application got corrupted.

In this email you will find the solution for the error on your TomTom. This solution can be used in the following situations:

• The device hangs in the start screen (splash screen)
• An SD-card with a red cross is displayed on the screen
• A picture with a red dot and white cross is displayed
• The device can’t be turned off

If you haven't already done so, please download and Install TomTom Home from www.tomtom.com/7602

If you don’t have a full backup of your TomTom yet we advise you to make one before continuing with the steps in this email. You can make a backup by following the steps below:

1. Reset your TomTom device: www.tomtom.com/6965 and connect it to your computer.
2. Click on 'Backup and Restore Backup in TomTom Home 2.0
3. Enter a name for the backup and click [OK]
• IMPORTANT: When the software is asking to delete parts from the backup click [NO]

After the backup is made you delete the files from the root directory of the TomTom. Follow the steps below to do this:

1. Reset your TomTom device: http://www.tomtom.com/6965 and connect it to your computer.
2. Open My Computer in Windows, or Finder in Macintosh from your desktop and turn on your TomTom device.
3. On your screen a new removable disk appears, this is your TomTom device, click on the disk to open it.
4. You will see a list of folders and a list of loose files
5. Delete all of the loose files. IMPORTANT: The folders with their content must NOT be deleted.
5. Close the window when all files are deleted by clicking on the [x].

Next we will reinstall the application via TomTom HOME.

1. Start TomTom HOME on your computer
• TomTom Home should automatically check for updates and prompt you to install them, if not
2. Click on 'Update my device'. If you get the message 'No Items Available', or there is not an application to download, click on 'Add Maps, Traffic, Voices etc Items on my computer', select the application and click on 'Add'.
3. Select the Application update.
4. Click on 'Device Disconnect Device', then turn off your device when it is done installing and disconnect it from your computer.
5. On a PC, in the System Tray by the computer clock, click on the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon and disconnect the TomTom also in this way.

When switching on the device it should boot as normal again.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team

Quote:

Back up in windows rather than tomtom home
Wafter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the info john877. I tried what was in the email from TT but nothing really worked. I tried all affternoon doing various things. After downloading again the WE maps it finally worked - after a fashion. I now have most of the functions but something is still really wrong.

When I try to navigate using a postcode I get a 'file access error' message. The post code file is there in the Zip Folder and has the correct number of bytes.

I have lost all my Favourites

Only mobile cameras show up on the maps. I have re-downloaded the latest camera files and checked all the settings and they are correct.

The initial Splash Screen does not show up even though the file is there and the 'take it or lose it' green exit screen is a fuzzy mess when I switch off.

Any more suggestions anyone? I know it is extremely difficult to diagnose by Internet but I am now at a loss.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: