Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - V8 maps...Where's Central Europe?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

V8 maps...Where's Central Europe?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: V8 maps...Where's Central Europe? Reply with quote

What gives?

I see v8.05 maps are now available from TomTom's map shop

As we know, maps are now device specific, but if you select the Go930 (or 730), it seems there ISN'T a v8.05 Western and Central Europe!

For Go 720: Map of Western & Central Europe v7.20

For Go 930:
Map of Western Europe v8.05

...or Map of Eastern Europe v8.05

Where's the middle bit!

The map on the Go930 product page (HERE) shows everything is there on the maps supplied with it....
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And worse - it's hard for even my decent eyes to be sure, from the tiny thumbnails you include Andy, but it SURE looks to me that "Eastern Europe" standalone, in your example picture, is actually only the extra countries of CENTRAL EUROPE, as additionally included on the W&CE 7.20 map.

Let me explain better...

Take the new WESTERN Europe 8.05, add to it the new EASTERN Europe 8.05...

And what you have are the SAME countries included in the image of Western and CENTRAL Europe v7.20

Have a look and see - bear in mind, that with the scales not being the same, you need to look at the SHAPE of the countries.

So EASTERN EUROPE, as they call in in 8.05, is in fact only the countries originally referred to as CENTRAL Europe in v7.20 and earlier.

EDIT: BTW, this means that in answer to your question, there is actually no MIDDLE bit missed - but there IS now an issue of how they name these, and what is available to buy now.
kichu1979
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact is that there is no official WCE 8.05 listed on TomTom website.

This is problematic, because some 930 device shipped with 8.00 WCE map,
and owners are entitled to latest map guarantee upgrade from 8.00 to 8.05.

And they should be able to upgrade their 8.00 WCE to 8.05 WCE.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadamehr is of course right....
I foolishly got confused by the different scaling and positioning they'd used for the thumbnali maps. Crying or Very sad

The only issue is, as kichu1979 says, how do people with existing W+CE maps update, especially if there is a Latest map Guarantee for them? (although I think it was vicky who has been told by TomTom that there ISN'T one for v8 maps!)
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed Andy, but just to repeat what I said earlier...

shadamehr wrote:
So EASTERN EUROPE, as they call it in 8.05, is in fact only the countries originally referred to as CENTRAL Europe in v7.20 and earlier.

So it's TOMTOM to blame for confusing everyone, by changing their naming convention for the additional countries such as Czech Republic etc, to now be called EASTERN Europe, instead of CENTRAL Europe, as they have always been called by TT before.

So not your fault at all you got confused.

Indeed, from my recent visit to Prague, they themselves certainly refer to themselves as CENTRAL Europe, not Eastern.

Good old TT messing things up yet again.

As you say though, I can buy a v7.20 map of Western and CENTRAL Europe fine for my Go 720 device.

A Go 730/930 user however can NOT buy a v8.05 (essentially the same map, but in Navcore 8 form), for this area - they need to choose either Western, or Eastern (albeit, as I said, Eastern is now what they used to call Central).

Confused...? No blooming wonder.

Thanks TomTom (not) - and well spotted Andy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps a Western_and_Central_Europe map just isn't available in the new 805 release as yet?
We might need to wait a little longer to see if this map is to be released as it would fill the gap - Mike
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Perhaps a Western_and_Central_Europe map just isn't available in the new 805 release as yet?
We might need to wait a little longer to see if this map is to be released as it would fill the gap - Mike

Oh I don't dispute that Mike mate - I would expect to see one.

Point still remains (not wanting to sound like an old moaner), that the naming convention is still just as wrong, even when they do release it, as the EASTERN Europe one that is available, is actually the countries known previously as CENTRAL Europe. So that change is going to confuse most.

Additionally, those poor sorts who are nearing the end of Latest Map Guarantee (assuming they finally get TT to cough to version 8 maps given the debate they are having elsewhere about this).

As they can now elect to update to Western, OR Eastern.

But not both in terms of a single map, as itr should be for those with 930's. This being the first time I know of for TT not to release all the relevant maps of a related region at the same time as each other, if they do later release a W&CE version 8.05

Hope this info is useful.
kichu1979
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

That's true. As for people with 8.00 not being able to upgrad to 8.05, it is worth remembering that 8.00 maps are based on TeleAtlas 2007.10, so
this is the same map as 7.15 with IQ routing and stuff added.

This might be hardly any issue for UK citinez, or some other Western Europe user, but would be a big issue for Polish user since the map coverage between 8.00 and 8.05 means increase of road coverage from 76% to 99%.

I asked official Polish TomTom distributor about this issue, and they told me
that some batch of devices containt 8.00 map, and the latest batch comes with 8.05 preloaded.

Im going confirm this issue within a week as I ordered a batch of GO930
devices for my company directly from official TomTom PL distributor, and the deal between us is I want 8.05 maps preloaded, otherwise I am able to break the deal and return the devices for refund.

Will let you know and report back within few days.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: