Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - navman s50
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

navman s50

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulyoung666
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: navman s50 Reply with quote

is it a good buy at £130 ?? Smile
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Value Reply with quote

Yes the S series is a really good unit, with reliable navigation, loud clear and well times detailed vocal instruction and excellent on screen mapping, wrapped up in a well buit unit and excellent mount system

Downsides are lack of custom POI support over 12,000 (ie. the PGSPW database - the Navman RoadPilot database built into the unit works fine, except for mobile cameras), and the fact that the S50-3D will be out within weeks (with Navman Connect - online POI locater, 3D icons of major buidings, and 2007.10 mapping instead of 2007.4). I cannot see it retailing for much more than the current S50 pricing

So while there are better nav units out there, offering more flexibility for navigation only the S series DOES offer reliability in navigation and excellent value at least (some of the unknown brands leave a lot to be desired on their navigation skills, in my experience!)
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: cheaper Reply with quote

it's even cheaper at http://www.mynewcheap.co.uk/products/gps-navigation/navman/navman-car-sat-nav/

just £110.99 incl. - amazing price
andymckenzie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought mine Thursday 27th March £99.99 incl next day delivery from Carphonewarehouse.com

http://shop.carphonewarehouse.com/accessories/navman/navmans50-silver/
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Pricing Reply with quote

Nice one andymckenzie

They are pushing them out before the new 2008 edition arrives next month...

Must represent the best value sat nav available at the moment, because whatever anyone else says, its navigation, vocal instruction and display are excelent and it has bluetooth too
go0ner1979
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, xtraseller. I've just started using the S50. I've loaded the pgpsw cameras, which I bought to update a TTG910 that my wife uses. I'd be grateful for some confirmation.

1) Is it correct that the Navman supplied cameras are directional? (this is really attractive as it bugs me to hell being alerted to cameras on the other side of the road (motorway)

2) Are updates to the camera Navman db available often, e.g. daily, weekly, monthly etc?

3) You mention a problem with the mobile cameras, do you mean they are not up to date or they cause performance issues?

4) A couple of times now the unit has rebooted itself for no apparent reason - is this the dreaded 12k limit coming into play.

Apologies if you've answered these questions elewhere, but it'll take me hours to trawl thru' previous pots and threads. Smile
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Navman Reply with quote

Quote:
1) Is it correct that the Navman supplied cameras are directional? (this is really attractive as it bugs me to hell being alerted to cameras on the other side of the road (motorway)

Yes the Navman database speed cameras are directiona, if you add other camera databases, there is no option to make these directional also. Thats one of their biggest plus points. That and they are speed sensitive so only inform you when necessary

Quote:
2) Are updates to the camera Navman db available often, e.g. daily, weekly, monthly etc?

Monthly. Or at least that is the plan. I've only had two updates since joining in October 2007, which I am not very happy with. Having said that it has never missed a FIXED camera, so cannot really complain...?!

Quote:
3) You mention a problem with the mobile cameras, do you mean they are not up to date or they cause performance issues?

Mobile - as in using the PGPSW database - and adding just the mobile ones - performance issues only because there are so many (ie. over the 12,000 Navman limit). Mobile - as in Navman database - listed as included, but never come across one notification for one, so cannot see how they are included, or if so not very comprehensive. Again, not come across a mobile camera since having the unit either...! Which is a first for six months daily driving!!!

Quote:
4) A couple of times now the unit has rebooted itself for no apparent reason - is this the dreaded 12k limit coming into play

No problem with mine UNLESS I have custom pois loaded and lots of them. So I guess so. Units work smoothly without added the pois. Take your choice...!
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go0ner1979 wrote:
A couple of times now the unit has rebooted itself for no apparent reason - is this the dreaded 12k limit coming into play.

How many POIs have you installed?
Did unit reboot while you were driving, during a reroute, when you were going through menus...?
Is your unit updated with the latest software?
go0ner1979
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xtraseller - thanx for the info

TheM -

Number of POIs? - Not sure exactly, but all the pgpsw cameras (I got a message stating I was going over the limit)

Reboot occurence?- during driving, suddenly when it went to display a camera

Latest Software? - Navdesk says my System is "up to date". When I turn on my unit it shows S50.V1.00.0020 on the boot screen.[/quote]
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

go0ner1979 wrote:
Number of POIs? - Not sure exactly, but all the pgpsw cameras (I got a message stating I was going over the limit)

So you installed all PGPSW cameras instead of just Mobile ones as Xtraseller suggested, right? Unfortunately, there's no easy way to remove all PGPSW cameras and start from scratch -- other than wiping your unit clean and restoring it to factory condition via NavDesk.

go0ner1979 wrote:
Reboot occurence?- during driving, suddenly when it went to display a camera

It crashed when it tried to display speed camera alert?

go0ner1979 wrote:
Latest Software? - Navdesk says my System is "up to date". When I turn on my unit it shows S50.V1.00.0020 on the boot screen.

That's the kernel version. Software version can be found in Preferences:About.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: