Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How to save a Coordinate as POI or Favorite
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How to save a Coordinate as POI or Favorite

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
feejo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: How to save a Coordinate as POI or Favorite Reply with quote

I save favorite by coordinates or when I am there, but when I try to find them back it say not availlable.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I understand how you are trying to "find them back".

But if you look on the "Browse map" page and tap the "Options" button, you can tick the "Coordinates" box.
Now you will always have the coordinates of the blue cursor position displayed at the bottom left of the "browse map" screen, so you can just "find" any Favourite or POI and read its coordinates off directly.

Another set-up option in Change Preferences/Set units will put the display into d.d˚ d˚m.m' or d˚m's" format, whichever you prefer...
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, you may have to give us a few more details, so we can help, But you have to save the favorite on the road, not in a field, or a car park etc, or the sat nav will not be able to work out a route to it.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaahhh.... you're not trying to find the coordinates back... you're finding you can't navigate to the actual favourite?
46jimbo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the coordinates are for a point that is off the road, the TomTom will have trouble navigating back to it.

So if it is, say, in the middle of a large parking lot, place you favourite at the road entrance, not in the middle of the lot!
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a favorite fishing spot near Stansted Airport.
The actual Farm is well out of the way and the nearest road is about quarter mile away from where you park for the lake, access is by a farm track where the farmer has built a small parking area.
First time i went i had great difficulty in finding it with the postcode.
When i did arrive i set the favorites by "my position" and changed the name to Fishing spot.
Everytime i return it takes me right back to the exact space i parked.
This is not a gazetted road it is a farmers field made into a parking area.
I guess i have been fortunate with this instance, for anyone who knows the area the farm in question is Rockells farm.
feejo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya I was in the parking lot Shocked so it can only work if I go in the street or if I click the street before. Ok I was surprised it din't get the parking lot. If I write on a piece of paper some coord. can he get me there even if it is off the road then?
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

feejo wrote:
Ya I was in the parking lot Shocked so it can only work if I go in the street or if I click the street before. Ok I was surprised it din't get the parking lot. If I write on a piece of paper some coord. can he get me there even if it is off the road then?

Not necessarily - for the reason why this is the case in the first place...

You see, if the place or point you are trying to get to, is "off-road", that is not located on a publicly listed, able to travel on, proper road (and of course seen as such by TomTom), then this is the problem.

So even co-ordinates may not help - let me explain by way of example.

Say you want to be directed to a point in a parking lot, that TomTom does not even see on it's Maps.

This parking lot has a road (try and picture this in your mind - or use my poor chart below) that you access it from, running left to right across your screen, and you just drive "down" from this road, to get into the car park.

Now remember, TomTom doesn't even know about this car park.

So you drive into the car park, and continue on to your favourite spot, further "down" (keep picturing this in your mind).

Problem is, there is ANOTHER road, that runs along the back of the parking lot, side to side, across your screen. And this actually runs closer to the place you have parked, even though there is NO access in or out onto that road.

Now, remembering that TomTom doesn't know about the car park, then, as the point you want is closer to the second road I described, in terms of its PROXIMITY to a valid road it CAN see on the map, then when routing you to where you want to be, TomTom would instead tell you to come in off the second road at the bottom - even though there is NO WAY to come in off this road.

And THIS mate, is why people are telling you to use the ENTRANCE to where you want to be, as the place to record. So that you DO get directed via the nearest correct road.

Correct road: *************************************
......................................................*
car par access in:...........................*
Point you want to record:..............X

Road nearby, ****************H********************
with NO access
to Car Park etc

Now bearing in mind TomTom doesn't know anything about the road into the car park, if you record your ideal spot, Point X above, then as you can see from my very crummy chart, in actual fact, the point marked H will be the nearest proper point TomTom DOES know about, and thus will take you THAT way to try and get you where you want to be.

So ALWAYS record the ENTRY point to car parks, malls, Motorway Service Stations, etc etc - the idea being, you are recording where TomTom CAN get you to, not where it actually is, but might not be known on the map.

Hope this poor diagram and example makes sense.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The behaviour depends how far off the navigable road you are...

A week or so ago, I did a couple of experiments:

I saved a Favourite and a POI both about 200yds off any road. Tried to navigate to them, and it successfully plotted a course to the closest point it could find on a road in BOTH cases.

I then browsed the map to a completely remote part of Scotland and tried to repeat the test. This time I wasn't even allowed to store the position as a Favourite (the option was greyed-out on the menu), and although I could save it as a POI, the TT would not navigate to it ("no useable locations near cursor" message on-screen).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: