Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - thinking of moving from tomtom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

thinking of moving from tomtom

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: thinking of moving from tomtom Reply with quote

Really looking for views and opinions:

I have a tytn II with tomtom nav 6.03 anf a ONE v2 - plus 2 cars.

Has anyone made the switch and if so whats it like in daily use - I need traffic and european maps and speed camera alerts - also how upto date are the maps (my prinicipal reason for an upgrade is my tomtom maps are now 2 years old).

What I want to know is, is it worth the bother of £150 of software - UK and Ireland plus traffic plus WE when I could buy a tomtom 720 with TMC traffic for little more (I'm back using the pda as the ONE won't talk to wm6 devices)

May wait for a 930t (only if the HD traffic service is avalable in the uk) but would relly like to return to one device only.....

thanks for any insights.
MrGumby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Why spend the money? Reply with quote

TT vs CPL seems to be swings vs. roundabouts. Unless you're unhappy with TT for some reason or need a particular CPL feature, why spend money on CPL?

I've tried CPL7 on an Orbit 2 and TT Nav 6 on an Orbit 1. CPL has an attractive interface and some great features, but routing in TT seems better and speedcams are more flexibly handled - probably the two most important aspects, for most people). TT bugs are well sorted by now, too, but CPL7 is buggy, judging by comments here.
MortalWombat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Just made the switch Reply with quote

I have been long time TT customer. However, I find their activation procedure to be totally ridiculous. I am a heavy mobile phone user and get new phones and devices sent through very often. I recently have been using an HTC Tytn II device, but the USB port died on me, so Orange sent out a replacement device with no paperwork. Trying to get the device code changed with TomTom was such a P in the A that I thought I would just jump boat (also, my maps were getting a little old).

The activation procedure for CoPilot makes so much more sense. you are still limited to using the software on 1 device at any time, but you can de-activate then re-activate on a new device as often as is needed.

Anyway, setup went without problem. The CoPilot Central software (on your PC) will require a patch in order to work properly (see this forum for the download URL) and also there is an update for the CoPilot application itself on your device (again, search the forum for this). So, while there were a few bugs, they seem to all be addressed with the latest patches.

My maps are more up to date than I had with TomTom too, (think I had v6.75 maps on TT, can't remember exactly). The application itself is a joy to use.

Although I have not done a real thorough test as I have only had it a couple of days, I am impressed so far.

TT are not going to be continuing to support Windows Mobile devices, so there will be no update to your TT software for your pda.

All in all, I am glad to be rid of TomTom as they have been a nightmare company to deal with.

Hope this helps.

MW
MrGumby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, MW - very helpful.

Couldn't agree more about TT activation. They make you feel like a criminal if you dare to buy a new phone or want to give (let alone sell) your s/w to someone else. I swore, last time, that I'd never buy another TT product. But...

So far, I'm finding CP7 less intuitive than TT and the menus slower. It also has some really irritating minor failings (although I may be mistaken about some of these, maybe I just haven't tried hard enough), e.g. it annoys me beyond reason that there's no shift key on the keyboard (it wrongly thinks it knows whether upper or lower case is required) and there's no ampersand. As for the way they are trying to Americanise me by imposing lots of US English even though I've selected UK English...grrr! That's kind of insulting.

Oh, and although it correctly identifies my road (a road which has been here since the 1930s) when I type its postcode and is happy for me to set it up as 'home', all routing to/from 'home' is actually to/from a parallel road (only been there a few years) which is a couple of hundred yards away as the crow flies but best part of a mile and several turns away by road. There isn't even a pedestrian route between the roads, never has been. Most annoyingly, this was one of the reasons I gave up on CP6 a year ago. I reported the problem then, but it has not been fixed.

I've also plotted a number of routes known to me (using default settings) and often they make little sense, some of them are positively weird, whereas TT always plots the route I would use or a logical variation.

Thanks for the tip about the patches. I'll go find them.

Re phone vs dedicated device, give me a phone every time - the screen may be small, but it works fine for me as a satnav device and means I only have one device, a nice compact one, to remove from the car when I park.
laurie53
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the biggest annoyances for me with CP7 is having to set some of your preferences each time you switch on, rather than being able to set them as a default, e.g. volume level and driving view.

Tom Tom always starts just as I left it.

Laurie
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reponses so far.

i've long since given up with TT registration.... I own the software but now have a different approach to activation, this was as a result of 4 replacement handsets from Orange over a month late last year and tomtom wouldn't let me reactivate......

I've a month left on my traffic sub so now is the time to look for options.

Guess copliot would be worth a shot how old are maps?

I borrowed a garmin xt mobile sd card from a mate and found that terrible due to the interface so usability matters to me.

Ian
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"TT are not going to be continuing to support Windows Mobile devices, so there will be no update to your TT software for your pda"

And who said so ?
MrGumby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: TT activation Reply with quote

TT's approach to registration/activation positively encourages piracy. They're fools to themselves.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: