Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 720 hardware changes????
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

720 hardware changes????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cejsmith
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: 720 hardware changes???? Reply with quote

Quick question, does any one know if they have changed any of the hardware inside a 720 since it was introduced, or if all the problems have been solved by software updates?

The reason I ask is after picking up my bargin 720 I tried to put in the code for the free safety camera updates that cam in the box and the tomtom site said the promotion had ended.

I don't want to go though the problems with bluetooth etc that I ahd on the last one.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there's only a very long answer on this one and it won't answer the question anyway. I can't imagine they've done anything with the hardware, though.

I'd advise a minimum of two backup copies, using Windows Explorer BEFORE you do anything at all with it (probably if you're like me, before you do anything ELSE with it Embarassed ). Then go ahead with updates to the application and see how it goes. Some 720s work fine, some don't (reminds me to check my lottery ticket).

As for the cameras update, so many people here will be cringing at the very idea of someone wanting cameras from TT - we don't think much of them. Ours are so much better that we kind of automatically delete the TomTom ones from any new TT device and use ours instead. You could try getting onto TT via their website Support page, sending a scan of your receipt to prove you bought it in good faith in anticipation of getting a free update of their safety cameras but the code doesn't work.

You might also like to consider trying for an update to your map - TomTom introduced the Latest Map Guarantee with the x20 range of devise, meaning that you may be able to get a more up to date map than the one which came with your device (latest map is now v715). On TT Home click to update my GO and also there is under the Tools Menu item and entry "Use Latest Map Guarantee". I can't ell you whether these work, they didn't for me, so I had to pester TomTom to get a map upgrade. Thanks shademehr for reminding me.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Last edited by DennisN on Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
cejsmith
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fair enough, I was going to update with this sites speed camera database anyway.

I was just using the fact the offers didn't work to try and get a idea of age.But if there has been no hardware changes it doesn't matter. Lets hope I have a good one, I've updated everything on it( one one windows update and one tomtom) and it seems to work fine, but nobody has rung me yet to check the bluetooth.

Here hoping!!!!! Very Happy
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ring yourself from your home phone, or ring your home phone from the 720, then blow into the microphone. That's the way I used to change the phone speaker volume and it would give you an idea if it's working properly (not a lot of people ring me - I should get out and meet more! Crying or Very sad ).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN is the expert in faulty Tomtoms !!

After getting a faulty Tomtom 720 and suffering the red cross issue I suggest as DennisN has said make sure you back up in explorer rather than depend on tomtom home

Also the mistake I think I made was when disconnecting the device in Tomtom home I did not wait long enough !! I now wait until the tomtom says do you wish to connect to the computer again then I say no and then remove the device
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 720 hardware changes???? Reply with quote

cejsmith wrote:
Quick question, does any one know if they have changed any of the hardware inside a 720 since it was introduced, or if all the problems have been solved by software updates?

The reason I ask is after picking up my bargin 720 I tried to put in the code for the free safety camera updates that cam in the box and the tomtom site said the promotion had ended.

I don't want to go though the problems with bluetooth etc that I ahd on the last one.

Dennis's advice is pretty good advice, especially about the quality of the TT cameras compared to here.

Relevant info for your question though - TomTom no longer require the use of codes to receive TT Safety Cams, or for the Latest map Guarantee - these are now done via TomTom Home software.

When you connect your device to PC and run TomTom Home, you can then update Safety cams and Maps WITHOUT NEEDING a code.

As Dennis says, BACKUP first however.

I suspect that as you may not have realised all this, you also might not have realised you are entitled to a map update too if one exists, and the likelihood is, your device WILL have an old map, so if you update within 30 days, you will get a new map.

Just like the old grey van man states though, backup first, and don;t even bother with TT's cameras - they are naff. Stick to the ones from this site and you'll be much better off.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: