Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Anyone else disappointed with there Nuvi?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone else disappointed with there Nuvi?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Anyone else disappointed with there Nuvi? Reply with quote

Just bought a new Nuvi 760 to replace my M4, it has a few good points but lots of not so good.

Good Points...

Bluetooth Hands Free.
Built in Maps.

Nearly Good Points.

FM Modulator...

1, At first I thought this was great, I installed loads of songs on my SD card, I though that'll save me changing CD's, the trouble is the 760 Yaks to much and is always interruping the song, wouldn't be too bad if it just turned it down a bit but it stops it, then starts it again, so defeats the object and just bugs me.
So I have to use my CD player and so can't use the Modulator.

2, I can now download routes from Mapsource as opposed to just sending waypoints.
BUT, the problem is the latest maps I have on Mapsource are v9 NT
So when transfered to the nuvi sometimes they have to be recalculated to compensate for the different maps.
And it tends to take a bit longer than the Waypoint route.

Bad Points...

1, Can't turn off Auto Zoom (if you can please let me know)
I zoom in to the max and it always zooms out a couple of clicks Why?
fair enough on a motorway etc
But in the middle of a town where you need to zoom in it zooms out, another backward step.

2, On 3D mode the pointer lags behind far too much, you can be passing a road end and the pointer hasn't got to it yet.
I suppose it would pass when following a route (just) but when in a town with no route planned and your passing lots of streets, it's hard to know which one your passing.
So I go to 2D mode which is spoilt by the zoom problem in built up areas.

3, Wide screen, it's just a gimmick (along with most other features on the 760) as far as I'm concerned.
I read about how it's better for seeing more etc
yes thats true as long as you want to see more of where your not going, my M4 and 3600 beat it hands down with the PDA style vertical screen.

Maybe it's just me, maybe I'm used to the PDA style sat and was expecting too much from the Nuvi?

What do you think?

skes.
gbenquiries
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am new to the world of satnavs and the Nuvi 760, which I've been using for about 10 days now, is my first so I don't have anything to compare it with in practice.

However, thus far I am very pleased with it. The software/firmware all works ok - I've already updated the firmware, safety camera database and the POIs (the latter via this excellent site).

The FM transmitter seems to work very well though I have yet to take it on a long run. I too have used the mp3 player and though it does get interrupted by directions I kinda expected that anyway. I think it's fine for long runs on motorways and the like where directions are minimal but in town I probably wouldn't use the mp3 player if I am following a route. Not a problem for me since I didn't buy the 760 for its mp3 player functionality.

I also have noticed a lag in terms of the map versus physical location but, although it might be my imagination, I am sure that this is improving. I wonder whether it has anything to do with a new satnav acquiring more satellites over time thus improving its positioning.

I think the screen is excellent, it is very easy to use so usability is well thought out and and the traffic warnings do appear to work via the separate aerial ok and seem very impressive to me though, again, I've yet to try it out on a long journey and don't know how accurate these are. No doubt time will tell.

It's been a little suspect at a couple of junctions that it tells me are roundabouts but all in all I am well pleased at present Smile
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having used a Garmin i3 for a couple of years I'm getting 760 this week.

Regarding the "lag" issue can i ask couple of questions to both of you.

1) Did you let the unit get it's "initial fix" whilst stationary?

2) Do either of you have a car with an Anthermic windscreen? These are windscreens with heat reflective coatings. They often appear on Renaults and Peugeot's and have a strong blue tint when looked at from some angles.
skes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul

I just let it get a fix when ever it gets it usualy when i'm stood still.
I'll have to try a seperate antenna to see if it makes a difference.
Both my motors (car and camper) are renaults.

In my rants I forgot to mention a big disappointment, there's no speed readout when using a planned route.
I use that all the time when I'm abroad with Km reading.

skes
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Both my motors (car and camper) are renaults

These often have the Anthermic windscreen i mentioned above. It kills the signal of older units and i believe it may be responsible for the lag you experience in your vehicles with the modern more sensitive antenna. I'm sure I've seen another similar thread earlier this week...
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No route planned = position lag on the screen, with a route planned the device seems to behave much better, why this occurs is not known but quite a few site members have mentioned this, when asked they have confirmed the position lag is only when driving without a route planned - Mike
gbenquiries
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Having used a Garmin i3 for a couple of years I'm getting 760 this week.

Regarding the "lag" issue can i ask couple of questions to both of you.

1) Did you let the unit get it's "initial fix" whilst stationary?

2) Do either of you have a car with an Anthermic windscreen? These are windscreens with heat reflective coatings. They often appear on Renaults and Peugeot's and have a strong blue tint when looked at from some angles.

Paul,

In answer to your questions:

1. Although I live on mainland UK I collected my 760 from Jersey where my daughter lives and its initial fixes (when still) were gained there. Since then I have used it on the mainland and always wait for it to get a fix before moving off. As I say, I have convinced myself that it has definitely improved of late and the 'lag' has been demoted from a little worrying to just a tad irritating at times.

2. I drive a Toyota which, as far as I am aware, does not have the type of windscreen to which you refer.

I should say that the lag issue is not currently a major issue. I did discover that if you press the top left of the screen where the satellite strength indicator is you appear to get some sort of satellite fix readout - though I don't know what it all means. I think it is showing me a number of satellites and whether the 760 has gained a fix on them. Is that right? If so, earlier today I noticed 8 icons (satellites?) and, after a short while the 760 appeared to gain a fix on 7 of them. That seems pretty good to me.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
No route planned = position lag on the screen, with a route planned the device seems to behave much better, why this occurs is not known

Well presumably ...
the gps is only outputting position information once a second, so on average, what is being displayed on screen, is where you were 1/2 second a go?

When on a route, it 'knows' where you should be and can marry the two pieces of information together.

Or not. Very Happy
skes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike

The lag I talk about is when I'm using a planned route, not really tried it without yet
Normaly I dont use 3D I prefer 2D, but with the zoom problem I've been trying out 3D.

I also have iQue M4 (and 3600) and I have the same problem with that, I did find out though if I uninstall all the Poi it gets a lot better.
I wonder if I deletd them on the 760 it might improve it, maybe I'll give it a try later.

skes
crazyfingers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else disappointed with there Nuvi? Reply with quote

skes wrote:
J

Maybe it's just me, maybe I'm used to the PDA style sat and was expecting too much from the Nuvi?

What do you think?

skes.

I used to use the iQue (PDA type) and I agree that the Nuvi has fewer customization options. However I've learned how to get the most out of the Nuvi (750) and wouldn't go back to the iQue.

I had also gotten used to checking my speed on the iQue but I've re-learned that my car's speedometer works perfectly well.

What I do miss is the compass (pointer for North) while on a route.

As to the lag, I haven't noticed. As for 3D, I don't like 3D. I don't like the constantly changing scale. I prefer the 2D mode as that's how I'm used to looking at maps.

In terms of detail and zoom, I haven't had a problem. Have you turned the detail up to high?
eTrex Legend (Original)
A Magellan that got wet and died on a canoe trip in 02
wildduck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still using my old Medion Aldi PDA thing in one vehicle. The need for vehicle power is a nuisance, but it talks me to where I want to go pretty reliably and smoothly.
Compared with it, the Nuvi 300 seems pretty mediocre. I seem to need to look at the screen so much more than the 'hardly ever' of the Medion. I find looking at the screen for anything but, perhaps, speed potentially dangerous.

Round here we are blessed with some double roundabouts, and the Medion anticipates the second of these and gives clear directions through them. The Nuvi doesn't seem to see the second roundabout and give the resulting directions until far too late. This seems to me like a fundamental programming error.

As delivered, the Garmin with its often inaudible bongs for cameras seemed to me to be badly thought out. Maybe it's me, though!

I have to say that I have found choosing a GPS was much more difficult than I expected. This site is fine, but overwhelmed me with information, and I've found it to be really useful only after buying the device. I didn't find any clear list of things to look out for and comparison of the basic functions anywhere. Just lots of salesmen.
skes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

In terms of detail and zoom, I haven't had a problem. Have you turned the detail up to high?

Never messed with the detail settings yet, but the auto zoom really bugs me.
I too prefer 2D, I'd use it all the time if wasn't for the zoom problem.
If your out of town then I can live with the zoom, but it's when your in town and it zooms out you just get a jumble of streets.

I noticed the other day that when coming up to a turn it will let you zoom right in but then after it zooms out.
But you cant keep messing about trying to zoom in and out.
Why does it insist on zooming out, I reckon it's to hide the inadequacy of the widescreen setup, to make it look like you see more.

Maybe they'll alter the zoom in a future firmware upgrade, fingers crossed.

I suppose I can live without the speed readout, but it was nice when in Europe to set it to kph, instead of converting it in my head or trying to read the little kph on my speedo.

skes
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post a couple of screen shots showing the levels of zoom you experience? 1 showing what you want and one showing what you get.
skes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can you post a couple of screen shots showing the levels of zoom you experience? 1 showing what you want and one showing what you get.

If I knew how Smile
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be one of the options in the display set up.

You set it up to do a screen capture, get the screen ready then press/release the power switch - it takes a screen shot to its memory.

The only problem with this is that you have to reset it after each use, that is once it's taken a shot you need to set it up to do another. It would be nice to make it more permanent.

Copy the captures (they are JPEG) to a web-site and put the URL into a post here (using the Img button) and the images will appear.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: