Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 520 advice sought....
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 520 advice sought....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajorClanger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: TomTom 520 advice sought.... Reply with quote

Hello Very Happy

I've decided to upgrade my current SatNav solution (iPAQ and TomTom v5) and was quite taken with the functionality and features of the TomTom520 - especially at the price it can be found for at the moment on the web (don't know if I'm allowed to mention vendors sites here so I won't - but it can be found for £159 in the promotion with the £10 iTunes voucher and iPod cable....). However, before I order and consign my iPAQ and Holux 236 to e-Bay - I wonder if anyone could help me with the answer to a couple of questions?

1. I like the idea of the "text-to-speech" function which will (I assume) tell me the road I'm turning on to rather than just "left" or "right". How good is this - relatively well spoken english or a bit like having a darlek in the passneger seat?

2. I see that TomTom have announced a new version of all it's GO products - will there be a retrospective upgrade of the 520 available or should I bide my time until the latest version comes out?

3. Finally - is there any way I can utilise my Maps of Western Europe from TomTom 5 with this unit (guessing that the answer is "no" but it doesn't hurt to ask....)

Thanks in advance for any help and apologies for the longwinded post ;-)

Kind regards

MC
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom 520 advice sought.... Reply with quote

MajorClanger wrote:
1. I like the idea of the "text-to-speech" function which will (I assume) tell me the road I'm turning on to rather than just "left" or "right". How good is this - relatively well spoken english or a bit like having a darlek in the passneger seat?
Yes it will speak the road names out and in use it is very good, it quite well spoken and easy to listen to.

MajorClanger wrote:
2. I see that TomTom have announced a new version of all it's GO products - will there be a retrospective upgrade of the 520 available or should I bide my time until the latest version comes out?
The newer features of the x30 devices will probably filter down to the earlier models over time, the length of time is unknown though, it will also require the purchace of a new map in order to use the new features.

MajorClanger wrote:
3. Finally - is there any way I can utilise my Maps of Western Europe from TomTom 5 with this unit (guessing that the answer is "no" but it doesn't hurt to ask....)
Your guess was a good one Very Happy if you want the Europe maps look at getting the 720 instead, it is much more cost effective to purchace the device with the maps pre-installed - Mike
MajorClanger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike

Thanks a million for such a quick reply :D

Kind regards

MC
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To use the text to speech feature you have to use a computer generated voice although they are not as clear as Jane or Tim they are acceptable.

I think you may be able to download other computer generated voices i have no idea what they are like
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a video demo of the Go720 on You-Tube that shows the UK female voice Text to Speech working (listen about 2 minutes in).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzxm9pZPIok

I think they are better than "acceptable" Smile
Johnny_D
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy's Right - They are a lot more than just acceptable.

Road name reading is excellent and the voice is clear and not robotic at all.

Sometimes the pronunciation of names is a little comical - but all it should do it bring a smile to one's face!

JD
Bloody Superb PGPSW Camera Database.
Not much else!
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Major Clanger...

Have pm'd you a link to a comparison site for satnav prices (not like KK or PRunner etc - this one is specific for low priced sat navs and includes discount codes for vendors too).

Have a look, and you will see how cheap the 720 can be had for - not too much more than the 520 you refer to, but comes with Europe Mpas and more storage etc.

HTH.
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny_D wrote:
Andy's Right - They are a lot more than just acceptable.

Road name reading is excellent and the voice is clear and not robotic at all.

Sometimes the pronunciation of names is a little comical - but all it should do it bring a smile to one's face!

JD

It must just be my ears or my sat nav then ???
I don't find it as clear as Jane
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

john877 wrote:

Ahh.... now I never said it was!
Only that it's pretty good (and really bl**dy clever if you're old enough to remember the dalek voices of only a few years ago).
A "real" voice will beat it hands down for naturalness, but of course you don't get the roads spelt out with real voices.

Have to admit, I often have to shout at the TT to shut up when I'm using a computer voice. He does 'go on a bit' sometimes! Laughing
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
john877 wrote:

Ahh.... now I never said it was!
Only that it's pretty good (and really bl**dy clever if you're old enough to remember the dalek voices of only a few years ago).
A "real" voice will beat it hands down for naturalness, but of course you don't get the roads spelt out with real voices.

Have to admit, I often have to shout at the TT to shut up when I'm using a computer voice. He does 'go on a bit' sometimes! Laughing

Yes I do!!! I also remember the cybermen as well Smile !!! I think that was my main point its okay but Jane is slightly better !!!Thumbs Up
MajorClanger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone above for your help Smile

Having seen the demo on uTube I think the text to speech is very good (certainly better than what Excel produces when you force it to "read"!)

However, having read up more on the 530/730 features I'm thinking it may be better to wait a couple of weeks (as they're supposed to be launched in April?) to see what the price of the "latest gadget" will be (any ideas?). Presumably even if the 530/730 are hugely expensive the fact that the 520/720 will then be "last years models" will bring their price down even further....?

Thanks again,

MC
MajorClanger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.... although, having just read the thread about the price of the 720 in Comet it does seem too good a bargain to miss (plus, of course, there's the benefit of having a new gadget to play with sooner rather than later Smile .

I assume that at some point in the future the operating system of the x20's will be updated to the same software as the x30's - is this the case? If so - any idea (based on past experience) of how soon it will be upgraded. If there is an upgrade then I guess you'll also be able to buy the updated maps with lane assist and the new routing stuff - or is that incorrect?

Apols for more questions and thanks in advance for all help and guidance :D

Cheers

MC

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: