Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigon 7110/8110
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigon 7110/8110
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris_ah1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Navigon 7110/8110 Reply with quote

Does the current Navigon 7110 (and upcoming 8110) work with the Pocketgpsworld speed camera database? I don't think so since there is no mention of it on the compatability lists.

The new 8**** series seems to be very nice - bigger screen (shame about 480res), nice lane assist, uncluttered view, BT, TMC, TTS etc. etc.

Also, one other question - pictures of the navigon software don't show many road names/labels and I don't think it has a very high contrast for roads vs background - so - can you add road names in options? can you change colour schemes?
I'll give the manual a read, but a quick answer here would be appreciated.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can get them working on the older version with something called POI Warner which loads with the software (Google it) The software isn't just for Navigon but can be loaded on TomTom and others and I think it gives added benefits.
I'm very much like you at the moment in that I'm so tempted to Pre Order the 8110 as it looks so nice and would make a good replacement for my ViaMichelin x980t.

I know the new TomTom's are going to have Lane Assist and Reality View (not sure what Navigon think to this as the Reality View looks to be lifted straight from the Navigon') but I prefer the UI of the map... both TomTom and Garmin look very basic and cartoon like.
I'd love to see some videos posted of the 8110 in use as I'd love to see how the View3D works, it's hard to get a feel for it from the stills.

I know I have read other reviews which said the Navigon 8110's were so popular it was impossible to get to see the demo units in use so it seems that they have created quite a bit of interest.
chris_ah1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, nice quick reply - thanks.

RE poi-warner - yep, spotted that on a 7110 reivew - it seems that the current units have a low memory problem. I think the 8*** has more so unless there is a big memory leak problem that should be fine. Shame it isn't directional (one bonus of Mio c620)

Yes, I actually was very sceptical of the cartoony garmin until I used one....I hate to say it but it is incredibly legible. I have even seen some garmins in cars next to me and could read the screen clearly (i could see the upcoming road and the roads nearby on a 3.5" model too! although road name labels were sparse)

I hate the tomtom tbh - the map view I don't appreciate, the horizon bending illegibly (garmin much better here, so too is mio because you can set it from 2d to 3d in steps), the colours (although I haven't had time to fiddle with demo units to see all options), I hate the zooming and panning performance above all.

My top needs:
road labels around - I don't always use it with a route inputted but want to know where i am (being a new driver).
TTS (again, for location awareness).
Nice legible screen and contrast.
Bluetooth+mic of decent quality as i don't want seperates.

You are right though - I WANT DEMO UNITS - WAAAA

Peterjones has the navman, Tomtom, sony and something else i've forgotten units on display..........Most crash and are inoperable after a week or two on display :S
I really want to demo the nuvi5000 (notout), navigon 8110 (notout), Mioc620 and nuvi 760(again) but there is nowhere that really obliges. Guess i could use returns policies and pay the postal charges Sad
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was very tempted with a Mio until I noticed that they are dropping the software which looks really nice and going with Navman. Having owned 2 Navman's which were good I hated the support and the 'fix' to bugs. Navman always promised fixes to the software but never kept the promise and replaced the units with new models.

My dad also gave up ever getting Navman to unlock the USA maps for the 530 as although the stated 500 series on the DVD they claimed with was incompatible but offered no solution... i.e. a copy of USA maps for the 530?

I do think Mio are making a wrong move by using the Navman software!!!

Back off my Navman rant.... I want a 8110 Laughing Out Loud Razz I do wish GPS websites would show videos of units in use.

As for the POI Warner I would imagine new software would be needed for the 8110 with it having new software itself. Maybe someone on here can clarify if the new software allows for custom POI files?

I'm hoping more info from CeBit is yet to be posted
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found some more images here. http://www.engadget.com/photos/hands-on-with-navigons-new-8110-and-2100-max-gps-units/677341/
chris_ah1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good find!
Sadly I'm not liking the elevation maps at all. Hopefully they can be disabled along with 3d stuff as on the mio (too gimmicky and reduce legibility). I also hope the colours can be modded - but blue for motorways is good :p

yep, no worries on the navman rant - it's upset me too that they went with substandard software. At the peter jones display of satnavs the navmans break more often than the tomtoms apparently (albeit less than the sony units!).

I'm going to go a bit off topic too now.
Price is going to be a big downer on the navigon though:
s90i - £170 (problem device - no directional info)
garmin 760 - £225 (a bit slow, weedy speaker, no directional info)
mio c620T - £300 (fast and directional info but expensive and being dropped)
Navigon - £350 estimated. (reality view, free map updates for 2 years, no directional info either Sad )

I think i mgiht just plump for garmin and use the cash saved on map updates until I get a new unit.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_ah1 wrote:
good find!
Sadly I'm not liking the elevation maps at all. Hopefully they can be disabled along with 3d stuff as on the mio (too gimmicky and reduce legibility). I also hope the colours can be modded - but blue for motorways is good :p

yep, no worries on the navman rant - it's upset me too that they went with substandard software. At the peter jones display of satnavs the navmans break more often than the tomtoms apparently (albeit less than the sony units!).

I'm going to go a bit off topic too now.
Price is going to be a big downer on the navigon though:
s90i - £170 (problem device - no directional info)
garmin 760 - £225 (a bit slow, weedy speaker, no directional info)
mio c620T - £300 (fast and directional info but expensive and being dropped)
Navigon - £350 estimated. (reality view, free map updates for 2 years, no directional info either Sad )

I think i mgiht just plump for garmin and use the cash saved on map updates until I get a new unit.

I'm sure the 3d view can be disabled, they showed the devices back in feb with it turned off.
How it could be useful is plotting routes and previewing as it would give a better idea of the route and if it would be suitable. i.e. One route could take you over a huge hill (not caravan friendly) and another would take you round the hill. On a flat map you wouldn't know that information until you had already reached the bottom of the hill.

I did think £350 is steep but factor in at least £150 for map updates and the price seems far more reasonable.

What do you mean by 'no directional info' ?
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looked at the USA site and this has some demos of the 7100 model.

http://www.experiencenavigon.com/ Take a look at the Lifetime Traffic demo video, it definately looks to have street names marked on the map. Maybe the names were removed from the stills to look 'cleaner'

I can't see why the USA models would feature street names on the map and not the European version.

Maybe this is the site to keep an eye on for demo's of the 8110.
chris_ah1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, I hadn't thought of the requirement for planning with a caravan!!! I only have a car.

I'm not sure about the value in the map updates. I'm the type to buy map updates once a year or so. Although for our in-car satnav in my dad's car we never bothered updating it and we never noticed a problem except for some one way streets back in 2001 - (but back then the nav system didn't have road directional info so updates wouldn't have made a difference!!!)

Frankly I really wish I could get a cheap unit - but I don't want clutter of extra bluetooth stuff.

I was thinking about directional info on the PGPSW database - it is directional for Mio and igo. not tomtom, poiwarner or garmin.

Demoed another TT 520 and 720 today. The 520 had a shocking amount of interface bugs with the touchscreen, but the 720 was silky and fast once I stopped it from showing POIs. I'm so confused because the 720 seemed like a device i could live with when using it as a map device (rather than satnav) since redraws were faster than I've seen before. They were the fifth and sixth tomtom *20s I've demoed Sad

No matter how many units I demo - even of the same type - they all have different quirks.

ty for the link btw - very nice demo.

Does POI warner slow down the navigons or Tomtoms?
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_ah1 wrote:

I'm not sure about the value in the map updates. I'm the type to buy map updates once a year or so. Although for our in-car satnav in my dad's car we never bothered updating it and we never noticed a problem except for some one way streets back in 2001 - (but back then the nav system didn't have road directional info so updates wouldn't have made a difference!!!)

No matter how many units I demo - even of the same type - they all have different quirks.

ty for the link btw - very nice demo.

Does POI warner slow down the navigons or Tomtoms?

Where I live Derby has undergone some MAJOR road changes so the map updates are useful to me, it's not unusual for roads around Derby to change direction or suddenly become bus only lanes (we often joke that kids must design roads around Derby).

I have yet to find a GPS unit that is 'perfect' in every way. Everyone is different and have different requirements, so getting a unit to cover everyone's wants is going to be hard for any company I suppose.
Bluetooth and handsfree is OK, all be it now your not allowed to use it?? I personally I don't see the point of MP3 and picture playback. I just want a GPS device.
chris_ah1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, yeah - unlucky with the road system. Sadly I think that even with updates these companies are generally woefully behind even with the latest releases. I have no confidence in navteq or teleatlas to be responsive to road changes. I do prefer navteq though.

Yeah, I'm not really holding out for a perfect one. just one that does GPS position mapping nicely and legibly (i.e. mostly without routes), lets me look through a map as if it were paper (quick redraws+refreshes) and handles bluetooth handsfree.
That's it - I want too much probably. But I would ditch the routing features just to get the above working well.

I'm used to boat gpses. I don't necessarily pay much attention to the route, but definitely want to know where I am and what is around me (nearby roads and speed cams) more than anything media player wise. sod that faff. I don't want to die whilst watching reruns of scrubs on my DVB-H satnav.

I'm just a touch weird I think. Lots of horror stories on here in general about all satnavs. Not to mention such variability between physical units of the same model I've tried. It's all a headache - one which stops me from actually buying anything. I haven't got lost in London yet even if i do ten wrong turns I eventually get where I want to be. Only other place I go to is Oxford and I even know where the speedcams are without warnings :S

I'm just a boring driver - I leave the new places to my Dad.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have found a couple of videos from cebit here

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/tag/+8110/search/gpsandco unfortunately have not yet found anything in english
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure if it's of any interest / use but I have found these options listed in the US version of the 7110, so I would think the options in the 8110 would be similar if not more;

Basic settings
These settings include:

Speak Street Names Indicate whether street names are spoken during
navigation.

Reality View Indicate whether Reality View displays a visual
representation of an approaching junction. Highway
signs and the lane to be used are indicated.
(This feature is dependent on the selected map
and may not be available in all areas.)

2D Zoom Factor Indicate how auto-zoom behaves by default when
a 2D view mode is selected. The zoom changes,
based on speed. When driving slower, the map
scale gets smaller. When driving faster, the map
scale gets larger. Options are no automatic zoom,
smaller or larger map sections, or standard.

3D Map:Show Street Names Indicate whether to show street names on maps
displayed in 3D view mode.

2D Map:Show Street Names Indicate whether to show street names on maps
displayed in 2D view mode.

2D Map Orientation Indicate the orientation of maps shown in 2D map
view mode. Options are: Direction of Travel (the
direction you are driving is always at the top of the
map), or Always North (magnetic North is always
at the top of the map).

Show Altitude and Speed Show or hide the altitude and current speed on a
displayed map.

Display Compass Show or hide a small compass on screen during
navigation.

Show Remaining Distance Show or hide the distance remaining to the destination
or an interim destination, if applicable.

Show Duration of Journey Show or hide the travel time remaining to the destination

Show Time of Arrival Show or hide the time of arrival at the destination

Info When Crossing Borders Show or hide local speed restrictions when crossing
a country border.

Show Speed Limits Select whether to show highway speed limits.
Options are always, only when exceeding the
speed limit, or never.

Warnings Within Urban Areas Indicate whether a warning displays when exceeding
the speed limit in densely populated areas.
Options are to never warn, or to display a warning
when 5, 10, 15 or 20 mph over the stated speed
limit.

Warnings Outside of Urban Areas Indicate whether a warning displays when exceeding
the speed limit in less densely populated or
rural areas. Options are to never warn, or to display
a warning when 5, 10, 15 or 20 mph over the
posted speed limit.

Warn Against Certain Speed Limits Show or hide speed limit restrictions in force during
special situations, such as rain, snow, time of
day restrictions, etc.

Menu Animation Indicate whether the opening of menus is animated.
Distance Unit Indicate the distance unit to be used, either Miles
or Kilometers.

Time Format Indicate how times are displayed, either a 12 hour
format (with am and pm), or a 24 hour format.

Coordinates Display Show or hide coordinates.
Coordinate Format If coordinates are shown, indicate whether they
display in decimal format or in minutes and seconds
format.

Brightness Day Indicate the display brightness for use during the
daytime. Options are from 1 (less bright) to 8 (most
bright).

Brightness Night Indicate the display brightness for use at night.
Options are from 1 (less bright) to 8 (most bright).

Speed-Dependent Volume Indicate whether you want the volume level to
increase when your speed increases. Options are
never, yes with a low amplification, or yes with a
high amplification.
EddyDC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bear in mind that the US version is (much) different from the EU version. A good example: 7110 US has TTS, 7110 EU has not

jonandmarkuk wrote:
not sure if it's of any interest / use but I have found these options listed in the US version of the 7110, so I would think the options in the 8110 would be similar if not more;
chris_ah1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, that's good info. Lot's of nice configuration options. I'm in no rush so I'll wait and see if I can demo one of these units soon. It won't be the killer device, but it is a step in the right direction.

vids are great, thankfully the french is easy to understand.

it does look a little laggy - but i guess that's because of the recalculation - not sure why they did that in a demo - not very flattering.

it's a shame they waste so much vertical room with all the information displays too. I know I'm over critical, but still. Love the distance countdown arrow :p

and it's navteq - phew.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: