Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - do not understand this system
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

do not understand this system

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elizabeth07
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: do not understand this system Reply with quote

I have a Tom Tom Go 700.

have not updated it for a long time. managed to download the new tom tom Home software. but the Tom Tom is telling me the map is out of date.
Do I have to buy a new set of maps. I tried to be involved with Map Share but my version No 7.162 does not support it. Any suggestions please.
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you do not have to update your maps it really is down to you !!
Regarding map share unless you have some of the most recent maps map share will not work for you!! by downloading the latest maps it will then enable you to participate in map share .

I am sure other people will post and tell you what versions of maps will work
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, TomTom bring out new maps every 12 months or whatever, so it is posible your map is out of date, ie, there are new roads etc on the new maps that aren't on the old one, but people have bought new maps, and say , the new by-pass or whatever, that has been there for 3 years is not on the new map, so, even new maps may not be up to date. If you use your TomTom a lot, and feel you need to buy new maps, do so, otherwise it won't hurt to continue to use the old ones. To use map share, you will need to buy a new map, but personally, I use my TomTom once or twice a month, I don't have map share, and I have the original map, and it has never let me down, so I'm sticking with my old map for now.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What map version have you got installed, press the sat strength meter then press the box that says version, on the next screen will be a map version number (v650) or similar, for map share to work you need v675 or newer.
The current latest map is v715 - Mike
elizabeth07
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
What map version have you got installed, press the sat strength meter then press the box that says version, on the next screen will be a map version number (v650) or similar, for map share to work you need v675 or newer.
The current latest map is v715 - Mike

Hi Mike thank you for your reply

My mapversion is V660.1219. Can I update my map for a newer version or do I stick with what I have got.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to use MapShare and have the latest in terms of available maps then you do indeed need to upgrade to the newer version.

v660 is a great map release though and contains far better detail/ definition in my opinion than the versions that replace it, the later releases have degraded the map in terms of detail to ensure the file set will fit on the allocated memory card/ internal flash memory on the more recent devices.
That said the v660 is out of date, we have seen, v675, v705, v710 and now v715 since the release of the map you are running, the choice is yours, upgrade at a cost (or wait for another discount by TomTom to grab the map at a bargain price - who knows when or if this happen in the next few weeks?)
Current costs are £39:95 for a UK+ROI Map or £79:95 for the full Western Europe map - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: