Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom crashing after camera download
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom crashing after camera download

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CraigyTT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom crashing after camera download Reply with quote

Hi folks,

Wonder if anyone can shed any light on this, or provide any suggestions.

Following my question here I joined up, then downloaded the PGPSW camera database, and then downloaded the new database that came out yesterday. In addition, I downloaded the voice alerts too.

All seemed well, and it all seemed to install okay on my TT, however when testing it (either in the car, or by running a demo route in the TT unit), the unit crashes / re boots itself on approach to any camera????

Anyone got any advice / suggestions as what may be the issue, or what I may have done wrong?

The unit itself is a TOM TOM Go 300, which is just under three years old, and is running v 5.440 of the TT software, and other than the issue above is in good working order.

I guess I could reinstall everything, or try and see if I can get an update to the TT software, however just wondered if anyone had more experience of this than me, and may be able to offer suggestions or advice?

Many thanks in advance

Craig
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very old software version, TomTom have moved on through v6 with v7 being the current release. Even so it shouldn't cause these issues.

We need to narrow down the issue here, what version of the database did you download, do you have any other POIs installed and was it working before you updated?
CraigyTT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Sorry, I knew I would have probs missed out some info you would need.

It was version 6.023 that I downloaded yesterday, and from the choice of drop down sat nav systems I selected Tom Tom Ov2, then UK Speed Zoned complete.

I had initially downloaded a version when I joined up a few days ago, sorry I dont know that exact version number, and it seemed to work, although I had not tested it live (ie I had only run through the demo route as someone had suggested I do) and that seemed okay, Today was the first time I tried it for real in the car, using the downloaded database from yesterday, and thats when it started to re boot on approach to cameras, and then I checked the demo route, and it did the same too.

I dont have any other POI's on the unit, other than the lists that came with it when I first got it.

The memory card in the tom tom is almost at 100% full, and as it's the original memory card that came witht he unti I'm not sure if that may be the cause, maybe I need to get a new bigger memory card?

Thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a larger card as it is best to have at least 3 or 4 MB spare space, you could free up some space on the device by removing the non English voice files if you want to try this - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, can you take a full backup of the card if you haven't already done so. Then can you tell me what size the card is and how much free space is remaining on it? We may be able to free some space by removing unneeded voice files.
CraigyTT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The card size is 1.19Mb, and it shows only 1MB as being free, with the rest being used.

It doesnt have any voices on it other than the uk ones, however I guess I could remove the voice downloads for the camera database,as these might be using space, or maybe buy a bigger card.

I didnt realise TT were now up at v7 of their software, maybe I could buy that version, if my v5 is old, which I guess it it, as the unit is 3 years old.

Thanks
CraigyTT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I'm being thick today - its 119mb card, with only 1mb free

sorry
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The update to v7 is free of charge, you won't get access to all the features unless you buy an updated v7 map though. You simply install HOME on your PC and connect your GO, it should then prompt you that an update is available. Make sure you have a backup first though!

Memory Cards are so cheap these days that I would advise you get a larger one as this is very likely at the root of your problems. Removing the .ogg file voice alerts will stop the problem until you get a bigger card. Just use the built-in bongs for now?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, definitely sounds like the SD card is too full.
Get a new one, 1-2 GB should be plenty (don't go bigger without advice) "high speed" (any "known brand" should be OK these days, avoid eBay cheapies).

Copy everything from the old card to it and it should all work. See the FAQs in the TomTom section for a "How to..."

Also, once you are up and running, you might want to update the software again. As you were so far behind, it needs to update itself in stages. That's why it only offered you v6 this time. Eventually you should be able to get upto v7.
CraigyTT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: You guys are stars! Reply with quote

Darren / Andy,

What can I say - other than a big thanks!

Just deleted the ogg files, and this has freed up space on the card, and now run the demo route again, and it works a treat!

It picked up all the cams between my place and an address a couple of miles away - without any sign of crashing or rebooting, it works a treat!

Sincere thanks for your advice and suggestions, I wasnt sure what I had down wrong, although I suspected the card did look almost 100% full, but I'm not clued up enough to know if that was the problem, however you guys are, as I followed your advice and it's all sorted!

The bongs are fine for the time being, and I will buy a bigger card over the weekend, as well as look into getting my software updated from the v5 that I've got - I suspect this may involve 1001 emails to tom tom as I'm bound to mess that bit up!

Cheers again for the fab and sound advice, it's very much appreciated.

The subscription fee is well worth it for that advice on it's own, let alone the support that come with it - nice one!

Cheers

Craig
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morrison's had some sandisk 2gb cards for £7-49 I do not know if they still have any left or what the speed was but I used them in a digital camera to video something and they wrote to the card okay !!!

If they are not on show ask as they do not always display them !! At that price it may be worth taking a chance if it does not work use it in a camera or the like
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play.com have 2Gb ones for £5.99 with free delivery at the moment, see here.
CraigyTT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers again for all the advice - was passing a maplin today, so stopped in the there and picked up an new bigger sd card.

Now swapped all the info across to the new card, and it works a treat, including when I add in all the voice alerts too.

the unit happily runs through demo routes picking up all the cams I know are there, so I'm well chuffed.

thanks again.

Craig
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent news, glad to hear its all working properly now.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: