Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT Traffic & GPRS connection problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT Traffic & GPRS connection problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: TT Traffic & GPRS connection problems Reply with quote

Hi, don't know if I am being thick here or if something is amiss Confused

I have decided to give TT Traffic a go with my new smartphone via GPRS and also a recently purchased Go 720.

Good news - even though the phone a HTC TyTn II (a.k.a. Vodafone V1615) is not listed as being compatable I can pair it using Bluetooth with my 720 and use it for calls. The phone is also capable of receiving GPRS since it uses this for e-mail etc. I have made sure the phone can be 'seen' by the 720 and that there is a GPRS connection( I think).

Bad news - When trying to set up TT Traffic (or anything TT Plus) I am getting a message that the 'Feature is not supported' and so it won't let me adjust any settings.

I have not yet subscribed to TT Plus because I thought this came with a months free trial since other threads seem to suggest that. Equally I would prefer not to subscribe to it until I know that it will work with my phone so I have a bit of a chicken and egg situation here.

I have got 'wireless data enabled' on both the phone and satnav - though I am not sure if this is necessary if I am paired via Bluetooth.

Can anybody suggest anything here please - I am assuming that since I can pair my GPRS enabled phone with the satnav via Bluetooth that everything else should work

Am I missing something?

Postscript: I have now changed some settings on the phone and definitely have a GPRS connection to the 720. However I still cannot receive the traffic or Plus services.

I called TT support and they have suggested that despite the phone pairing through bluetooth and despite the fact that I can make a GPRS connection the fact that I am receiving a 'feature not supported' message suggests that the TyTnII does not work with their Traffic feature - does this make sense? Surely if there is a GPRS connection it should be able to transmit data??
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What network are you on?

Contract or Pay-as-you-go?

Some networks don't allow access to tomtoms traffic server.

For testing purposes without subscribing to traffic try tomtoms weather forecast, if one works the other should.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the phone running WM6 as the OS? if it is there is a CAB file to install the DUN profile to your device located Here for some stupid reason Microsoft seem to have removed the DUN profile and replaced it with PAN, the TomTom requires DUN for the data connection - Mike
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, Yes, it's running WM6 so this may be the problem.

However when I try and access the file it tells me that I don't have the correct permissions to open it.

Can you please provide a little more guidance for how I can replace the file on my phone, I am not sure where I should be looking for this. I guess I need to open the mobile device via Windows Explorer and find the PAN file in a directory somewhere, delete one and then paste the other?

I am assuming this wouldn't mess up anything else?

In response to pacoulte - Vodafone; monthly; no, none of the services work
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click the link in my previous post, that will take you to a specific page on XDA Dev, download to your PC the file that is attached to the single post on XDA dev.
Unzip the download ONCE to produce a file called WM6_BT_DUN.cab you need to copy this to the phone.
With the file on the phone use file explorer on the phone to locate the WM6_BTDUN.cab file and simply tap it, this will install the DUN profile to your device.
Press and hold the power button untill the device pops a message up about turning off, accept the message by pressing Yes - switch on the phone and it will now have the DUN profile installed, you don't have to do anything else on the device - Mike
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, thanks again but the first problem is that when I click on the file it won't allow me to download it without a user name and password - it seems you may have some permissions that I don't have

I have tried this 3 times now with the same result
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do indeed need to be logged into to the forum for downloads - I didn't think of that Embarassed perhaps it will be easier if I e-mail you the file - Mike
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike

Thanks for this, as per e-mail response to you unfortunately unzipping the file only once still 'releases' 3 files and a .xml which doesn't allow me to extract them anywhere or even copy and paste them to the phone
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you unzipped it twice by the sounds of it you unzipped the attachement then unzipped the cab file as that will produce the three files plus xml file you mention, I have sent you the cab file unzipped so just put that straight on the device - Mike
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike

just to let you know that nothing has arrived. It may be a size limiter on my e-mail. I will PM you with my private e-mail address which will hopefully permit larger attachments

thanks
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to close this off and for anybody else who may suffer the same problems with a HTC TyTn II / Vodafone V 1615 smartphone.

Mike eventually managed to get the .cab file over to me and it was installed on the phone. However at that point I still couldn't get the traffic or any TT Plus services to work.

What eventually cracked it was when I paired the TT to the phone rather than the other way around, at that point it has all seemed to work Very Happy

Thanks to Mike for all his help

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: