Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom Navigator & Tungsten T5 installation problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom Navigator & Tungsten T5 installation problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rampton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom Navigator & Tungsten T5 installation problem Reply with quote

I have just purchased a Tungsten T5 and Tom Tom Navigator 2004 setup as a package from PC World.
I have set up the T5 as per the procedure manual but when I try and load the TTN UK map to it I get a 'not enough memory' message after Hotsync fails. Looking at the T5, under the main Menu in Applications it says I only have 49 Mbs of memory left yet under Card Info it tells me I have over 161 Mbs free. I have only loaded the standard software that came with the T5 to keep as much memory free as possible so I have not got any Calender data or spreadsheets loaded on it.
Has anyone any helpful suggestions or has anyone else had the same problem ?. I suspect I need to do a hard reset of the T5 and start again, but I cannot see what I did wrong the first time around.

Cheers.
Rampton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly an apology as I think this Post will be a long one but it may prove helpful to others.

The story.
PC World offering Tom Tom Navigator 4 (?) plus Tungsten T5 for £299 on line, £399 in store. Ordered on line, paid in and picked up from local store. Illogical ?, maybe, but it looked a good price. Interestingly the website advert and the in store description both said is was TTN 4 but it is no longer on the website but it is still in my local store. Anyway it came with 4 CD’s, a small GPS receiver, a cradle for the car plus all the cables. On the TTN box it specifically states it supports the T5, but otherwise there is no other reference to what version the TTN software is. Nor is there anything about it anywhere else in the package.

T5. Setup this up as per the paper manual. No problems.
TTN4. Again followed the paper manual and the one on the CD’s with the kit, both of which I found contradictory, slightly confusing and misleading (more of that later), I installed the TTN application to the T5. It was a different story when I tried to install the maps though. Hotsync kept failing, telling me there was insufficient memory to install. After several fruitless and frustrating hours I gave up.

I then spoke to Palm, Tom Tom and the PC World shop where I bought it, with varying degrees of helpfulness.
Palm – Whilst polite, they told me it was a TT problem.
TT – Spoke to a polite but technically deficient young lady, who informed me she had never heard of the TTN I had purchased. Told me their software went from version 3 straight to the current version 5. They never made a version 4. Also as their website was not responding she couldn’t tell me from my Product code what version it was. I now think I have one of the various incarnations of ver 3. Anyway she advised me that if I got it installed and working then because she didn’t recognise the version I had they wouldn’t be able to support it. Nice one TT.
PC World – Explained all to the store Manager. Very helpful (apart from the usual....but Sir we have sold loads of these and yours is the first we have had problems with....If that is the case why are there still the same number of boxed sets on the shelves ?). Anyway I had the following choices :-
1) A complete refund. Tempting.
2) Exchange it (TTN and the T5) for a TT Go. Again tempting but I would have to pay a lot more, and which one would I get, TTG 300, 50 or 700 ?. Plus I like the idea of a non obsolete PDA to replace my obsolete Clie TH55 which will do a lot more than just Satnav and it can still be used as a walking Satnav. Anyone tried sticking a TTG in their pocket ?.
3) Let PC World have a go at setting it up for me. Not tempting because if they have to do it, then it does not bode well for the future if I want to upgrade etc myself.
4) Pay PC World £50 to swap my TTN4 (?) for TTN5 when it comes into stock. Decided on this option although I can get the upgrade cheaper directly from TT.

Being an obstinate b****r I wouldn’t accept defeat so as my Son has a T3 with a 128 Mb SD expansion card, I resolved to have another go myself by borrowing his card.
To cut an already long story short, I got the damn thing working last night but not by using the SD card. The T5 has 256 Mb of memory divided into approx. 215 Mb of internal user memory and the rest given over to ‘ROM’ memory. Following the manual advice I had originally installed the main TTN application into the T5’s internal memory which it turns out is actually the ROM part hence why I had an insufficient memory error when I tried to install the maps to the same place. By ignoring the TTN manual advice to install everything to the T5 internal memory and instead choosing the storage card route even though I had no storage card in the T5, it loaded everything to the T5 internal memory that had 151 Mb free space. Bingo, success (of sorts).

When I loaded the GB map, at first I only loaded the South as it saved space. I then loaded the North. However it didn’t work too well when I tried to set up a route from home to say, Newcastle, however I could set my Home address.
I then deleted both the separate North and South maps and installed the whole GB map, but now I have lost the ability to set my Home address as the starting point. It flatly refuses to let me change it as the function is ‘greyed out’.

Anyway that’s as far as I have got last night (or should that be early this morning ?), but I think I will now do a hard reset on the T5 and then reinstall everything again in one go using the procedure above and hopefully that will at least get me going until I can either get the full TTN5 or the upgrade but I think it would be worth the extra money and get the full TTN5 instead of the upgrade.
I have to say all this leaves me feeling a tad disappointed as I naively thought it would be a simple set up and go job. I am fairly technically literate but heaven help any one else who isn’t.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: