Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Whats Wrong with POI Edit?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Whats Wrong with POI Edit?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeanBaker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Whats Wrong with POI Edit? Reply with quote

Hi All.

I just bought myself a TomTom GO 720 and was looking to get some POI's so I thought of this place first. I've been using a bit of POI software called POI Edit but it does not seem to be working. When I go to the POI Edit website and do a site check it says the connection to this site is down see here http://www.poiedit.com/sites.htm. Does anyone know if this is a temporary or permenant thing?

Cheers all
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing wrong with POI Edit, it is simply that this web site no longer supports is use for downloads, if you go to This Page you will be able to download lots of different POI categories, the installation instructions are on the page as well - Mike
theenglishman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
There is nothing wrong with POI Edit, it is simply that this web site no longer supports is use for downloads, if you go to This Page you will be able to download lots of different POI categories, the installation instructions are on the page as well - Mike

Can I ask why? It was just so easy to use POIEdit to download and keep such POIs updated.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We compile our files 'on the fly' from a master database. POIedit does not support this.
theenglishman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are there any plans to automate the downloads to keep systems up to date?

And many of the old POI files aren't available now - 'Airfields' for example. 'AA Walks in Surrey'. 'Pub Grub'. 'High Quality Pubs' etc etc

Shame.........
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't plan to automate it simply because we support a vast number of different manufacturers, few of which have any facility for automation. TomTom is but one of many popular devices after all.

I don't have any specific knowledge of the POIs you mention but all those that we used to have were incorporated into the new system so I would be surprised if they were not there? I'll ask Richard, our POI Database Administrator, if he has any comment to add on those specific POIs.

Last edited by Darren on Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theenglishman wrote:
So are there any plans to automate the downloads to keep systems up to date?

And many of the old POI files aren't available now - 'Airfields' for example. 'AA Walks in Surrey'. 'Pub Grub'. 'High Quality Pubs' etc etc

Shame.........

I think that you are referring to files in the POI downloads that were present on the website before the online database was set up as I know that the 'AA Walks in Surrey' POI file has never been in the new database. You will find the AA Walks POI on my website under http://rjdavies.users.btopenworld.com/html/walks.html

In the online database you will find Airport under Transport, and Pub under Food & Drink. Classifying a pub as High Quality is very subjective so we just have a generic Pub subcategory. There is a subcategory Dining Pub, see http://www.diningpubs.co.uk/, but most people are not aware that this is a specific subcategory and so I do not update it.

We would have liked to have had POIs for pubs in the Good Pub Guide but for copyright reasons it is not allowed. In fact the Good Pub Guide now has its own POI file for Garmin satnavs.

Richard

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: