Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mio C710 time problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mio C710 time problem
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GPSBear
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Mio C710 time problem Reply with quote

First time I have used my C710 this year - The PDA time is one hour ahead. I checked the PDA time zone and that is GMT London. Time sync page of mio shows correct time for GPS but on auto syncing it insists on setting the PDA one hour ahead.
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Mio C710 time problem Reply with quote

GPSBear wrote:
First time I have used my C710 this year - The PDA time is one hour ahead. I checked the PDA time zone and that is GMT London. Time sync page of mio shows correct time for GPS but on auto syncing it insists on setting the PDA one hour ahead.

Hard rest and try again.

Make absolutely sure after hard reset that PDA time is set for GMT (London and Dublin or whatever) and then allow the device a couple of hours or so to synch with the GPS signal. The synch is flaky and I have experienced the problem you describe - but only for an hour or so and it usually fixes itself after a hard reset.

What version of Miomap are you using and which version date?

Gareth.
GPSBear
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done whatever reset the slider power button does. I can never remember if that is hard or soft :-( That makes no difference. MioMap is 3.2 Mar 14 2007

Edit. Tried the pin in the reset - makes no difference. The time on the Sat page is correct. The time for GPS on the sync page is correct. Every other time is one hour ahead.

Dunno if it has any bearing but when I turned it on after Christmas to load a new camera DB I found that the battery had gone completely flat.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My version of Mio Map is Sep 2006 in mt 710.
I had the same problem once, but as Retty said, it sorted itself out. It seems to take a while for the change from BST to GMT as well. It sounds like yours is on BST.
Both my device and Mio clock read GMT at present, and I run with auto synch on all the time.
I think mine sorted itself after I had changed the timezone on the device a few times, but this might have been pure co-incidence, but it might be worth a try if you havn't already done that.
GPSBear
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was OK before Christmas, before the battery went flat. Been on for a couple of hours now and still wrong.
GPSBear
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is one hour ahead *whatever* timezone I set. With auto sync off and the PDA correct the time sync screen shows GPS and PDA the same. Hit the sync button and the PDA jumps one hour forwards. It does not matter what time zone is set or even if you put the date back to BST
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than the fact that I had the problem for a while and it 'went away', I give in. Sad Sorry
ROBCALLY
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: TIME SIGNAL Reply with quote

I also have the same problem on my 510 let the battery go flat
over xmas and when i restarted it was a hour out and cannot adjust
it back.
Robcally
GPSBear
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got bored watching it just sitting there and for no good reason I decided to try the skin, or whatever you want to call it, from mioscripting.blogspot.com. I replaced data.zip via bluetooth (eventually). For safety I loaded it as new-data.zip. I then found the bluetooth FTP interface won't let you rename files - it wants to copy them :-( So I did a soft unlock and used explorer to rename the files. I used the date/time program from control panel rather than the one normally presented. When miomap came up - the clock was now correct!

On the subject of the new skin. I like it, but does anyone know how to contact the author? The text file that comes with it says report problems on the blog but I can't see how one does that.
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPSBear wrote:
Well I got bored watching it just sitting there and for no good reason I decided to try the skin, or whatever you want to call it, from mioscripting.blogspot.com. I replaced data.zip via bluetooth (eventually). For safety I loaded it as new-data.zip. I then found the bluetooth FTP interface won't let you rename files - it wants to copy them :-( So I did a soft unlock and used explorer to rename the files. I used the date/time program from control panel rather than the one normally presented. When miomap came up - the clock was now correct!

On the subject of the new skin. I like it, but does anyone know how to contact the author? The text file that comes with it says report problems on the blog but I can't see how one does that.

Ah, I was just about to suggest setting the time in Windows using the soft unlock. It's probably worth posting your finding to a FAQ somewhere because other people will be banging their head with the time setting problem. I have had a similar problem in the past but it has eventually sorted itself out.

Questions about skins sometimes get a response in the Mio skins thread on gpspassion where many skins are posted. The 3.3 (igo) skins can't be used with 3.2 though.
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud! When I posted to this thread I didn't realise that my device has *exactly* the same problem!

The problem as you say is with the time zone settings in Windows CE on the device - the time zone options aren't set.

I didn't lose battery power. Quite why the problem only presents itself at certain points (when daylight saving isn't an issue) is something I can't answer. It seems though that once the Miomap software has initially set the time for Windows in respect of current time in current time zone it doesn't do so again even if the time synch with GPS signal is set and the correct time should be calculated by the time zone settings in the Mio software. Surely though a hard reset should force it to? It doesn't seem to though.

It may be worth putting this sort of information in a FAQ (if there is one!)

Basically without using at least the soft hack there's no way of solving this problem.
ROBCALLY
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without seeming to thick could someone please explain a soft unlock and used the date/time program from control panel rather than the one normally presented.
Regards,
Robcally
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROBCALLY wrote:
Without seeming to thick could someone please explain a soft unlock and used the date/time program from control panel rather than the one normally presented.
Regards,
Robcally

Hold down the middle 2 buttons on the device during the soft reset of the device (pressing the small pin hole button).

You can then access the Windows desktop. Don't delete anything and obey the usual rules to avoid the potential problem of fubar.

Using the Windows date/time setting from Control Panel allows you to fix this time problem *but* I've notice that setting the daylight savings option or/and time zone option can cause other problems for the device: it seems that the time used by the Mio software isn't always updated when the device is turned off. I haven't tried to clarify whether or not it's the daylight savings setting or the time zone setting that's causing this. It may be neither of them.
ROBCALLY
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Retty,
Thats seemed to have solved the problem.
Many Thanks Again
Robcally
GPSBear
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After five days I got a response from what passes for support at Mio. Remember, according to the GPSPassion forums, this is a long standing *known* problem that has been reported to them.

"In regards to your email, what you can do is go to the time sync option and turn off the auto correction. This should solve your problem."

I really am at a loss for words. Sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: