Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Installing TTN6 maps on PDA running TTn5
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Installing TTN6 maps on PDA running TTn5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
armstrap
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Installing TTN6 maps on PDA running TTn5 Reply with quote

Hi. Hope someone can help me. I have a Medion MDPNA (running on Windows Mobile 2003 OS), on which TTN 5.0 works fine (despite not being recognised by TomTom). Having studied the Pocket GPS compatibility matrix, I have bought a (legit) new copy of Western European Maps v6.6 on DVD, which should work with TTN 5. However, it comes with TT Home and the instructions only relate to using that, which doesn't get very good press in the forums. My questions are;
1. How do I install the maps by-passing TT Home, to work with TTN 5?
2. Is it worth updating to TTN 6 (there is an application folder on the dvd which includes a cab file called ttn.ppc_6.010)? Again TomTom support don't recognise my PDA so do not know if it will work.....
Thanks in anticipation
armstrap
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must say I'm a bit disappointed that no-one has responded to what I thought would be a fairly simple question, at least to those in the know. Can nobody help me?
Sad
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 660 map was produced in two versons one was for TTN5 the other for TT6, it would apear you have the verson 6 type.

Could you please state where you bought this product from though and in what folder is the CAB file - Mike
armstrap
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought it from Pentagon GPS who advertise on your site, assuming V6.6 would be OK as per your compatbility matrix. There are 2 folders containing cab files, one called 'app', which appears to be the software applications for different devices (although the box says the software is not included) and the other is 'map'. I would be happy to upgrade to V6 if I knew my PDA could take it, but TomTom don't know...
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

armstrap wrote:
I bought it from Pentagon GPS who advertise on your site, assuming V6.6 would be OK as per your compatbility matrix. There are 2 folders containing cab files, one called 'app', which appears to be the software applications for different devices (although the box says the software is not included) and the other is 'map'. I would be happy to upgrade to V6 if I knew my PDA could take it, but TomTom don't know...

Why not just take a backup of your system as it is then try? If all else fails just restore?
armstrap
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've tried to install V6 via TT Home and it appears to work, gives me a new device code, confirms my product code and generates an activation code on the TT website. Put that in and it says "Code incorrect". So I contact TT support, who eventually reply and actually call me. Very friendly bloke, who tried to help but concluded that I knew more about it than him..... and he couldn't make it work, as I had bought the new maps and not the full package. But the V6 application is in there and I thought that bit was free anyway? So now I am stuck with my old V5 and a set of new maps that are NFU. Brilliant - thank you TomTom.

PS It is clear from the forum discussions that only V6.60, build 1223 maps work with TTN5, but where you can get them from now is not clear - beware.
Targonis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately my only experience has been to install new maps and to switch from the 1GB card that came with my setup to a 4GB card.

My own feeling is that if you use Tomtom Home 1.5, you should be able to update your application version to 6.030 or whatever the latest version is that you have. You should then be able to use your old maps with that new version.

From there, you should be able to use Tomtom Home to install the new maps, which may prompt you for the product activation for your new maps, and that should then work for you.

If this does not work for you, I don't know what to tell you except that since the application update is free, and you have paid for the new maps, those new maps may not be compatible with your application version. As I understand it, Application version 6.00-6.99 will only work with maps up to 675. The 700 series maps require application version 7, which is not available for the PDA platforms just yet.

So, try the old maps, in a worst case, Tomtom should refund your money from your new map purchase, or generate you an activation code manually(which should work over the phone). The holidays were a bit crazy, so things SHOULD be a little calmer over at Tomtom, and you should be able to get a higher quality of support.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: