Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - John Cleese in America?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

John Cleese in America?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmickley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:20 am    Post subject: John Cleese in America? Reply with quote

I have not yet received my TomTom 700 - it should be here tomorrow. However, one of the things that excited me about receiving the TomTom was using John Cleese as my directing voice. I just read a review on amazon.com which stated that US users could not access the voice or use it - is this true?

If it isn't, what is the process that I undergo to download and install the voice - do I have to wait for a CD in the mail, or is it downloadable?

Thanks very much.

-Dennis
Unplugged
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldent have thought so maybe not though the unit but there must be a way of buying it direct from the the TomTom site.

The problem with the Custom Voices are that they place loads of kak where the "You have reached your destination" comes into play and the Tom Tom then goes "At the end of the road turn right and then you have reched your destination <stupid rubbish>" then as you tun the courner "after 50 Yards you have reached your destination <stupid rubbish> and then finally "you have rached your destination <stupid rubbish>" after 3 or 4 times in the apace fo a minute they start to pee you off
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy it directly from the TOMTOM Site, Download it then copy it to your TT.

I'm not sure whether or not you can use it on an American TT - with a USA map some of the instructions wouldn't make sense (i.e no roundabouts/ inclusion of intersections etc). Saying that I used my UK SP3 in Wisconsin, Chicago and NYC last year no problem.

I'm sure somebody who visits this forum will have tried it.

Chris
Zaki
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unplugged wrote:
Wouldent have thought so maybe not though the unit but there must be a way of buying it direct from the the TomTom site.

The problem with the Custom Voices are that they place loads of kak where the "You have reached your destination" comes into play and the Tom Tom then goes "At the end of the road turn right and then you have reched your destination <stupid rubbish>" then as you tun the courner "after 50 Yards you have reached your destination <stupid rubbish> and then finally "you have rached your destination <stupid rubbish>" after 3 or 4 times in the apace fo a minute they start to pee you off

Nothing wrong with the John Cleese voice (but you obviously bought it) Have you not been to a Ferry yet, you must get very stressed out when your driving.
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaki wrote:

Have you not been to a Ferry yet.

I take it he says something funny - What is it (I don't really catch ferries Wink ).

Chris
Unplugged
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaki wrote:
Unplugged wrote:

Nothing wrong with the John Cleese voice (but you obviously bought it) Have you not been to a Ferry yet, you must get very stressed out when your driving.

Laughing Out Loud I live about 10 miles from Dover but ive never used it to nabigate Cross Ferry.

The irritation is not directly with the john cleeves voice but with all voices including the default one a typical route home with the default voice at the end of the journed consists of.

At the end of the Road turn right then you have reached your Destination...
In 50 Yards you have reached your destination.
You have reached your destination.

All that in the space of 3 minutes and coupled with John Cleeves going on about suitcases 2 or 3 times in the space of a minute is enougth to p**s anybody off.
Zaki
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I understand where your coming from :D yes that is a little annoying, but once you have unloaded the suitcases yourself and get in doors, have a stiff drink you soon forget about it Laughing
Unplugged
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you have to Drive somewhere else then you cant drink and your screwed Laughing
dmickley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I figured out the problem - the tomtom site won't let you checkout with items in your cart when you select your nation as the United States. It works for all countries but Australia and the United States.

I tried checking out with the UK as my selected country, but then when it got to billing address, it wouldn't let me select America as my billing address...

ugh. What a hassle.
dmickley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, heck, I didn't mean to end my post so quickly.

Once again, gentlemen, I put myself at your mercy - any idea how I can buy the John Cleese voice outside of the TomTom site, or somehow coax the site into letting me use a US billing address?

Thanks again,

-Dennis
Mit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: John Cleese???? Reply with quote

Dennis

You can't be serious about wanting John Cleese's voice on your Tom Tom..He's from Weston-Super-Mare for heavens sake! Laughing Laughing

Mit

( who paid a visit to Doune Castle a few weeks ago...where 'They' filmed Monty Python and the Holy Grail.....all those years ago)
dmatos
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too wanted John Cleese (maybe we don't get enough of him in the States), but I contacted TomTom.... Here is their reply. I did what they said and downloaded it through HOME and it works just fine.
---
Thank you for contacting TomTom. We appreciate the time you have taken to contact us in regards purchasing the John Clesse voice for your TomTom One LE. Our goal is to provide you with exceptional customer service, and we are happy to help! There are many voices available for immediate download in our TomTom HOME. HOME is a valuable management tool for your unit. If you have never used this program before, you will find instructions to download it from our website below. These steps will allow you to purchase and download the John Cleese voice.• Go to www.tomtom.com/home• Click on Download (.exe or .zip) file (.dmg for MAC users)• In the menu that shows click on ‘Save’ and save to your Desktop• Minimize the TomTom screen and go to your Desktop• Locate the HOME setup download and double click to begin the installer• Follow the instructions until installation is complete Once TomTom HOME is active, connect your unit to your computer using the USB Cable. Please login using your email address and password by selecting login on the upper right side. To locate downloadable voices in the HOME program, please take the following steps: - Click 'Add Maps, Traffic, Voices etc.' on the Main Menu Page 1.- Click Voices- Find and choose the desired voice (By deselecting 'Show only recommended items' in the lower left corner, you will get a larger list of voices in other languages.)- Select 'Buy' on the right sideand follow all prompts to purchase, download and install the voice to your device. If you have any further questions or comments, please email or call us
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmickley wrote:
Oops, heck, I didn't mean to end my post so quickly.

Once again, gentlemen, I put myself at your mercy - any idea how I can buy the John Cleese voice outside of the TomTom site, or somehow coax the site into letting me use a US billing address?

Thanks again,

-Dennis

To be honest i was talking to someone in another post about voices earlier and as one of the moderators pointed out to me it could be pirating if we list them here and you are not allowed that in this site. And also they could be corrupt so look out. Exclamation
GO 510 (in drawer now, time for upgrade)
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom wrote:
TomTom HOME is a valuable management tool for your unit.

Now I've heard "Home" called a LOT of things before Wink , but never that... Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: