Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - cannot save POI warning settings?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

cannot save POI warning settings?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
radioman66
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: cannot save POI warning settings? Reply with quote

I have tomtom6 running on an IPAQ 2210 and all was working fine until the pda crashed recently and I had to reinstall the oftware. Now I cannot get the POI warning setings to save? Every time I attempt to manage POIs and set warnings and sounds etc it works fine while I am intomtom but when the application is closed down all the settings are lost next time I open it up - its very frustrating! All other POI settings seem ok - i have created new POIs etc and they are still there but all the speed camera settings disappear? any help much appreciated.
thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put the memory card into a card reader and use Windows Explorer to view the folder/file contents, locate the Map folder and within it the MapSettings.cfg file right click this and select properties, uncheck the read only box this should clear the fault.
The only other possibility is the read/ write lock switch on the side of the memory card, make sure it is NOT set to lock
Welcome to the forum by the way - Mike
radioman66
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, Thanks for that. The SD card is definitely unlocked as I can save other things to it. I can explore the SD card and have a tomtom folder and in that is a folder - \SD Card\SD Card\GB_plus_major_roads_of_WE

In this folder there are lots of pocketgps bitmap and ovi files and a file MapSettings - but it just says it is a microsoft office outlook configuration file and i cannot get into it? there is a mapinfo dat file and lots of other dat files too. But I cannot see the mapsettings.cfg file to find its properties.

Any ideas?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two possibilities:

1. This is a common viewing problem. It's just that you can't SEE the three letter extensions that are there because Windows thinks they are too scary, and has hidden them.

If you want Windows to treat you like a grown-up and show them to you (it can be very useful):

In Windows Explorer (or My Computer)...
Go to the 'Tools' Menu,
Select 'Folder Options'
Select the 'View' tab
Scroll down the list of entries and UN-tick "Hide extensions for known file types"

You will then see your file IS called "MapSettings.cfg.

You still won't "be able to get into it", but you CAN right click on it to view its properties and check/change that read-only setting.

Don't worry about what Windows THINKS that extension is used for - remember the TomTom is Linux based and uses the file extensions to signify different things from Windows programs.

2. You really HAVEN'T got the file.

Double check to see if it is there now you have the extensions visible.

Also, I'm a bit worried by your quoted folder path. Is it really "tomtom \SD Card\SD Card\GB_plus_major_roads_of_WE"?
radioman66
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again. I can now see the mapsettings.cfg file but cannot change any of the properties. Right click shows read only is checked but I cannot change it?
the folder path is just where I downloaded the software onto my SD card.

It is not "tomtom \SD Card\SD Card\GB_plus_major_roads_of_WE"

just "\SD Card\SD Card\GB_plus_major_roads_of_WE"

if that makes any difference?

I now have all voice commands, bluetooth, gps, routes, maps, favourites etc working fine. I have also created new POI categories (Home etc) and they all remain when the application is restarted but all the speed camera warning distances and sounds etc disappear whenever I close the app down?

hmmmm - frustrating, but thanks for the help so far....
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, I think we might be getting somewhere (but unfortunately its also close to the end of my PC/Windows knowledge!)

If the MapSettings.cfg is set to read-only, that is definitely your problem, and I THINK the reason you can't change it is because one of the folders ABOVE it (i.e. the one it is in or the one THAT is in etc.) has also got set to read-only. Have a look at the properties of those, and see if you can change them. You MIGHT have to follow this up several levels.

I'm also still a bit concerned by that double "SD Card/SD Card" directory structure - just seems a bit strange. But if its working OK, I'd leave it.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

radioman66 wrote:
Thanks again. I can now see the mapsettings.cfg file but cannot change any of the properties. Right click shows read only is checked but I cannot change it?
One possibility is to copy the file to your PC and change the Read Only attribute there.

Copy the changed file back to the SD Card, clicking Yes when asked if you want to Overwrite.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you put the Memory Card in to a crad reader or did you try doing this via an Active Sync connections with the card still in the PDA? - you must use a card reader, or use the method Richard has detailed above.

The actual folder path you have posted also seems strange, but this could also be explained if you are using Active Sync - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: