Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - No Maps Found! - I've screwed up my TomTom One!!!!!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

No Maps Found! - I've screwed up my TomTom One!!!!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MysteryMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: No Maps Found! - I've screwed up my TomTom One!!!!!! Reply with quote

I've got a One v2, which has been fine for a few months and just bought my wife a v3 for Christmas.

I've just dropped a clanger by uninstalling the map from my v2 (UK and Ireland) and tried to copy the one from the v3.

Now when I switch on it says 'No Maps Found!'

I've tried to restore from a backup, but, no difference.

Anyone any ideas how to rectify the problem?

Cheers!
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you try to restore? By copying the map file from the backup to the unit using Windows Explorer?

If so, fwiw, that method didn't work for me when I got that error some time back. I needed (I'm using a TT720) to use TTHome to copy from the pc to the unit; I suspect the file mapsettings.cfg gets created that way and is needed by the firmware to 'see' the map installed.

Anyway, worked for me.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to say the exact opposite, but you don't need to use Home to restore maps from a backup. In fact, the endlessly recommended way to MAKE backups is not to use Home at all (because you get this sort of failure all too often for whatever reason).

Try to search your PC harddrive with Windows Explorer and find where that backup is (it will be somewhere in Your Documents under TomTom/Home).
If it is a good backup. it should have a map folder called 'UK and Ireland' or something similar. You should be able to just copy that back onto the One, again by using Explorer NOT Home.

As you now know, you cannot copy maps from one unit to another. TT go to great lengths to stop people doing that!
MysteryMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:

Try to search your PC harddrive with Windows Explorer and find where that backup is (it will be somewhere in Your Documents under TomTom/Home).
If it is a good backup. it should have a map folder called 'UK and Ireland' or something similar. You should be able to just copy that back onto the One, again by using Explorer NOT Home.

That worked a treat! Many thanks for the help
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MysteryMan wrote:

You lucky Devil!! I had you down as a candidate for jumping off a nearby bridge.

So now follow Andy's advice and do backups of both your and your wife's devices, using Windows Explorer.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MysteryMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
MysteryMan wrote:

You lucky Devil!! I had you down as a candidate for jumping off a nearby bridge.

So now follow Andy's advice and do backups of both your and your wife's devices, using Windows Explorer.

Aye aye, skipper!
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For trying to illegally copy, (pirated software ) from one TomTom to another, you should be made to walk the plank, you salty sea dog.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was putting him in the honest mistake ("...your honour") category... Cool
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Sorry to say the exact opposite, but you don't need to use Home to restore maps from a backup. In fact, the endlessly recommended way to MAKE backups is not to use Home at all (because you get this sort of failure all too often for whatever reason).

What I'm saying (and this is only based upon personal experience), is that I had NO backup of NA 7.10 to begin with. After I did dl it, I tried to copy the North America folder from the zip file and overwrite the NA folder (now empty of the 7.05 map and associated files) I removed from the unit.

I got the 'no map found error'.

But, after stripping enough stuff from the dl 7.10 map stored on my computer, I was successful in using TTHome to copy the (now 'on a diet') 7.10 map to the unit and the unit recognized it.

I totally agree that a backup of version X of a map can be restored using Explorer to the unit replacing the same version X of that map.

Just relating what my experience was, that's all.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
I was putting him in the honest mistake ("...your honour") category... Cool

I was unsure, so I decided to put him into the "voluntarily jump off a bridge" category, which would have neatly resolved any dilemma. Twisted Evil

It raises the point I was only thinking of earlier today. Just how does a Newbie get to know all these things? Like backup before you open the shrinkwrap, don't pirate the maps, don't pirate the PGPSW database, don't buy TT Cameras, don't buy TT Traffic, don't buy TT POIs, read the FAQs, RTFM (only kidding!) and so on and so forth. How many times do we say sanctimoniously "You should have done a Windows Explorer backup first thing" when some poor innocent finds his Satnav waving its legs in the air and breathing shallowly? I never did a backup of my GO300 - but of course, that range was so stable you didn't need to, but it shows that even wise, Aaaaaaard old pensioners are vulnerable too. You get home with your brand new toy, if you're going to waste time reading all the stuff on this website before you unwrap it and plug it into the car and go for a drive and set up and test all the fancy stuff!!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So right Dennis it really is a minefield for any new buyer.
I know from personal experience, my father in law got a unit and since then i have been trying to jerry him up on how the various things work believe me it's not easy, i think technology frightens him!!.
jrwc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been interesting reading this series of posts. I backed up my new TT ONE XL Europe the day I got it using HOME. When it crashed two days later - no map found - I spent hours working on it an talking to the helpline. They now want it back for repair. Am I better to do that or return it to Amazon for a replacement?
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would be quicker getting a replacement. Does restoreing the back-up not fix your problem.
GO 510 (in drawer now, time for upgrade)
jrwc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Restoring does not work - either using HOME or manually. I've even reformatted the flash memory (as instructed by TT) and reinstalled (using both Mac and PC) but no success. Any other suggestions would be helpful before I package the TT and send it off.
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrwc wrote:
Restoring does not work - either using HOME or manually. I've even reformatted the flash memory (as instructed by TT) and reinstalled (using both Mac and PC) but no success. Any other suggestions would be helpful before I package the TT and send it off.

Can you see it as a storage device, if so is their the same amount of folders on the device as is in the back-up.
GO 510 (in drawer now, time for upgrade)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: